How much do you spend out of pocket?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teppiedoo, May 21, 2015.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 24, 2015

The answer is nil, zero, nada, rien, zilch. The day the school stops reimbursing me for supplies is the day I stop buying them.

2. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 24, 2015

I always shocked when parents can't even provide pencils.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 24, 2015

Between the school year and summer school, I usually end up paying about $500 or so.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 24, 2015

Not much. By state law, I receive $500 a year. Usually, $100 goes copies (paper, toner) and laminating film. The rest goes towards anything and everything I use throughout the year- construction paper, tape, staples, whiteboard markers, etc. The school itself doesn't supply any of that since the state gives money.

Our PTO fundraises each year so we can be school-supply free. This means I am given a budget of $20 per student, and I purchase all the necessary school supplies. I get lots of dirty looks in the store as I load up on notebooks, crayons, and pencils every August!

5. Teppiedoo

Teppiedoo Rookie

May 24, 2015

WOW! Thank you for all of your wonderful and insightful replies.

I will be teaching a 3-5 SPED class next year so I am bit nervous to be covering three different grade levels. It's a brand new position and classroom so it could be pretty empty...I will just have to wait and see what I can get from the school and district :)

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 25, 2015

Don't forget garage sales to fill your classroom with cheap toys, manipulatives, and other things. I have also bought lots of things from the clearance section of Really Good Stuff and other teaching stores. In the beginning of the year, as teachers are setting up their classroom, many of them give lots of stuff away. Some schools have a central location where you can go get stuff.

Next year, try to shop in the classrooms of retiring teachers. Many of them give away much of their stuff when they leave. Word gets around pretty quickly about teachers willing to give away stuff.

As you are thinking about acquiring stuff for your room, think about which items can be used by all your grade levels. That will help cut down on gathering way too much stuff.

Good luck...I love teaching multi-grade SPED. Right now I teach 6 grade levels.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 25, 2015

I spend very little, maybe $40 - $50. Most out of pocket is due to my own doing...crafts for the holidays or gifts for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas, end of year gift to students. And even then I can hand in any receipts and get reimbursed. My district is phenomenal when it comes to providing for the teachers and students.