How much of the time do you use your TE?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Aug 18, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2010

50%, 75%, 85%? Can't live without it %? If you don't use your TE much, why not and how do you teach the lessons? Thanks.

3. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 18, 2010

It depends on the subject! For reading and math, I'd say about 85-90%. Our reading and math curriculum are really up-to-date, aligned with the standards and offer excellent resources & activities. For science/social studies, it's much less (the texts are old and outdated).

4. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 18, 2010

I rarely use my TE.
    I follow the sequence in math and I will use some of the resources, but I like to supplement and add other lessons from different programs.

I use the TE in Language Arts when we read from the basal readers (but we only do that 4 times a year). We read a lot of novels throughout the year.

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 18, 2010

Ditto. Depends on the subject and the day.

6. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 18, 2010

I would say about 80-85% of the time for all. I like the way TE's guide the lessons, and keep me on task. It is easy for me to get off task, so, yeah, I follow the TE's.

7. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 18, 2010

Well currently we dont have one for ELA so I am using powerpoints and we are reading novels. I am teaching the 8 parts of speech and I teaching reading strategies. For social studies I do use my TE, but it is outdated. I think I use it about 90 %.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2010

Where I teach, if the principal walks in, and you are not teaching from the manual, you are busted. If you don't have it in your hand then you need to have memorized it.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 18, 2010

Are you joking? That's terrible. I teach History and I rarely if ever use a teacher's edition.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2010

I'm not joking. We're an "Open Court" district where they view the curriculum as a means for administrators to exert control over what goes on in the classroom. And they've started to adopt a similar philosophy for other subjects as well.

11. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

Sarge, I finally got direct permission from an admin to do whatever will work best for the kids including getting rid of or altering Open Court as I feel fit! The pendulum is swinging! Our district was where yours is about 10 years ago.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

I use mine anytime we are using the textbooks. It has it's own stretchy book cover. lol.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2010

I'm not required to use the TE for anything , but reading and math cover everything we are supposed to teach and the program was written for Florida standards. Why reinvent the wheel when the TE already covers what I need to teach? I don't use a TE for any other subject.

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

I don't use the textbook TE at all because I already know the literature, and I create my own questions (or the kids do) as we read.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2010

I've never used a Teacher's Edition. I don't think I was given one when I first started, so I never got into the habit.

I teach math. If I need someone else to tell me the answers, or highlight what's important, I'm in serious trouble. I know what the kids learned last year, and what they'll need to know next year.

As to the pacing, we have a syllabus. Over the summer I work out my own pacing guide to work within the parameters of what must be taught each marking period. (As a new teacher, my department chair-- a little old nun--taught the same courses I did. SHE was my pacing guide :) )

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2010

There are Teacher's Editions?

17. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 19, 2010

I have never used a TE. I do not feel as though the textbooks at my school coincide with the "newer" curriculum, so I do not even give them to students.

18. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

Miss Jill, you only use the basal readers four times a year? What about teaching conventions, spelling, etc? You don't use the practice book either? Do you teach in a private school?

If you don't mind telling me, what are some of the novels that you read during the year? How many do you read? Which ones are your student's favorites? Thanks.

19. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

We are expected to meet all the curricular outcomes, so following the curriculum guide is much more important then using a Teacher's Edition. Sometimes, we have an outcome that isn't covered in the textbook so we need to design our own activities to meet it.

20. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 19, 2010

My grammar TE is the only one I really use (about 10 minutes of our day). For reading, I do all guided reading (each group has a different book that they are working on).

For Math we get an outline from the county that tells what is covered in each Investigations unit, and I go from there covering the standards.

Science and Social Studies I don't ever use the textbooks. They don't really address our standards, and our SS book is much too hard for our students. I do a lot of lessons using the smartboard or other hands-on activities.

21. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 19, 2010

This is how it is where I teach. Everything is scripted.

22. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 19, 2010

I have them. This is my fourth year teaching the same subject, the last 3 years I did use them, each year less and less. This year we've revamped the curriculum for the class and the students are only using the two books as a resource if needed. Therefore I don't use mine at all. I do like some of the activities along the border of the TE and will flip open the book to use one in a group or center activity.

I always had a plan to slowly wean myself off having TE in hand at all times. I would rather not use it, however, when first starting at the school-which is in a different state than I live/grew up and new to the subject- I had to use it to get a feel of what was to be taught.

I'm glad we don't have to follow a script-the core content and standards to follow are enough. IMHO

23. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

I like them as a resource. I think I relied a little more on it than I would have liked last year in Math... I don't really have a TE for any other class. I suppose there are some for our science units... but I didn't think to check.

This year, I plan to use the TE in Math primarily as a guide for what to teach when through the year.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 19, 2010

I don't even know where mine are.

I don't need mine. My BA and MA are in the subject I teach, so I'm really comfortable with my subject area. I don't really even use most of the resources that come with my textbooks.

25. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 19, 2010

I use it primarily as an additional textbook. I need to read what the students are reading and they really need to read the chapters we are in. I use the test bank for most of my questions and I tweak only a few of them. With chemistry, I use the TE for the questions and double check my answers. However, I have found a few mistakes.

I do like a lot of the suggestions I've found in the TE but most of the activities we do in class come from other teachers or things I have created on my own.

26. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 19, 2010

I think I have used my Health TE once this year so far. I haven't even opened the Reading (since we have gone to Reader's Workshop), Math (since we have gone to Math Workshop), Grammar, Social Studies (doesn't match our standards), or Science (will use it because it IS aligned with the standards). It's frowned upon for us to use any worksheets this year (new super doesn't like them) and they really don't want us to use the textbooks either.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

I don't use them. Too heavy :lol: They make excellent paperweights.

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2010

I NEVER used it in math.

In science, I use it maybe 40% of the time and only to read with the class. A student book would work just as well.

29. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

What teacher's edition? We don't have one for writing.

30. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 20, 2010

I use mine as my own copy of the textbook rather than for all of the bells and whistles that are included in it. What Sarge described happens in a lot of places. It just does not happen where I teach. Special Education has its perks where I am at because we have to individualize for students so that gives us much more leeway (sp?)

31. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

I never use me TE. I actually keep it at home, just to check the homework. My kids actually don't use the textbook either, it's only used for homework. I give my kids a notes set for every chapter and we use those in class. I expand upon the notes with extra details, specifics and vocab words. We then do a lot of practice from other resources I've collected. I seriously couldn't survive without all my workbooks that I've purchased through out the years.

32. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 20, 2010

I think my TE's are under the sink in my classroom, but I'm not really sure. I don't remember where I put them when I moved into this classroom 3 years ago. :) I teach 5th grade literacy, and I use trade books to teach reading and writing.

33. rdgrocks

rdgrocks Rookie

Aug 20, 2010

In the past, I rarely even used the textbook in class, I used my own readings and materials. However, we just did a new textbook adoption and most of what we teach has to come from the textbook. My creativity is feeling stifled!

34. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2010

My physics textbooks do not have a TE and I have no idea where my physical science TE is. So I guess that I never use a TE.

35. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 20, 2010

The courses I'm teaching this year don't have textbooks!

36. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 20, 2010

maybe 10% of the time.

37. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 20, 2010

I use my reading TE for the read alouds, but since I have my written lesson plans, I use those to teach. We use Saxon Math, and it is scripted, so I have to use it the script for that day's lesson(although I have most of the script memorized!)
    Science has a TE, but I only use it to plan, not when I'm teaching, same for the other subjects(Social Studies, Religion).

38. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 21, 2010

I don't use them.

39. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2010

For Language Arts, I use my TEs about 80% of the time (we use Houghton-Mifflin). We also use Houghton-Mifflin Math, but because I've been teaching 2nd grade for five years now, I don't use my TE as much as I used to.

40. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Aug 22, 2010

I use my math TE about 10% of the time and the reading program, I don't use the TE anymore, but follow the program to the script. Other subjects, I don't have curriculum, let alone TEs, which is fine with me! A little bit of balance is good and I like our reading program, otherwise I'd follow it less rigidly.