How much money did you sepnd on your...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by webmistress, Jun 29, 2008.

1. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 29, 2008

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

Web, I spent very little because I got mine at library book sales for 10 cents each. I was also suprised to learn that even though I taught middle school, the school provided us with a pretty large classroom library.
    On Ebay, watch out for the shipping charges. Sometimes the sellers jack them up and sending books via mail can get pretty expensive.
    What grade do you teach?

4. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 29, 2008

I would be aware of the shipping charges, but if you can get the books for less than $1.00 a book that is awesome as long as they are in good condition! Also Scholastic book clubs has specials for 49 books for $49.
    Good luck in building your classroom library! I have spent tons of money and also have a great library!! :)

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

Shipping on that will probably add up to a fortune. I recommend keeping your eyes open in children's consignment stores, the library's used books bin, Goodwill, etc. I've used the Scholastic $49 for 50 book deal before, too, and gotten to use my bonus points to get it (they'll often run it in October/November).
    Kim

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

Oh, and what age? My own kids' bookshelves are overflowing and we're ready to clean out. I'd gladly send you a box. The PO does a bulk rate shipping box for something like $8.
    Kim

7. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 29, 2008

Thanks everyone!
    Kim and waterfall, I don't teach yet, but I plan to teach anywhere from K-6 next year.

WOW, Kim, I would gladly pay you a fee for those books!! I'm interested in ages 5-12--K-6.

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 29, 2008

Half.com is a great site for inexpensive books. You still have to watch s&h.

I have a friend who works for a book distributing company. They offer their employees 40-50% off and encourage them to let their friends order. Maybe you could find someone like this.

Library sales are great, too. At one that I went to, they just asked you to pay what you wanted for the book!

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

I'll gladly send you a box of books. PM me your address.
    Kim

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

I do library sales, garage sales, used books stores, thrift stores and have hundreds of books. So, I am sure I am over $100. But have many. I like to buy used so I am not bothered when kids accidentally tear a page or it gets ripped or something.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 29, 2008

Another thing to look for is when school's do book sales as a fund raiser. For example, my children's school has a Spring Fair each May with a ton of booths and activities. They ask for book donations, and get a ton. Then they sell the books at a booth at the fair for 25 to 50 cents. The PTO keeps that money. In the fall I saw a sign in town for a book sale at a middle school up the street. My kids and I went and again there were tons of books for 25 or 50 cents. So keep your eyes and ears open for those type of sales. Goodwill and the library sales are great too.

Also, if the Scholastic Book Fairs do warehouse sales by you you can volunteer as a helper and be paid about $100 in books of your choice. I did that in December and had bunches of fun spending my $100 when I was done with my shift.

12. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 29, 2008

Entirely too much money goes to books in my classroom. However, I love books and want to provide my students with as many books as possible to help foster my love of reading. With that said, I've purchased many books over the last six years. It has taken me six years to get my library to what it is. My first year of teaching I had one small shelf of books. I slowly began ordering books through the scholastic book orders. I personally would wait to buy a bunch of books until you were hired. Our school does AR and I try to purchase many of the books that we have tests for.

I know that many people at my school like to go to garage sales and pick up books too. My neighbor had a garage sale and let me have an entire box of books for free. Some people will give stuff away or even sell it to you cheap if they know you are a teacher.

13. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jun 30, 2008

I've gotten almost all of my classroom books with bonus points from scholastic book orders. I don't have thousands of books or anything, but I started with probably around 100 books (already in the room when I came in) and now have around 300 after doing book orders this year.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 30, 2008

We get $500.00 every year to buy supplies, I've spent every penny on my library the last 6 years & will continue to do so. I buy beautiful, hard to find books w/the school's money and then spend more on bargains.

15. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 30, 2008

Very interesting everybody. Thanks for giving me more insight.
    Wow, Hoot, I can't imagine the impressive books that you must have in your library!

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

Probably over $1,000. But I figure when we have a child, they will go to him/her. That, and I'm seriously OCD.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

I spend a LOT on books... I would rather buy books than borders or bulletin board sets...

18. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 1, 2008

I have spent about $300 on my library. I buy from the Book Orders and use my Bonus Points all the time. However, I've found Goodwill to be my best place for books. :) Sometimes there is TONS of books, and sometimes....very few, but most of my library has come from there. I should hit up some garage sales this summer, but holding off until I get a new bookshelf built.

Also, a person in the community donated a bunch of books to my school at the beginning of the year. I mentioned to my AP that I needed books, and she gave them all to me! So it never hurts to mention your need!

Nicer books that I use for lessons, I typically get on amazon.com.

19. greatestteacher

greatestteacher Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

I have about three hundred intermediate, middle-school books I'm trying to find a new home for now. Live near Houston? :)

20. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

I got a lot of my books at yardsales, through Scholatic with my bonus points, and student donations. You'd be surprised at how many books you can get from your students if you just mention that you're looking to expand your classroom library.

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2008

I likely wouldn't purchase until you know what you are teaching... if you wound up in kindergarten and had a barrage of chapter books, you wouldn't be able to use them in your classroom... or if you purchased a lot of beginning readers and wound up in fifth grade, things wouldn't be too great, either.

I'd check Goodwill at this time, though, and get some "middle ground" books. The Scholastic book fairs are also great fun, though I've actually gotten more through thrift shopping.

...And somehow I got to the tremendous (arg) number I am at in my classroom library. :rolleyes: ...Because I am quite the book addict.

Good luck!! :woot:

22. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

I don't know how much I spent on my library. When I moved to 6th I gave my 2-3rd grade books to my nieces and started over with the chapter books that I had. I go to Goodwill and Salvation Army and get books for a quarter each. I bring some friends and we look for any books that look appropriate. Once my DH and his brother had a competition to see who could find the most books! I look at them all before I buy to make sure they are appropriate. A lot of my necessary books (Holes, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, etc.) came from there.