How much is your classroom budget?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by JessCentral28, Aug 10, 2006.

1. JessCentral28

JessCentral28 Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Hi there!
    Just thought I'd see if what I have is typical, high or low. My classroom budget is $450. This is just for supplies etc. (Not furniture, equipment, etc.)
    How much do you have to spend? What does that money generally go toward in your classroom?
    Thought it would be interesting to compare!
    Jessica

3. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 10, 2006

We don't get a budget. We have to shell out all of the money for anything other than paper and pencils. I even had to buy white board markers!!

4. JessCentral28

JessCentral28 Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Wow!!!!

5. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Aug 10, 2006

We get $75.00 to spend on classroom supplies. You can either order from the classroom supply catalog or turn in your own receipts.

We get a chance to apply for mini grant from our PTO, Education Foundation, or Womens Club.(One year the PTO gave me money to buy dry erase boards and money for transportation for field trips)
    75 doesn't go very far, I have spent much more that than each year!

6. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Aug 10, 2006

We typically get $100 for things in our room. Our principal just approves your receipts or your order. We do get all of our "office" supplies for free from the office so that helps out. I typically spend my room money on building my class library.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

We don't get a budget either. The school provides basics (staples, tape, paper clips, etc) but anything else that we want is on us.

8. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 10, 2006

I get $350 but I know I'll also be spending a lot of my own money. But I don't know if the school provides anything or not (basic supplies and all that)

9. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Aug 10, 2006

We get $500 for classroom supplies! Wow, I feel lucky now! :)

10. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

as a first year I got 300 for my room. Every year from here on out though I only get 100. Our school does provide TONS though for us. So supply stuff I don't need to buy myself.

11. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

We get $200, but have to do it by purchase order. We don't get to do this until close to the end of November though. We can get anything except incentives (stickers, pencils, etc.) with our money.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2006

I get $22.25 per student. I teach PreK, and I have to buy my own everything - paper, paint, toys, ziplock baggies, tissues, paper towels, everything. Kindergarten is the same. In grades 1-5, the teachers have to make a "wish list" of things they'd like to have, and the school purchases for them. All of their paper, gule, etc. is stored in the school's storeroom, and it available for all to use. So, if you request sentence strips, it's not like YOU get the sentence strips.
    Kim

13. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 10, 2006

We have no classroom budget either. We did up until about 2 years ago when federal funding was cut- we got $100 in fall and spring. We usually will get supplies like paper and glue, but sometimes have been going with out that too. I buy ALOT out of my own pocket, as do the other teachers I work with.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

Our parents don't even pay a supply fee for their children. For the past 5 or 6 years, they didn't have to buy supplies either, the school provided them. They are finally wising up and asking the parents to buy supplies again (we are NOT a rich school district and we were hurting for money). I don't know if they'll reinstate the supply fee or not.

15. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 10, 2006

My classroom budget was $150 this year. But I work with another teacher (inclusion class) and she also gets $150. So we put our money together to get what we need.

I alos teach special education and usually put a "Wish List" in. However, I do not always get what I put on my list.

16. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2006

100 instructional, 50 bep.

My students are also asked to pay fees. I think it is around 9.00 or something close to that.

17. jnation

jnation Companion

Aug 10, 2006

We get 300 dollars, most of which goes to prizes for my classroom store. Last year I was lucky and the fire department raised an additional 300 dollars for each BD/ED class. Most supplies such as tape, paper, markers, crayons, ink, etc. are provided by the school, within reason. Students are required to bring their own supplies as well.

18. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

We get a $200 purchase order and then we are reimbursed $100 in the fall from the PTO. My first year I managed to get a $500 purchase order since I didn't have anything. I still spend a lot of my own money, though!

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

I get $350 to spend on my room...it has to come through School Specialty and the order has to be okayed by the school before it goes through. I spend the money on paper (esp construction paper), pencils, erasers, dry erase markers, crayons, resources for the room, posters, and just about anything I need. We don't get anything in terms of office supplies from the school except copy paper.

I ask my students to bring some supplies in on the first day of school, but I usually wind up supplementing a lot with my own money because a lot of students in my school don't have a lot of money. I bought 10 cent notebooks at Walmart, Target and Shoprite, as well as a classroom set of crayons, markers, pencils, etc. with my own money. But whatever I buy with my own money I can take if I ever leave my school. The rest has to stay there.

20. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

In the spring, we get $400 for the next school year. We order from a catalog that gives us 50% off. In the fall, we get $250 in cash to spend however we please. PTA also gives teachers $100. So, we get $750, just spread out. Don't ask how I still spent money out of my own pocket.:eek:

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

We also order in the spring for the following year. If we REALLY need something in the fall, my vp and principal usually try to find the money in an account somewhere or we can ask the PTA. Otherwise it comes out of our pockets.

22. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 11, 2006

We get $300 but are told to only spend $150 until we see if the new budget is going to pass! If it does, then we are usually allowed to order something else. This does not include furniture - that comes out of a separate school budget. We have 5 elem. schools in our District and each school, for some strange reason, gets a different amount to spend.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2006

We got about $100 and then I was reimbursed $35 for some prof dev books. We were told no math manipulatives. Sheesh. I'm saving my receipts but I really hope I don't go over the $250 allowed in the tax return.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2006

We don't have a budget, exactly.

The school provices all the basic office supplies. We just have to go get what we need. For everything else we just turn in a requisition form. I've never been turned down for anything I've requested. I buy lots of things myself, too . . . usually simple stuff that I don't want to wait to be ordered or inexpensive things. I always turn in a "wish list" at the end of the year and it's waiting for me the next year. Some years I don't spend anything and other years I do.

25. Star_Shine

Star_Shine Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

I have a dumb question...do elementary teachers get more of a budget than secondary? What would a secondary teacher spend his/her money on?

26. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 11, 2006

I'm expecting $125 from word of mouth but dont really know. It would be less but our school has most of the underpriveledged students in the district.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2006

We don't get a budget. Office supplies and background wall paper are always available. And each department has a budget. When I was math chairman, I spent our on things like graph paper, colored chalk (really useful in teaching overlapping triangles!), geometry templates, things like that. I also got every sample textbook I could lay my hands on (though they're frequently free) so that my teachers would have the reference materials they needed.

I'm returning to teaching after 6 years as a SAHM, and I gave away all my materials when I quit. So far, I've spent $70 at the local teacher supply store: a combo grade/plan book (I hate the individual ones we're given!), posters, border, letters, and so on. And I've spent some at Staples for folders, red pens,etc (Not to mention a gorgeous briefcase-- but that's personal and I don't think any district would reimburse there.)

But I KNOW that elementary teachers need a lot more in the way of materials. So I would hope they would get a budget of some sort.

28. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 11, 2006

We get $30 a semester, so $60 a year. So far, I've spent over $200 of my own money.

29. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Aug 11, 2006

We ask our department team leader or head to buy it for us. If they have money they usually get it for us. If they do not then we do not get it.

I would rather have the money since I hate to ask other people for things.

30. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 12, 2006

We get $200 per classroom at the beginning of the year (actually, at end of previous year to order before summer if possible). After jog-a-thon in September, we get an allotment from the "profits"--mine last year was about $185. At Christmas we got $50 from PTA; although that was considered a "personal" gift, most of us spent it on the classroom. Also, we entered and won a Science Fair project, and earned $50 from the sponsor. I know I am quite fortunate!

31. benemma

benemma Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I work at a private kindergarten and the director is awesome about supplies. If it is reasonable, for curriculum and/or for the kids use, she will get it. Office supplies are always available. I guess this is part of the benefit of private kindergarten. I feel lucky!

32. Teri22G

Teri22G Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I am curious. What school in Michigan do you teach at?

33. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

We got $250 this year. After reading this I am starting to feel like this is alot although I know I've already spent more than this. My school usually gives us money at the end of the year to buy supplies like paper, crayons, markers, etc. I'm kinda out of luck this year though because this is my first year teaching that the teacher before me not only did not order anything but also took what little was left in the room. I was left in the room with one stack of construction paper and some math manipulatives. That's it!! Everything else has been cleaned out. So I'm having to buy everything now.

34. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

We get 100 bucks a year from "The Board." We sometimes get a Pre-K/ECSE budget. I rely on donorschoose! (And my own pocket).

35. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2006

$250.00.

We get so much from our school to help our students out, though. :)

36. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 13, 2006

We get $200 from the school and $100 from PTA. Plus all the basic office supplies (stapler, tape, glue, expo markers, manila folders, hole punch, pens, pencils, markers, vis a vis markers, etc) are provided. The kids bring their own supplies, plus paper towels, kleenex, hand sanitizer, plastic baggies, disinfecting wipes, index cards, etc.

I guess I have it pretty good...makes me wonder why I've spent almost $300 on supplies...but I am a new teacher. I could get reimburesed for things like the pocket charts I bought, but I want to be able to take those with me if I ever leave, so I guess I'll just pay for them myself.

37. anadinem

anadinem Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

we get $0 as a first year I expected to have some sort of budget since I am coming with nothing but all i have been told when I asked is that if I spend money out of pocket PTA will usually reimburse up to $75 - which is something I guess but nothing compared to how much of my own money I have already spent

thats what we get for choosing to love this profession i suppose lol

38. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

Same here.

39. dixiedeb

dixiedeb Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Wow! I really am feeling fortunate. I usually get around $600 per year. This year I received $612 plus the Governor of Ga. provided every teacher in the state with a $100 gift card to purchase supplies before the start of school.

40. jcatblum

jcatblum Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

We get $100 at inservice. Also when school starts we get $10 per child as a craft fee. Most of our office supplies are provided, we supply our own ink pens. Also we have a whole room of stuff from old classrooms. The room has bulletin boards, toys, manipulatives, furniture, and lots of other stuff.

We also have a wishing well - for the really big stuff!!!

41. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

we get 50 bucks for the whole year. I work for one of the most well to do counties in GA and I still only get 50 bucks and have no textbooks to teach with. The govenor gave us $100 gift cards this year to spend on supplies and that was a godsend.

Consider yourselves blessed.