How much money have you personally spent on your classroom so far this year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 7, 2008

I'm a first year teacher. I started buying things for my desk and reading area back in May when I was about to graduate. Then I started buying art supplies because I knew my students would use it. Then came the books for the classroom library - new and used. Then classroom posters, games, puzzles. :blush:

I'm two weeks in and I'm still buying things. My husband is going nuts. Yesterday he told me to quit using so much of our home printer ink for school stuff. :(

I've probably spent close to 1k since May on my classroom. :eek: How about you guys?

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

Last year I spent that much if not more... This year so far about 400. And yes i use as much ink here as I do at the school. That is why I have my own laptop, computer, palm, two printers, just for the stuff I need and husband has his own. That way he can not get mad at me for using so much paper and ink. :)

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2008

This year, I spent maybe $100-150. Last year (my first year), from August-June, I probably spent at least $1200-1500 (that is including money spent on book orders). However, I had a LOT of things I had collected over the year (especially books- but they were mostly picture books and I teach 5th).

I do not print ANYTHING at home. I refuse to.

5. Springdruidess

Springdruidess Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

I think I'm at about $200 so far this year (but that doesn't include the approximately $700 I spent last year as a sub buying things in prep for having my own classroom) AND - I'm not done yet. Only out of money. So I'm waiting for the next paycheck to get the remainder of stuff that I'd like - probably another 300-400. I think.

6. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Sep 7, 2008

Make sure you check come tax time -- some of that can be written off. I know NJ allows us to write off $250 each year for classroom supplies. Not even close to what I actually spend, but every little bit helps.....

7. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

Same here in Mississippi we get 250 tax write off :D

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2008

Okay, I am up to around $300. I figure I would have spent it on candy for myself, so I am ahead on not gaining weight, right? :)

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 7, 2008

Between $40-$50 - Most was at Staples when they had things for 5 cents to 25 cents. A few things at the dollar store. Biggest items were two 6 shelved bins from Target. Originally $24.00 each, got them both for $9. I asked the cashier for a teacher's discount and he knocked $2 off! A cute $15 rug that was marked down at Walgreens's for $4. I never pay full price for classroom items if I can help it.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 7, 2008

I spent close to $3000 my first year. About half of it was for my library and was teacher resources. I am now on my 5th year in a self-contained class and I have spent about $150 but about $70 was on things I wanted but I didn't need. I am at a new school and they pretty well provided me with nothing...I only got 5 teacher resources but no curriculum material. I try not to print things out at home because of the cost of ink.

11. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

Teachers in my state get supply money from the legislature, do other states do that? New teachers get around $1,000, I've taught 12 years so I only get $250. I've probably spent over $200 past that so far, changed grade levels.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2008

No state law here. My county has a set amount of money for the teachers, but it keeps getting smaller because there are more and more teachers it has to be divided between.
    We get about $200 this year (last year it was $235).

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

I'm at about $800 this year, which is a lot more than normal. I know there will be more during the year. My new classroom had NO bookshelves or storage. I bought 8 bookshelves at $18 each, a metal 4 shelf, 3 or 4 carts with drawers, computer desk, tv stand for my printer, 10 drawer colorful metal drawers, vcr/dvd player, etc etc etc.

14. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

I probably spent about $30-$40. I'd rather be creative with things I already have or get freebies somewhere then spend my own personal money.

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2008

This year is my 5th year, so each year I try to spend less and less though this year for some reason, I have spent a lot more. I am probably close to $350 now and we got $320 from P to spend before school closed in May. My first year was a lot worse. Next year, it may be worse because I want to change the theme of my classroom since I have had the same theme for 5 yrs. My plans are to buy a lil' at a time throughout the year so I don't have to spend it all at once.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 7, 2008

I think I'm at just under 1k this year. I made a lot at my garage sale, so I used that money. And I've spent over 100 on Vista Print stuff. And other misc. stuff-really adds up. I know I've spent at least 1k the other years I've taught, too-so put that at about 5k for my room so far. I get TONS of stuff off of freecycle, though, so it all evens out. And my new school is actually very good about getting items I need-they just got me the HSM II soundtrack for the kids to dance to, and some fabric crayons. I was in shock.

17. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 7, 2008

:eek::eek::eek: D*MN, I'm teachin' in the wrong state!! I got a whopping $100 new teacher money. All of the stuff I bought with it fit in one bag. :rolleyes:

18. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 7, 2008

last year was my first year. i taught kinder in a school that had 3 K classrooms and 3 sets of everything - i was the 4th teacher. i ended up spending about $3000 :(

this year i'm probably at about $400 and i am planning on stopping. soon ;-)

19. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

I"m spending less this year with the high cost of gas/groceries. I usually spend at least 100 bucks to get started, and then I spend some each month...usually every time I visit WMart!

20. Dthig65

Dthig65 Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

I've spent around $200, but I did a little "redecorating." I usually spend around $1500 for the entire year, but I'm trying to cut back on that :)

21. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 14, 2008

Well I did it again. I just went out and spent another $100...

It's just so dang easy to do, ya know? My classroom was 95% empty when I got it. I guess I'm just trying to fill it as quickly as possible.

To my credit though, $28 of that was at the dollar store. So at least I got some bargains!

22. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 14, 2008

Too much! I know at least $150 because the PTO for my school provided a check to each teacher for that amount and I was in a second able to give them those receipts for taxes. The rest of the receipts I have for when I do my taxes in February - I am in denial of how much I spend but if I relied on schools or donations I would have very very little.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

I didn't spend all that much this year, maybe $80 . . . and it was all stuff mostly for ME, and not so much for the kids although I did stock up on 1 cent pencils and cheap notebook paper at Staples.

Last week I broke over and bought $70 worth of stress balls before my all-male classes drove me nuts with their fidgets.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2008

I usually spend TONS but last year January our school custodial duties were taken over by a private company and since then they have repeatedly left my classroom door open and I have been burglarized 4 times. This past weekend I was cleaned out again. I'm not spending any more money to help someone's drug habit (or whatever they are stealing for). I have probably lost close to $5000.00 worth of items in the past year and a half. And nothing gets replaced.

25. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

In TN, we get 250 for income tax.

We received 100 a year in the past from the district, now it is zip due to the budget crisis.

26. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

I have spent about 350.00 so far this year at least. I haven't added up my receipts but I know it is a lot. I think I spend way too much but I just can't stop. I will see something that I know will help me with a lesson and I get it. Just last night I went to the Dollar Tree and spent 20.00 on balls for my motion unit.

27. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 18, 2008

At some point, we are supposed to be reimbursed for $200 for supplies. That's nice, if we ever get it. Of course, I've spent over 6 times that amount so far!

28. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 20, 2008

i thihk i spent 30 dollars so far this year, I am REALLY not going to let my spending go over the top,. this year is my 15th year though.