How much does your babysitter charge?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Christine3, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

How much does your babysitter charge? Just curious!

3. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

Before there was an opening at the daycare for my youngest daughter, I had a friend watch her and she charged $20 per day. As far as a babysitter...like the 15 year old girl who sometimes watches the kids (when they were younger)...I would pay her about $25 an evening, depending on how long we were gone. Usually about $5 an hour for both boys. They were a bit older and could pretty much fend for themselves. She was just there to make sure they didn't burn the house down or worse, kill each other.

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

I don't have kids, but up until just a few years ago I did a lot of babysitting. I lived in southern California at the time, and there, anything between $8 and $12 an hour is typical.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

I always charged $100/per child/ week or $6/hr. For all day + overnight (like if the parents went away for the weekend) I got $50/day.

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 1, 2007

This is probably not a good time to mention that when I was RIF'd many years ago for a year, I kept my teacher-friends' children for $15.00 a week per child. This included two meals and a snack, and tons of snapshots every day.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 1, 2007

I pay $520/mo for my 4 year old in a pre-k type environment 6a-6p. It includes everything including a field trip each month.

I pay $200/mo for my 8 year old in before/after school care and that includes free full days when the school has days off and the govt doesn't. Also 6a-6p (minus school time). They serve breakfast and snack in the afternoon and lunch on full days.

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

Wow! That's a lot of money. I can see paying that if you are certified or something but not to a teenage girl trying to make some money. I pay $265 a week for both of my girls in a certified daycare. I think that comes out to about $6-$7 an hour and that includes food, playing outside, and educational activities. I guess California is a bit different than up here in Washington.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2007

I paid 25.00 a day. She was a certified teacher taking the semester off. But this included meals and trips that they went on with her school aged children. I know this was a little more expensive than a daycare, but I felt safe knowing that she was with a great person. She was a great babysittr. She is teaching this year. I wish my daughter could go to her school just so she could have her as a teacher.

10. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

I babysit a few families and my favorite (more like friends, I would do it for free, but they always pay me) my favorite pays me about $9/hour and I can basically do what I want with the kids. Beach, park, movie night, sledding, etc.

When I was looking for a nanny job though, I was asking about $15/hr because I have a license to teach and I had to drive and gas is not cheap.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2007

My sitter gets to my house at 7 and takes off with whatever I'm up to... breakfast, hair, whatever.

At 8:05ish she puts the 2 older kid on the bus (stop is across the street.)

3 days a week she takes Kira to Nursery school at 9:30 and picks her up at noon; the rest of the week she has Kira all day.

At 3 she picks up the 2 older kids at school and starts homework until I get home at 4or 4:30.

We pay her $250 per week.

12. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

wow in MA it is a bit more. I am a college student studying to be a k teacher and I also am a preschool teacher. I have tons of experience and I do lots of educational activities with the kids and I bring my own supplies. I charge 10 an hour and at night I charge 12 an hour. So far I have never babysat a one child family- I have lots of twins and larger families. The going rate in ma is at the very least 5 dollars a child per hour- but that is only for a mothers helper really- like a 12 year old. I generally have 2 or 3 kids and regardless I charge 10 an hour. I am also red cross certified, plus I am in college so I am older and have tons of experience- I run the kids like I would run my own classroom and the parents know that. so they are more then happy to pay for it.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

Ten years ago I charged 6 an hour for one child, 9 an hour for two children, and 12 an hour for three children.

14. nellyj00

nellyj00 New Member

Aug 2, 2007

What I pay

I pay $231 a month for two days a week 7:30-4:30...this is typical of a Southern California Church Preschool program. Student teaching in the Fall is going to KILL me! My son will be going 5 days a week for $510 a month 5 days a week.....cost is nothing compared to peace of mind. His teachers are great. They all know I am a teacher, and they all deserve every bit of what they get paid.

15. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I am a nanny this summer for a 5 year old girl, it helps my husband and I pay the school bills! I work M-F from 7-4 for $200 a week. (Also, she comes to my house, as I have 2 kids of my own).

16. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

After working at a center this summer, $6 an hour with 12 kids (if I was in ratio, which was rare. We were always over) I think I need to go back to nannying.

With Danny, I got $6/hr, I could go to the bathroom when I wanted, we did what we felt like doing (go to the park, etc), and if I wasn't having a great day, the PBS could give me a minute to breathe!

17. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

My cousin watches my kids while I am at work and she charges
    $40/day for 2. When she just had my daughter it was $25/day.

When we have a babysitter for a night out they usually charge
    $5 or $6/hour.

My 3 year old will be attending pre-school two mornings a week in the fall. They charge $70/month.

18. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 3, 2007

I babysit for a few different families and I get $10 an hour. I wouldn't say I "charge" that amount, it is just the standard that people in the area I sit for pay- they are all country club members, whose children I have had in camp in past summers. I often take the kids out to dinner or order in, and the family pays for my meal. I also am willing to drive the kids anywhere they need to go- playdates, baseball games, pick them up from parties, whatever. And I think the responsibility of having someone else's children in your car warrants a higher pay in itself. One family has 3 kids, another has only 1, but it is the same price. They are both very good to me and I often receive more money than I am technically supposed to. I guess it seems like a lot, but I'm a certified teacher and I know nobody is struggling to pay me at the end of the night! The kids' moms say I am a bargain- 10 bucks an hour is a small price to pay for complete peace of mind whenever you go out. I actually had one of my little ones throw up all over the place, including all over me, about 6 months ago. I called the parents strictly to tell them it had happened and find out what they wanted me to use to clean it off the carpet. They asked if he was okay (he seemed it, said he felt much better, poor thing) and if I was okay (I told them it wasn't the first time I had been thrown up on and probably wouldn't be the last), directed me towards the Oxi-Clean, and resumed their dinner. They told me later that the couple they were with was shocked that they didn't rush home- to which Mom replied, "You don't know my babysitter- everything's under control." They gave me some bonus cash at the end of the night despite my resistance. But I think that something like that in itself- the knowledge that even if your kid is sick, they are taken care of and comfortable enough with the sitter to not need you to rush home- are worth the money.

I didn't mean for this to be so long!

19. Vannie_4ev

Vannie_4ev Guest

Aug 4, 2007

A Q.

What do you do? Bring the kids to where you live or where they live? Im nervous because this will be my first time babysitting besides family...and Im nervous of going to someones house who I dont know! What do you think?

Sorry for posting on your post.

20. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

I pay $10 for when my co-corkers (I work at a child care center) come to my house and babysit my two kids who are 5 and 7. They're 20-25 years old, have tons of experience and I respect them too much to pay anything less than that. When one of the teens from the neighborhood watch the kids we pay $7 per hour. I know with other families they get in the range of $5 to $7 per hour. Sometimes we have someone come over to basically play with the kids while we do chores around the house and for that we pay $5 per hour. We don't like to go too long between times using the sitters so that's the main reason we'll do that. Plus our kids love it and we can gets lots done without being interupted or having the kids just sit and watch TV!

21. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 5, 2007

I always go to them. It is a bit strange in the beginning, trying to find your way around the house and figure out the kids' routines, but like anything else it gets easier with time. I have been sitting for one family every 2 weeks for 4 years now- I can find absolutely anything in their house in under 2 minutes- bandaids, sprinkles for ice cream, new bottles of shampoo, Oxi Clean (;) ), dog food, ponytails, you name it. I'm more than comfortable being in their house.

A lot also depends on the family. This particular couple spent the first few months making it clear that I was to make myself at home- snack on whatever I wanted, hop on the computer, watch tv. Now I have a laptop and they specifically open up their internet service so that I can go online when the kids go to bed!

If you can find a good family, babysitting is the best extra cash you can get, IMHO. Good luck and have fun!!

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 5, 2007

I pay $75 a week for my 4 year old daughter--she is picked up at school at 11 and stays at daycare until 4:30 or so. They come and get her and then they feed her lunch.

23. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

The few times I have babysat the parents always paid at least $10 an hour...and I was usually there for about 4-6 hours. But this is in a pretty nice area...if I was the parent I would pay about $6/hr sounds good to me!

24. IUSB_Megan

IUSB_Megan Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I used to get around $3 for one, $5 for two, and $7 for three. Of course, those were averages - some families paid a little more or a little less. It doesn't sound like a lot, but here in The Middle of Nowhere, Indiana, it is pretty much the going rate. I loved it - the kids I sat for were great.

I tried to keep them busy - we would walk to the park or library, or do some kind of little craft. I had one little girl who always asked her mom to get the white cheddar mac and cheese for us for dinner because she thought it was neat that I let her choose a food color to put in it. It was really a great learning opportunity because we would mix the colors and see what would happen.