How much is "too much" for job fairs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by waterfall, Mar 4, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2012

I am working on putting together some interview packets for a job fair I'll be attending in a few weeks. I'm going to get a folder for each of my "top choice" districts and I know I want to include a resume, cover letter, and my letters of recommendation. I'll bring extra generic resumes and CL's for other districts I might run into.

I am also thinking of including some other things since I'm going to have an entire folder anyway, but I don't want to give them so much information that they just get irritated and don't read any of it. Here are some other things I thought of including:
    - Copy of teaching license
    -Transcripts
    -Teaching philosophy
    -Some sort of "inside my classroom" thing- like a page with some pictures and a couple examples of what my typical class looks like
    -List of references with contact information

What out of the above is unnecessary? Anything not listed that I should think about bringing?

Also, if I do make some sort of thing with pictures, is it okay to use pictures of my students? Just double checking- I know if I were to bring any of their paperwork I'd have to black out names and identifying information.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2012

You're trying to make yourself stand out from the hundreds of others who are at the fair... put your packets in nice folders, dress professionally, smile, shake hands...give 'em all you've got!:2cents:

4. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 4, 2012

I agree. The recruiters will be meeting with hundreds of people. Having your folder in hand will help them to remember you.

I'm not sure I would include pictures of the students though. Some districts are restrictive about the use of student photos. Do you have any student samples that you can copy to include instead? Or photos of student work?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2012

Oh, if there ever was a time when "more is better", it's looking for a teaching job in this economy!!!

But I would be VERY hesitant to use student pictures. Even if you had parental permission-- the person reading your brochure might not realize it, and might wonder if you would be cavalier about the safety of your students.

I would go the blurred faces/ back of the head route.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2012

You could probably put the inside my classroom, teaching philosophy, and list of references into a nice brochure that is only one page.

If you made a portfolio, I would bring this with. Sometimes districts will pull a candidate into an impromptu interview.

I would stay away from pictures with students' faces, just in case.

7. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Mar 4, 2012

When I was job searching, I made a packet of alot of the things you've listed and took it to Office Max and got about 10 spiral bound copies made. I also included a cute (yet professional) cover page and table of contents. I forget how much it ended up being, but it was much less than I thought it would be. Maybe $14 for the 10 books?

It was well worth it though. Everyone was impressed that it looked so professional and that they could take it with them after the interview. No one else (interviewees) that I talked to did that, so I definitely stood out.

And I guess it paid off, too. One of the interviews I went on that day ended up being the district that I got hired at later in the summer. They said they remembered me from the job fair (which occured around 5 months before the interview where I got hired!)

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2012

Wow, that's impressive! I will look into Office Max. That's actually one of the only "big box" stores we actually have around here. I guess I was just worried that it would be too overwhelming or something. You hear so much about only having a one page resume because people aren't even going to bother reading the 2nd page or will be annoyed and toss your resume all together- if they can't be bothered to read a longer resume to get a complete picture of someone, why would they look through an entire packet?

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2012

I think the difference is that there are thousands of resumes in a pile.

But you're the only one they're interviewing at that moment; they can look over your portfolio as you speak.

10. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Mar 5, 2012

I think your materials sound fine. Most of what you included is what I included when I mailed or dropped off packets.

I've found job fairs to be very hectic. Often I was in line to just shake hands with someone at the district and with jobs being so limited in my certification, most of the "top" districts weren't granting interviews for a sit-down, pull out the resume sort of thing. I just dropped off my packet and hoped that it'd be read around the fireplace some cozy evening (ok, not really).

I wish I would have brought brochures to those job fairs. That's the perfect setting for them. Still take your packet and drop it off but highlight the "can't miss" info with a brochure. Then you can hand that to the person you're shaking hands with and if they look interested, you can guide them through it.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 18, 2012

I'm going to a job fair next Saturday, but I can't find any information about which schools will be there. All I know is that it is a charter school job fair. How can I find out about the specific schools? Or should I just assume they will all be there, and create a cover letter for each one? I'm lost.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2012

That is weird that they don't have a list. Try googling the fair's name and see if you can come up with any other site about it. Also, I've noticed that some districts around my area will have a "recruiting schedule" under "human resources" on their websites where it lists which job fairs they'll be attending.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2012

Is there a coordinator for the job fair that you can email or call to find out who will be there?

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 18, 2012

There is actually no specific website for this, it is listed on several pages, one of them is Craigslist. It did say to preregister, so i just did that. Maybe they'll send some more information?

I had a dream last night, that I went to a job fair, everyone was so nice and welcoming, but I realized that I didn't bring any resumes, and didn't even have my flash drive to print them out. But on the positive side, I was the best dressed, a lot of people wore sweat pants, shorts and tennis shoes. :) I think I'm getting stressed out already. I'm not good at interviews, because I have only been on 1 since I finished school. :(

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2012

Yes, in this competitive time we're in, those types of things sounds great. Hopefuly the "inside my classroom" thing that you want to include doesn't hurt your chances. All it takes is for someone to dislike it & then your chances decrease, but hopefully it should help because should shows them that you took the initiative to go above & beyond.

16. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Mar 20, 2012

Save the portfolio for the interview. Everything you listed is often asked for on job applications anyway, and most of those are online anymore. You might just as well stay home because these same employers are going to require online apps anyway and perhaps ask for pdfs of licenses, etc.

The "KISS" philosophy should be at work here at job fairs. You should have NOTHING more than a simple resume there for employers. You can take a portfolio with you in case you are interviewed on site, but don't leave them there for the school districts. It's just a waste of time for very little payoff.