How much is too much homework?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 30, 2008

I give one reading and one math assignment Monday-Thursday nights. Along with reading log/finishing work, they may spend 45 minutes-1 hour on homework, sometimes less. Sometimes I give projects, but lower the homework a little bit during that time.

Yet there's teachers who do give on the weekends and give up to maybe three hours of homework a night (so five nights a week, totaling about 15 hours). Is that too much, in your opinion? To me, I would be disappointed if my child did scouting, church, or sports. The parents of those students seem a bit disappointed because homework "should just be a review".

Opinions, please! How much do you give, and in what?

3. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

I give my kids a math worksheet and tell them to read every night... This week we worked on prepositions, so they got homework for that on two nights (worksheets). On Thursday I tell them to take their reading books home and read the story for the test on Friday, but I tell them that counts for their nightly reading. They also have to take any classwork home that they don't finish.

No, I don't think elementary kids need three hours of homework.. My daughter gets more homework in third grade than I give to my fourth graders.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

I don't actually assign homework besides reading for 30 minutes. However, if they don't finish an assignment in class, it is homework. I usually assign about 30 problems in math (many finish and those that don't bring home 5 or so problems), a reading assignment that is always done in class and either a science or social studies assignment- again, usually completed in class.

Three hours is WAAAAAYYYYYYY too much, even for high school!

5. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

I very rarely give homework in computers. I try to give enough time for most, if not all, to finish in class. Our school guideline is 10 minutes per grade level or thereabouts. So a fifth grader should have no more than about 50 minutes of homework a night on average.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 30, 2008

My principal always says 15 min./grade but not including reading their home reading.

7. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 30, 2008

I agree with what everyone else has basically said. Homework should be kept to a minimum; it should be practice for what they have already learned.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 30, 2008

In my opinion, an hour is enough for 4th. For 5th, my kiddos have 30 min reading (for me), and either 30 min Math or Science (from my teammates.)

9. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I agree with the 10 minutes per night, so about 40 minutes per night. I too, if they have a project, lighten the regular load. We have standard assignments most nights.
    Monday--spelling (due Tuesday)
    Tuesday--spelling (due Friday)
    Tuesday--math computation sheet (10 problems)
    Wed and/or Thursday--revisit story or novel chapters

Regulars--read, study spelling, study math facts

I also assign other work as needed.

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

Our principal told us that students should have no more than 10 minutes of homework a night according to their grade level. Like fifth graders shouldn't have more than 50 minutes.

I just want my students to read every night, practice spelling words, and math facts. But the parents want more!

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 30, 2008

I agree that it should take no longer than an hour to complete homework for kids in 4th grade. If a teacher is giving more than an hour of homework, then they need to rethink their purpose for the homework. It should simply be time to practice skills learned in school.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 30, 2008

When I had fourth graders they had math fact practice and spelling for homework only. I expect it took maybe 15 minutes max. They had a few projects during the year, and during that time did not have either math or spelling. My higher kids did vocab instead of spelling and it probably took about 10 minutes longer, as it involved looking words up in a dictionary.

I made it clear that reading was expected, but did not set a minimum or make them log it. I had a good group of readers.

13. TAZmo

TAZmo Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I don't give homework other than reading 20 minutes each night. They also have to study math facts for 10 minutes each night. If they do not finish an assignment in class then they must take it home to finish. However, I usually give them plenty of time to finish it in class.

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

Our school is very similar for homework - they have 30 minutes for reading each night, plus spelling and math review. It shouldn't take the students (I have 5th grade) more than 45-50 minutes a night and that is with the required reading.

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 31, 2008

School mandated. 20 minutes reading from library books, study math facts and spelling words. NO MORE. Wednesday is homework free, in our area that is church night. Assignments are not to be given longer than can be completed in the classroom.

16. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

I give my second graders about 20 minutes of work a night. There is never homework on the weekends.

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 31, 2008

Hescollin, definitely on church nights I lower the homework even more, closer to thirty minutes. I also have a pastor's son and assistant pastor's daughter in my class, meaning they are even more involved on the Wednesday evenings.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! It looks like things are right on track. I don't assign on the weekends, either- I need for them to relax because technically nights are a re-charge for the next morning.

18. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

You are on the right track!!