How much money?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Chokita, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

How much money have you spent out of your own pocket for your classroom? How do you feel about it? Do you feel like it's a good investment?

Just this month, to prepare my classroom for the new school year, I've spent over 1 thousand dollars already.
    My classroom budget last year was 112 dollars (I spent it partially on Boardmaker).

How can I write the expenses off my taxes? Does anybody have experience in that? How much can you write off?

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

I have spent this year about 400. I will most likely spend about 600 more before the year is out.
    I hate putting my check on the classroom but who is?
    I think it is a good investment but we should get the funds we need for the things we need in the classroom.

In Mississippi we can only write off 250.00. We file our taxes online and the box came up when I entered my profession.

4. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

5. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

I don't mind but I also don't like it. I probably send $1000 a year also and it's been 13 years.

I have found adoptaclassroom.org which is a way to donate money to our classrooms so that we are able to make it a donation (or get other people to donate to our classrooms)

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2008

At my Title I school in TX, I spent probably close to $2500 over two years. The classroom was basically bare when I got there, aside from a few grammar games from the seventies. It was worth it. I usually bought things that I knew my kids needed, or things that I knew were big motivators (lots of free choice items).

Now, I'm in glorious NJ (ha ha) and I get $600 at the beginning of the year and $75 a month. None of this includes classroom supplies such as pencils, notebooks, paperclips, etc. -- that is provided by the school as needed.

It's amazing and I'm LOVING it.

7. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

8. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

Last year I spent very little out of pocket for my classroom because I had a decent budget.

This year. . .I have yet to figure out what my budget is. I've brought in supplies that I've gathered over the years like books, etc. I hit up the school supply sales at the end of summer and spent about $20.00 on stuff. I've spent another 40-50 getting misc stuff.

I am lucky that my classroom came very well furnished. I'm taking pictures eventually. I have a variety of functional games, board maker, work boxes, puzzles, reading series, etc. I know that it's been a big push these past few years to get the necessary supplies.

What I do spend a lot of my own money on is color ink. I like my board maker pictures in color for my students. And our C.D. dept just bought a mini laminator for us to use. It takes almost 2 weeks to get lamination done at central office, so we're all chipping in on the sleeves.

I'm on a tight budget myself with student loans, credit card debt, food, etc. I try not to spend too much on my classroom, but when I do, I hit up dollar stores/dollar general/family dollar first to see if I can find thing relatively cheap in the beginning.