How much free time/play time?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, Sep 6, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Sep 6, 2012

For the last two years I have taught pre-K. This is my fist year teaching kindergarten. How much free time/ or free play do you allow your kindergarteners? And do you do it in one chunk or in little sessions throughout the day?

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 6, 2012

They have about 20 min. for recess. I usually give them the last 20-30 min. of the day as free time. This allows me time to complete their daily behavior report. Last year I did it first thing in the morning & my TA did their daily behavior report at the end of the day. I no longer have a full time TA.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 6, 2012

We have block schedules. There is NO time for free play anymore except for recess.

5. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 6, 2012

This is my first year in kindergarten after teaching pre-k, too. My class gets 15 minutes of recess (outdoors if nice out; in classroom if rainy) after morning snack and 20 minutes after lunch.

6. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 6, 2012

We have 60 minutes of recess outside every day.

At the beginning of the year I have free time in my classroom about 30-45 minutes per day. Most of that is right away in the morning so they can get it out of their system. Then I do a little at the end of the day when they are fried and can't listen to me anyway! By the end of the year I'm down to about 15 minutes of free time in the morning only.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 6, 2012

Unfortunately, we don't have any free play throughout the day either. I do sneak it in sometimes so it looks like they are playing at workstations but it's blocks and things that don't really have an objective to them.;)

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2012

They learn so much in block and lego centers about colors and patterns, counting and ratio. You can see their little minds thinking as they build those bridges and tunnels and houses for the animals. I definitely think it's a certifiable math center or workstation :)

9. Be_the_change

Be_the_change Rookie

Sep 9, 2012

We are allotted 40 minutes for application centers each afternoon. I usually give the students around 30 minutes in centers. Our centers include Discovery, Imagination, Writing, Library/Listening, Puzzles & Tubs, Computer, Art, and Blocks. Everyday I see my students applying what they have learned from my lessons in these centers.

On Friday, I had two friends playing the role of teacher and student in the library center. The "teacher" was asking the student to identify whether the book she was reading to the class was fiction or nonfiction. Seeing my students at "work" during centers truly makes my day!!!! :D

10. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 24, 2012

We have 20 minutes of recess after lunch. I also give them 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening.