How much homework is appropriate for K?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, Sep 15, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Sep 15, 2012

I'm interested in your opinions...How much homework is appropriate for kindergarten? 1 math pg, 1 handwriting pg? 1 of each? more? less?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I personally think none! They are five years old! I never had homework until older elementary but I know things have changed now. I used to work at an afterschool center and I was shocked at how much the poor K students were being told to do for homework. When do they get time to be kids? I teach 3rd and I don't give anymore than one reading, one math, and one spelling page per night. Often it's just two of those three. If anything, in K I'd send home a letter/sound or decodable book for them to practice with mom or dad.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 15, 2012

I agree with none. We ask parents to spend 15-20 minutes a night reviewing letters/sounds (we send home flashcards), reading/writing sight words (we send the flashcards home), and reading or listening to the kids read. We also have a weekly newsletter that tells them what math, social studies, and science concepts we are learning.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 15, 2012

None. It's not DAP and worse, has been shown to be detrimental.

6. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 15, 2012

I agree with the others. Too young for homework. They're babies and a whole school day is already plenty. If their parents can read with them, that's always a good thing.

7. cml88

cml88 Companion

Sep 15, 2012

Hmmm...well unfortunately, I work for a district where the parents want homework. I got multiple e-mails during the first week of school asking me why I hadn't assigned hw....So i'll definitely have to be assigning some

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 15, 2012

I still respond with what I said above and we give pages of activities to do at home, I think one of them is called 25 things to do with magnetic letters, and then links to websites where they can print pages at home. I emphasize that the best thing they can do is to talk to them and read often and to talk and share experiences with them, from going to the grocery store an reading labels and boticing numbers to visiting parks and museums One of the websites I share is http://www.first-school.ws/theme/alphabet.htm

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 15, 2012

We are required to send homework and I do send 2 worksheets based on what we are learning-one reading, one math. My parents also demand it. We actually had copier problems in the beginning of the year this year so I didn't send it for the 1st week and it was the most common question-you're not going to send homework?

Our kids are not considered babies anymore with all they are required to learn in a year. I don't think it hurts them to practice those skills at home.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 15, 2012

I would have responded with "No, but here are some fun websites your child can visit to practice the skills we are working on in class."

Even if your kids aren't considered babies anymore, they ARE. I don't give my first graders any homework during the year. I'd rather they go home, play, eat supper, and spend some time with family before going to bed at a reasonable hour. In a few months I'll start a home reading program, but it is totally optional for families to participate.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

Daily or weekly?

I sent home 10 math problems the other night and my P dealt with 4 parent complaints! :eek:

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 15, 2012

Daily Monday-Thursday

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

I have yet to send home any homework. I will send home flash cards for their letters/sounds and sight words which parents can practice at home. I also have encouraged the parents to read to their child and plan to send home decodable books that parents can read with their child.

And I will probably send home a math link or two. These are simple activities that parents can do with their child to reinforce the skills we are learning. But I will not require anything to show that the student and parent completed the work.

Provide the parents with strategies to help their child and ways to work with their child on skills taught in school. Don't just send home worksheets to be completed.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

None.

Parents are free teach their children at home whether through practice, family field trips, etc., and I think they should, but I would not assign homework.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

Ok, so send home a reading calendar. Parent required to read to the child 15-20 minutes a night for homework. Problem solved in a DAP way!

Why do parents get so much say in it anyhow? :confused: YOU are the professional licensed in early childhood. Stand up for those kids!

16. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Sep 15, 2012

Our K homework is very basic. They have 3 tasks to complete. The front is a review of basic skills (practice writing a few letters, or numbers, circling beginning sounds of words, counting objects around the house) and then the back is a skills review page (it varies, sometimes math, handwriting, language arts). It goes home on Friday, and is due back on Tuesday.

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

This is a teachable moment...to educate the parents on what is DAP for this age. Let them know WHY you don't send homework or WHY reading to their child is the best thing they can do at this age. Do the research, ready to present and have a parent's night that deals with this issue!

18. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 15, 2012

None! I've never sent homework home in K...I barely sent homework home in 1st grade either. I typically send a newsletter that includes our topics for the week. The internet has plenty of resources if the parents think that their child needs more work. However, my early childhood program really stressed appropriate practice and IMO, it's just not appropriate! Not to mention the fact that you can never tell if the parents did it for them, just gave them the answer, etc.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

This is what I was going to suggest as well.

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 15, 2012

But in my experience they often don't actually read with them, even if you send books. We also run into the fact that many of our parents speak/read a different language at home. It's much easier for them to sit down and help them with a math worksheet. Also, I think our parents like knowing what activities we are working on so they can help them at home. They'll say, oh, I saw you were working on adding so we did some extra problems this weekend.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

If they don't read to their little one fulfilling the requirement,...how can a worksheet replace the assignment they were asked to do? Language shouldn't be a factor...even if the parent can't read, ENGAGE with the child for 30 minutes a night, talk to them about the day, spend time with the child and turn off the tv.

22. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 15, 2012

23. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 15, 2012

Well they shouldn't ask for homework if they are only going to do the assignments they like.

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2012

Parents frequently ask me what they can do to help their child at home. I tell them to read to them every single day/night. They don't need worksheets and "assignments." They need someone to read with them often.
    One time a mother asked me to send homework home with her child. I couldn't help but laugh.Read and read and read and when you're done, read some more.

25. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Sep 16, 2012

NONE!!! Read with your child nightly is plenty enough!

26. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 24, 2012

I agree completely with most posters. No homework is the way to go. The only thing I ask is that parents read with their children for 20 minutes. That is the best thing for them at this age.

27. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Sep 24, 2012

My daughter just started Kindergarten this year. Every Monday her teacher sends some a packet with a newsletter that states what they are learning in school and about 10 worksheets that are due the following Monday. I don't agree with giving homework at this age, but my daughter loves it.

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2012

I think when I student taught in K... we asked them to read with an older person in the house. We would also send home a fun family homework. We sent home this little paper person to "decorate for Halloween." We used it has a sharing project and then used it to decorate our hallways. We had some seasonal things like that.

29. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 24, 2012

I send home a paper that has activities listed for Monday through Thursday. They are things like write your name twice, count to 20, rainbow write your name, read your review sight word list, find objects that are the shapes listed in your house...those types of items. Simple, five minute items plus a small book to read three times each week.