How much money do you spend during the year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teach'em, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Aug 6, 2008

How much money do you spend on your class during the school year? Any time you think you need something for a lesson, do you run out and buy it, or do you try to use what you already have?

3. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I always think what is on hand before going out and buying something I need. I look in the classroom, think if I have something at home, perhaps I can borrow from another teacher, is it in the storage closet, or perhaps I'll even send home a note asking parents if they have it to share. If not, I may go out and buy, especially if it is for an art project or a gift (Mother's Day, Christmas). I am reimbursed for items under $10 through the office's petty cash.

4. smannes

smannes Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Last year, my first year, I ran out and bought it. I WILL NOT DO THAT THIS YEAR! Yes, I'm yelling because I need to convince myself of this :D My problem is that I'm a procrastinator. This year I'm going to try to plan better, therefore I won't have to buy things, and pilfer from other teachers :D

5. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

DITTO!!!:whistle:

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

I'm really good about sending home notes to parents, looking for supplies. I'm also a huge Freecycler, so I get a lot of stuff off there. I don't actually much during the year, except books. It's mostly before school beings prep. I'm thinking my school might help me out this year, though, as it's a private school.

7. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Labs are always the killer for me. Most of the time the school does not have what I need, so I have to pick it up. Someone at my school well I mean it was just yeast you bought . . . okay that was for one lab, what about the 30 other labs I do.

8. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I mostly spend money right before school starts. Now that I have kids of my own I buy very little during the school year for my classroom because I spend it on my own kids.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 6, 2008

We try to plan ahead and have most of the things we need from our orders or parent donations from the wish tree. ANything else, I send a not home at least 90% of the time (usually food items that we don't keep around).