How much money do you get from your school for supplies?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LMichele, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Jul 29, 2014

We get $100 to order from a certain office supply catalogs. There are also basic supplies (copy paper, pens, pencils, staplers, etc.) available in the supply room to be requested. Anything used to decorate classrooms is on the teacher to provide.

2. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 29, 2014

If I need something I can order it. My district is very pro teacher when it comes to ordering items for the classroom. Rugs, furniture, book collections, manipulatives, any type of general or art supply can be ordered. My colleagues and I are very fortunate. I am in a K-3 building. The 4-8 teachers at the Middle School are also able to order as I am.

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 29, 2014

Nothing. We can put in a request for basic office supplies, but it's not always honored depending on how much you order. I put in a request for a 200 pack of pencils from Oriental Trading (cheap-o pencils because my students used around 300 pencils last year), and that was not fulfilled.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 29, 2014

$300, but have to purchase from a specific catalog with sky high prices. The real question should be, how much do most teachers spend out of their own pocket per year, because that is more of the reality! I spend $300-$400 out of pocket, and just consider that part of the job. Doesn't make it right, but it is the job!

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2014

$1100
    We have to purchase EVERYTHING. Kids are not allowed to bring supplies either. We buy copy paper, pencils, apps, field trips, math workbooks (required), books, kleenex, websites, etc. We have to buy tables, chairs, desks, etc too out of the $1100 but nobody does as it takes the entire budget.

For those of you that get $0, how do you get field trips, tables, workbooks, math books, apps, etc?

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 29, 2014

The district usually provides the textbooks, workbooks, and basic furniture needed in a classroom.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 29, 2014

All of those things are things that either the district pays for or the kids pay for in school fees. Consumables (workbooks) are part of school fees. Field trips are paid for by the student as they come up.

We write requisitions for textbooks and things like that.

I've bought my own bookcases this year because I needed more room for my books.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 29, 2014

I, too, have purchased my own bookcases. I was told to "dog tag" them when I brought them in so that I wouldn't be accused of stealing if I ever leave. They are in such short supply in the schools, as are decent desks. I think that if a teacher died mid-sentence someone would claim the great desk before calling 9-1-1! OK, an exaggeration, but not by much..

9. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 29, 2014

I was told new teachers get a $75 gift card to use at a local teacher/office supply store. Returning teachers get $50, I think.

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 29, 2014

We get $75 to order from a specific catalog. There is no supply closet so it has to cover everything. It really doesn't go far. I had to order a new pencil sharpener and that only left me with $30 for a year's worth of supplies.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 29, 2014

My kids pay an instructional fee that I can spend anyway I want.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

Those have been district funded at all of the districts that I've worked in. Field trips are often PTA funded. Parents have to send money in sometimes, depending on the trip.

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 11, 2014

What is the realm of things you can buy?

Are you able to use the funds as you see fit? Can you buy (e.g.) toys for the classroom? I would think that might be looked at skeptically. I've seen teachers who purchased huge, professional-level portrait pictures for the class (cost a couple hundred bucks) to decorate the room, and gave them to the kids at the end of the year.

Or are they generally meant only for things like classroom rugs or bulletin boards?

14. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 11, 2014

NYC. $0

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2014

I refuse - REFUSE - to teach anywhere were they expect me to buy tables or desks and textbooks. What type of mess is that???:eek::eek:

Also, if no one buys the students' furniture, then where do they sit?

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 11, 2014

We can spend our classroom money on anything from toys, workbooks, books, items for treasure chest, etc. We can request petty cash to buy the items then submit receipts or we can send in an order for something online.

17. sandytoes

sandytoes Rookie

Aug 11, 2014

How sad is the discrepancy/inequity from state to state or area to area? It would be a dream of mine to have nearly $500 to spend each year in my classroom! The things I could buy for the students, especially because I work in a very needy school! Our district gives us $25 and we spend it at the district warehouse which sells items for cheaper than you could buy them elsewhere, but sometimes they lack quality then. If you don't spend it by a specific date you lose it.

Happy for you, who get the supplemental help! I know how desperately some places need it!

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 11, 2014

We have up until the middle of June to spend our $600 but I like to use it up my mid May. If there is anything left over not spent we lose it.

19. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 11, 2014

In the DOE? Teacher's choice is around $70 or $80 for DOE teachers this year, I can't remember what it was just raised to. But it's definitely not $0 if you're in the DOE.