How much of a salary should I ask for in a .2 position?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JAM101, May 11, 2015.

1. JAM101

JAM101 Rookie

May 11, 2015

Hi everyone. I'm a student teacher right now but am getting considered for a .2 teaching position, which would only be 1 class. I don't have much experience except for subbing for less than a year and my student teaching experience. But I am an alumni of the high school, and have been working there and doing my student teaching there. I have a BA in applied psychology and a masters degree in teaching secondary, with an endorsement in psychology. By the time I start teaching I will also have a special education endorsement. I am also bilingual in Spanish. So with this information, how much should I expect to be offered? should I even negotiate my salary? This district pays very well by the way.

Thanks

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

May 12, 2015

You should expect 1/5 of the normal certified teaching salary for your experience level. For example, if you make $40,000 as a 1 FTE teacher, you'd make $8000 as a .2 position.

4. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 12, 2015

If there is a salary schedule and a union, you cannot negotiate or you would look ridiculous. If you can find the salary schedule, you can calculate 20% of what a first year teacher makes. This will probably not be enough to live on and you should seek out other work.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 12, 2015

Also, insurance is usually very expensive for part-time teachers.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2015

Here, salary, benefits and responsibilities (such as supervision duties) are prorated for part-time teachers.

7. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

May 12, 2015

There are two ways you can look at this:

Yes insurance is expensive for a part time teacher (I am a part time teacher and even at the prorated rate it is sometimes more than I make in a month....there have been two months where I had to pay my district to keep me on the plan..I am an hourly employee not salary)

Now keeping all,that in mind...given your lacking experience you could use this position as a foot in the door to gain experience and then apply for extra work or another position as they become available.

8. JAM101

JAM101 Rookie

May 12, 2015

Yes, that was my plan. I wasn't even planning on looking for a job until I finish school completely but this one opened up and I'd like to eventually be a full time teacher here. Also, if I already have my own health insurance, do I still need to pay the insurance for the school?

9. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

May 12, 2015

No if you have your own insurance don't worry about it...get some experience while finishing school. Like you, I was in school when I was offered the current job. I am now done and looking for fulltime.

I liked it because it gave me time to get experience while finishing my credential. Just be ready to be busy! My job doesn't start until 11am everyday. There are many days when I was in my room hours early working on homework.mmi am also able to sub within my school and pick up extra hours. Is this an option for you?! Check it out. Every little bit helps

10. JAM101

JAM101 Rookie

May 12, 2015

Yes, this is exactly what I'm planning on doing! I'm scared but I think it's the perfect start to ease myself into teaching full-time.