How much does GPA matter?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wmubronco, Oct 8, 2009.

1. wmubronco

wmubronco Rookie

Oct 8, 2009

So I am finishing up and will be in the job market soon but I have a real concern that my GPA is too low (2.97). Any idea? Any advise or past experiences to tell otherwise? Also, how beneficial to be a member of the honor society for your major/minor?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2009

I have never been asked for my GPA or transcripts - only proof I graduated and have the certificates required. I think we have had a similar thread before and my experience was common.

4. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Oct 9, 2009

In Texas pretty much all online applications ask for GPA, I don't know how much of a bearing that is has though. Have you looked at the applications in MI? Do they even ask for GPA?

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2009

In CA they don't seem to care. It isn't asked on the applications, at least the ones I've seen.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 9, 2009

It is put on the on-line applications here.

I'll tell you... my ORIGINAL GPA was a little higher than average...and I thought that was the reason I missed out on some jobs my first round.

Returning to school I was nearly a solid A student (3.85). I thought THAT would carry weight...it doesn't seem that it has.

So...I don't know WHAT matters anymore!

7. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Oct 9, 2009

McKenna, I also had a 3.8 in college and it doesn't seem to matter.

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 9, 2009

Yup...

and how i thought it did.

I wouldn't have tried less if i knew...but I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up either.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2009

I don't think it matters that much.

10. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Oct 9, 2009

They don't ask for GPA here - they do ask for copies of transcripts, but rarely look at them and if they do, just to see what classes you took and if you have a certain number of cerdits in your subject matter (for highly qualified)

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2009

Around here it really depends on the district if it matters or not.

12. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 10, 2009

In the area where I went to school for my teacher education program, GPA matters. It is SO unbelievably competitive. I interned with a district that only wanted applicants with at least a 3.0 GPA (or, if your undergrad GPA was lower, a 3.5 in your Master's program) with an A in student teaching, and who scored in the 60th percentile on the Praxis and 70th percentile in your specialty area. It is a very, very desirable district and pays the most. They still receive thousands of applications.

Where I am now? Doesn't matter. You still need to provide transcripts to show proof you have your degree, but I've never had anyone ask for my GPA (which is really quite good-- my GPA, that is).

13. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2009

Never been asked for it. Just diplomas and majors. Good luck!

14. wmubronco

wmubronco Rookie

Oct 11, 2009

Thanks for all the responses. I talked with a friend who teaches, has been doing it for about 10 years. I asked what his GPA was and if it mattered...his response, "You are the first person since graduation to actually what my GPA was, including the people who hired me."

15. Simba

Simba Comrade

Oct 12, 2009

Unfortunately, I feel like it's more about who you know when getting hired than what your GPA is.

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Oct 12, 2009

Your GPA matters... but in SC and in TX, it is more of what you have done to prepare yourself for teaching...ie. your student teaching experiences, your practicums, and ANY experience that you can bring to the position. All the best!!!!

17. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 12, 2009

My division (according to my super) does not like to hire people with super high GPAs because, based on experience within the division, they often don't make the best teachers. That's not to say that they won't get interviews, but my super believes that people who have struggled at something make better teachers. Its more about your internship here (but I'm in Canada). My GPA was okay - in the mid to high 70s, but my student teaching recommendations where phenomenal.

18. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 12, 2009

I had a high GPA and I'm a good teacher :) I'd say its judgemental of the super to think that having a high GPA means you've never struggled with anything. Anyway, it does not seem to matter much here. Honestly I think it should matter more.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2009

My district is highly competitive. Official transcripts and GPAs are required and considered as part of the hiring process.

If your GPA is not good, do not list it on your resume.

20. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 14, 2009

Mine is mid to high 70s - its on my resume and its never held me back. Divisions in my province think performance evaluations are more important than anything else.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2009

Glad it's worked for you...I don't know how mid to high 70s translates to our 4 point GPA scale so it's difficult to make a comparison.

In most cases in NJ, the market is EXTREMELY competitive (and has been for years-even before the market got tough)...New teachers right out of college have little experience and may not have formal performance evaluations. At best, they may have letters of rec...In any case, where someone went to school, their GPA, the quality of their cover letter, their experience all come in to play when considering who to even INTERVIEW. A candidate in such a market is smart to play up their positives and downplay (or not list) their negatives.

22. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 15, 2009

We are required to do a large number (4) student teaching experiences for convocation. GPA is not the most important thing. Performance evaluations, cover letter and how we interview (and I must admit, I am a killer interviewee, like Alice always says, its like a cocktail party without cocktails and I get to be the certain of attention).

The thing is, they will see your GPA eventually. Hiding it might hurt you more in the long run.

23. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 15, 2009

Being a teacher (or any professional) you need to have a menagerie of qualifiers. Having a lower GPA isn't going to matter if you have other strengths (experience in classroom, reviews, interview skills, etc.). It's about the whole package. I went to a college that nobody has ever heard of, it hasn't stopped me from finding jobs, being accepted into a highly competitive Teach for America program, or getting accepted into a doctoral program. My no-name school is balanced out by my experience, GPA, interview skills, etc.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

All I'm saying is, it's a competitive market (in all fields, not just education)..it's a good time to 'get your ducks in a row'. My district recently was hiring for a LTS position. There was a candidate who thought she had it in the bag, having LTS'd last year. Unfortunately, she was way too over confident- she thought her experience in district was enough to get the job...while subbing recently, she mouthed off in the faculty room about 'when she has her own classroom next year" and who 'better be in her class'. Those thoughts made it back to the hiring committee who didn't receive it well...Plus her credentials weren't impeccable... so yeah, get your ducks in a row- GPA , transcripts, evals, letters of rec and your interviewing skills/attitude...You've got to have as much going for you as possible.