How much do you spend????

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 4, 2011

I've spent over a thousand dollars this year.

What have I bought?

Books for my classroom library. All used but, even so, a couple of hundred used books adds up to a decent amount of dollars.

Source books. I have no curriculum materials for my LLD students and I needed additional materials for my resource students.

Bulletin board sets and classroom decorations. I hope you don't think this makes me a bad teacher but I am just so not artsy. I know it would be cheaper if I could make my own things but that's just not going to happen.

Manipulatives. My math students needed them desperately.

Incentives/prize box tokens. You may think that, ideally, they shouldn't need this but it works!

Supplies. Teachers order their supplies the year prior. I'm new so I couldn't order anything last year. There are some things that I've begged, borrowed, or stolen (;) ) to get but plenty more that I've had to buy myself.

Baskets, file holders, stickers, stampers, and other misc. - a teacher's gotta have 'em.

I'm sure there's other things that I'm forgetting but somehow, that's added up to four figures!

Is this normal because my husband is NOT happy! He keeps telling me I'm going to need a job to pay for my job. :confused:

3. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 4, 2011

Make sure you keep your receipts so that you can write it off on your taxes.

I'm a substitute teacher and I still buy things for teaching! I have tried to limit it. I just get tired of having the same old things in my sub bag to use as fillers. If I'm bored with it, I can't make it interesting for the kids. I also have private music students to buy things for and the long-term that I am doing is costing me a little bit. I'm trying to keep it cheap but their current teacher has no positive behavior plan in her room. I am giving out tickets for a drawing to choose from a prize box. The roll of tickets cost $7.00 but they should last awhile. The prizes will be pretty cheap. I will write all of it off on my taxes. Maybe I can get by without oweing this year! Can you tell your husband that you are spending so that you can save?

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 4, 2011

I've bought a lot of the same things you have- books, small decorations, prize box items, math manipulatives, basic school supplies. I've spent about $550, but thankfully will get reimbursed for $250 of that. I don't have a curriculum either (other than one scripted reading program that I don't particularly like, and it only deals with phonics so I couldn't use it for everyone even if I wanted to), but I haven't bought anything. I find things online or make my own materials. I bought a rug and some pillows, an ABC chart, number chart, and 2 other posters for my room in the way of "decorations." I'm not artsy either, but many of the things on my walls are student work or goal charts where they can put stickers up to track their progress toward things. I'd say my biggest money-eater was just basic school supplies and things for everyday classroom use- I couldn't put out a list and ask students to bring these things like regular ed teachers can. I also bought a 2 inch binder and divider tabs for each student so I can keep track of all of their documentation. I found a great deal online, but still x25 students it was a chunk of money.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2011

My first year teaching I spent a few thousand dollars, and that was back in the late 80's. I think last year I spent about $1500.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2011

I try not to spend more than about $50 each year.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2011

I used to spend more, but now that I fairly settled I probably spend, oh, maybe $400 a year. Just a guess.

I buy things I want, not need...my attitude at this point in my career is that I am not supplying things the school should. Thankfully that's not a big issue I face.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 4, 2011

I bought a lot of books so far. My school is really good at providing the basics but there are some books that I want to teach that we don't have and my classes are so small that I just bought them used. We can also require students to buy books so my students will also be buying some of their own novels.

I also got some decorative stuff just to liven up the classroom a little.

I try not to spend too much but sometimes I see something and I just can't help but buy it :lol:

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 4, 2011

I buy hardly anything anymore, but my school is pretty good with supplying materials. One thing I have found is don't be afraid to drop the fact that you are a teacher, and ask for discounts. Shop locally and at small stores and you are more likely to get discounted items. If there is something I need, I will first ask around for donations too. My husband's company just loves to throw money at the local schools, but not many people ask, so their donation fund just sits there.

10. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Oct 4, 2011

I've spent about $1,000.

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 4, 2011

I spent about $750 my first year. I had to supply my own clocks, trash cans and lab equipment/supplies for my class. I also had to supply my own copy paper and supplies for my students. Apparently giving them a laptop and a free college degree wasn't good enough - it was expected that the teachers have paper and pencils for them too. @@

Last year I spent about $400. Since teachers get $250 from the federal gov't at tax time, I told myself I was going to limit my purchases to that from here on out.

I'm so tired of getting paid less each year, working more each year and getting less and less respect each year. So I'm also at the point where I buy what I want. If the school or students need something, they can buy it themselves. I'm holding onto what little I can.

My husband was quite irritated with the $750 that year. So I know how you feel!

12. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Oct 4, 2011

Now that I have taught for 20 years I only spend about $500. I could spend less if I bought cheaper prizes but I love the kids. After the first five years your spending should really be around $500. You can always look into getting grants. At my school several of the teachers have received things from Donors Choose.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 4, 2011

At my school we are operating on a shoestring. And I am operating on a shoestring. I spend as little as possible. I mostly spend on books that help me as a teacher, or some special children's books that I use year after year. My personal stash.

Because my school has had such a tight budget for so long, we have all learned to make good use of hand-me-downs from the public schools - they are very generous to us!- and from parents and business around town who donate things to us from time to time. One time a local store cleared out their summer stock of Haagen Das ice cream bars! We teachers were sitting well for several months! Once they gave us all their leftover Valentine candy. Good little treats for a Friday afternoon. The stationary store gave us a ton of paper goods. Our staff can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

So I spend very, very little now. (At first I spent a lot.)