How much graded work do you keep?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by maroki, May 14, 2009.

1. maroki

maroki Comrade

May 14, 2009

After students turn work in and you grade it, how much of the work do you keep? Do you return it all after you've entered it into your gradebook? Do you keep some for work samples, conferences, etc. and send the rest home? Do you keep it all? Do you send it all home? Do you keep copies and send originals home or vice versa?

I'm curious what other teachers do; I want to see how it compares to the amount of work I keep and send home.

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 14, 2009

I send home tests for a signature, then they get returned and I keep them in the students' portfolios. I also keep finished writing pieces and a piece from each reading unit. Homework and classwork I'll send home at the end of the week - it's just too much paperwork otherwise. The only exception is for students who I feel might need a special education referral so I have extra documentation on those students.

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 14, 2009

My students have a binder for each subject and graded papers are placed in those binders. 2 binders go home each Friday and parents sign showing that they have looked at the graded papers.

I had a parent complain one year that I never sent home any papers. All I had to do was show him his wife's signature - apparently they didn't talk about what she had seen.

5. kacieann

kacieann Companion

May 14, 2009

We have to keep everything until the end of the first six weeks of the next school year! I thought this was standard be I can see that it must not be.

6. txteacher1980

txteacher1980 Rookie

May 14, 2009

I send home all daily work and tests that have been graded. I keep writing samples.

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 15, 2009

I think if it's something in class or for homework, it's fine to send home right away. The kids probably had assistance on it in some way anyways (parent or sibling for homework, whole-class practice) so it doesn't really assess abilities. The independent in-class work that is more important, or larger assignments that can really sway a grade, should probably get signed and then returned.

I like the idea of keeping the work in binders! How do you manage those, goldenpoppy?

8. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 15, 2009

I keep a few things for their portfolios - Math, science, writing, reading, etc.

After putting in gradebooks we are to send home with a parent signature sheet but to me that was hard to keep up with, especially with some that took the 2 weeks to return it and then I would have to turn around and give it back for a new signature or make up a new one because they "lost" it.

9. deazy86

deazy86 Rookie

May 26, 2009

I used to send daily work & home work to home every Friday but asked to return test paper after parents signature. This had happened with me as well, that the papers were "Lost". But it happens once in a while we should consider it.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 26, 2009

At the beginning of the year we set up a 1" binder for each subject and they are kept in the students' desks. When papers are passed back they go directly into the binder, filed in the back so the earlier work is in the front. Binders go home at least once a week for an assignment (and it may only be show your family your _____ binder) which is listed on their homework assignment sheet.

There is always one student who has a terrible time both getting papers into the binder and keeping them there, but it's an opportunity to learn organization. I have done binder checks for tickets (my classroom cash) and if you have the paper that I'm looking for, you get rewarded.

11. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

May 26, 2009

I keep their tests after we take them.

At the end of a 9 week grading period, I ask the students to pick three graded assignments out of their folder that they think shows their best work and I file those away also.

Usually by just doing those two things, I have plenty of graded work on file. I like keeping tests more than homework, because I think tests show their ability-levels much more.

12. Irma

Irma Companion

May 27, 2009

We keep assessments until after final report cards go home and then we shred. Writing samples are copied and put in cumulative and grade level files. All other work is sent home weekly in folders after it is entered in the gradebook. I keep monthly writing prompts because I make a book for end of the year gift.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 27, 2009

I don't keep anything except for a few things on the bulleting board so the room doesn't look totally bare in the summer (tours for prospective students are given all summer).