How much homework do you give?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 24, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 24, 2011

My homework schedule:
    Monday: Read 20 minutes, practice spelling words
    Tuesday: Read 20 minutes, practice math facts (I send home various games and activities)
    Wednesday: Read 20 minutes, practice spelling words
    Thursday: Read 20 minutes, 2-sided math worksheet (due Monday)
    Friday: Read 20 minutes

I feel like I don't give a lot of homework compared to other teachers, but I don't want my class to spend more than 40 minutes per night on it. My other team members have their class read every night, and do a 2-sided math worksheet, due the next day. They also send home writing projects. A parent told me that their child said I was the best teacher ever because I don't give a lot of homework. :lol: I guess his first grade teacher send home reading homework, math homework, a comprehension worksheet, and a vocabulary worksheet every night. She said they would spend hours on homework, and he would often end up in tears.

Anyway, how much homework do you send home each night?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2011

Every night the children are required to read 20 mins. They must also write a summary sentence in their reading log.

Starting in October, each week they will also have a math assignment of some sort and handwriting (for now).

Second semester we require a little more. We are still planning what homework will look like.

4. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 24, 2011

My 5th graders have spelling homework each night. They may do it over the weekend if that works better for them.

Any other homework has been started in class and needs to be finished at home.

I do not ask them to read at home. The ones that will, will. And the ones who won't, will lie.

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 24, 2011

:agreed:

I have a "reading tree" (students can add a leaf 'review' of their book and add to our tree) to encourage students to read, but I don't require reading each night for that exact reason.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2011

The only "homework" is to work toward their AR requirements, but I don't mandate a certain amount of minutes, parents' signatures on logs, or anything of that nature. In order to pass their AR assignment they'll have to read at home, but it's up to them as to how they tackle this (although I do teach them time managment techniques and such).

7. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

Students have math, spelling, and reading every night(Except weekends). We have Saxon math so there is a guided class practice sheet(problems very similar to problems done in class) and a fact sheet of 20 facts. Spelling consists of a short activity and they are expected to practice sorting their spelling words(doesn't require any writing). Reading is a passage to practice their fluency for 1 minute. I assign English homework one time a week which I try to schedule on Tuesday nights. Students have church on Wednesdays(most do at least) and Thursday night is study for the tests the next day.

The fluency and fact sheet should take about 5 minutest to complete. I would say the other work should only take 10-15 minutes to complete. I ask my parents to let me know if it takes their child longer than 20 to 30 minutes to finish their work because it shouldn't.

BTW, I teach 2nd grade.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2011

Read 15 minutes every night, log on reading record.
    Math page
    A spelling sort plus students choose a spelling HW from a choice board

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2011

2nd grade:
    half page of either grammar or math - some weeks I do a half page of both, some weeks I alternate
    practice spelling words
    practice math facts
    read for 15 minutes

So only about 30 minutes.

The last few years I gave out the same hw as my teammates, but it was taking my kids 1-3 hours. I'm not ok with that. So I'm trying something new.

I've found that my kids are putting a lot more effort into hw this year - everyone is doing it, and it is being done well. Last few years I felt like it was always a fight.

10. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

I don't want to kill my kids with homework, so we have a guideline of 10 - 15 minutes more per grade level.

1st - 10- 15 min.
    2nd - 20 - 30 min.

You get the picture. I send home 1 phonics sheet (the back of the page we do together) and they have to write/say their spelling words every night. I'm sure it takes some less than 10 minutes and some more than 15 minutes, but that is our general guideline.

Later on, they'll get more homework, but for now that is all they get. I do not require at home reading because I have a lot of kids that 1) probably don't own books at home, 2) have parents that won't help, or 3) have parents that work nights and cannot help them.

I don't want them to get frustrated and hate reading because of being required to struggle through it at home alone.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 24, 2011

At our school the guidline is similar. 10 min. added at each grade level: first, 10 min., second, 20 min., third, 30 min.

My first graders take home leveled books to read each night. They get to choose how many they take home. They also work on sight words each night, and a memory verse (which we review in class every day). If we are participating in chapel, they have to practice their readings each night of that week - this is counted as reading and goes on their reading logs.

I give the same to second graders, and in October they will begin to have 5-10 math problems to practice at home, or a math activity. Sometimes I give both grades a math or LA project which involves the parents, and I try to give a week, including a weekend, for that.

I don't think kids should spend a lot of home time doing school work. A little practice goes a long way. 5-10 math problems will give practice, and will tell me if they are "getting" it. Why load them up w/20-25 problems if 10 does just as well. After school they have activities, sports, chores, family time, bath, dinner.