How Much homework ?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 13, 2003

I teach first grade (I am the only one at my grade level) and was wondering exaclty how much homework you tend to give a night ?

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 14, 2003

homework

I personally dont use it but love the calendar for the month which has homework in each square and the child does the activity for what day it is.

I do give a math chapter on Monday and Due the following Mon. It is work book skills we cover in class. I also require vocabulary skills/spelling which is abc 3times for monday, sentences tuesday, grammar symbols wednesday, study thursday. Each day the homework is due or completed by Friday. I still only have ten words for my reading groups. By now other teachers have added more and quite frankly the story of the week doesnt have that many new words!

As a parent i will tell you first grade homework my son receives is way too easy for him and yet its just enough for him to learn to be disciplined to do it. His teacher has Wednesdy nights is Write night. There is a homework calendar sent home that lists all the Write night topics. It has taken him to the half of a school year to be able to sit get the homework done and then go and play.

One last thing- be certain you have a purpose or goal for giving the homework. Less is better. You will have a parent to complain that it is too much and yet, you will have parents complain its too little.
    good luck
    ruth

4. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Feb 14, 2003

I go by the guideline 10-15 minutes per grade in school. I am teaching second grade this year and give about 20 minutes of homework a night (in math, language arts, research, or reading depending on what day it is). I also expect my children to read for 15 minutes a night. Last year in first grade I gave the same amount and had a weekly assignment sheet that was due on Fridays.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2003

My district has a homework policy- 2nd grade is 30 minutes including reading homework. I make a homework helper sheet for the week listing each night's hw. Usually reading, spelling, math. That pretty much takes up 30 minutes. Some kids of course will finish quickly and some will drag it out past the 30 minutes. I tell parents at back to school night in the fall to let me know if their child seems to be struggling with finishing in 30 minutes. They always have the option of reading for additional time or practicing math facts if they finish early or want to do extra.

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Feb 15, 2003

I teach first grade and on the average the homework I assign takes the children 20-30 minutes each night. It always consist of a reading assignment. Spelling and math are also homework assignments 2-3 times each week. Don't let a parent who tells you that there is too much homework be intimidating. You do what you think is best for your students. It is your responsibility to have your students meet the required benchmarks. I also try to make the homework as simple in regards to the directions as possible. This tends to help keep parent complaints to a minium.

Good Luck!

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 15, 2003

I'm student teaching 2nd, and the kids read each night, and study spelling words each week. There's rarely any other homework.