How much do you spend on your fitness?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Jul 13, 2011.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 13, 2011

Regular gym membership ($20/mo.) = $240/year
    Joined another athletic club this year = $350/season

I'm looking at about $600 this year roughly.

What do you guys/girls spend? I'm talking gym membership, softball rec league fees, yoga class, martial arts... what others spend on their fitness.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2011

I workout at home, so nothing.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

Same. My workouts consist of exercise DVDs, my treadmill, and walks around the neighborhood.

5. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

I walk 4-5 miles a day , ride my bicycle, and do an exercise DVD for strength 3 days a week. Free!!

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 13, 2011

Well if you only count my Y membership then its $420/year. However if you factor in all my running gear and race fees then I'm sure its much more like a $1000. I consider it money well spent though.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2011

I use to be a member at a gym but then moved to my new town by the beach. Right now, my workouts consists of running (sometimes on the beach :D), working out with Kinnect or wii, and workout shows on Netflix/Hulu. So, at the moment, I spend nothing (except for the occasional new wii/xbox game).

Hubby and I do plan on joining a gym though. I need to move to the next level, strength training wise.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 13, 2011

We bought an exercise bike yesterday, but other than that, nothing. My hubby and I will share it, so... $200 for me for hopefully more than a year.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2011

I'm not good about exercising.. . but what I do do is all at home, so it's free. I use the weights we bought years ago, I don't consider the swimming pool to be exercise equipment as we also use it for recreation.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2011

Back in the mid-90s when it used to be called Family Fitness (now it's 24 Hr Fitness), my parents & I joined for $19/mo for ALL 3 of us & it's still that price now, I don't know why it hasn't increased like everything else does. We'll never cancel because we'll never get that price ever again.

Then, back in Dec 2006 to May/June 2007, I got a personal trainer. I don't remember how many sessions included the price I paid, but it was over $1000...I'd say about 13-15 hour-long sessions & I bought 2-3 packs of sessions.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

$58/mnth for 12 months so...$696/yr. Well worth it because I know I wouldn't work out at home.

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 13, 2011

If I were in better shape, I'd think about joining a gym because city employees and their family can get a membership for $20 a month. I don't want other people seeing my fat flop around, ha-ha. I've had a treadmill for about three years. It's seen more action in the last couple of months than the entire three years I've had it, lol. It was about $350. I want some $100 running shoes, though, because I've started, and fell in love with, running. I have worked up to logging nine miles a week, pretty pathetic compared to some of y'all, I'm sure. :p Hopefully, it'll get better. A whole nine miles a week is totally deserving of $100 shoes, right? :lol:

Beth

13. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

I spend nothing. I ride my bike, walk, go jogging. My boyfriend works for a tech company in the Silicon Valley so I play on his IM soccer and softball teams. I'm jealous he has a gym at work, though. I look at all the perks of his job sometimes and wonder if I should try to work for a company like that. Then I remember that teachers make a real difference. :)

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2011

No memberships or anything along those lines...I'm not cut out for a gym. I have several things here at home which obviously cost money, but that's all.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

Bella~use those shoes as motivation to work out. Set a set number of miles or minutes a week and once you hit that goal, get the shoes!

16. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 13, 2011

When I was a senior in high school (going way back to 2003 -2004, lol) I was significantly overweight, i guess obese...i was 290lbs at 6'3. That summer my best friend was working out and took me under his wing and I lost 40 lbs that summer and continued losing weight freshman year in college till I got to 200 lbs.

I have been weight lifting and bringing up my muscle tone ever since..and I'm really into it and health in general...I eat healthy and jog 3 days a week and lift 5-6 days...I even ran my first 5k this past year at a students request, lol.

now I am 230 lbs and happy with the way I look!

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2011

The gym is free on base, and some of the military bases have free classes at the gym. Most of the classes at the gym here cost money, so I paid $50 for 30 passes. I also started working out with a personal trainer just for the summer-that cost $300 for 10 sessions. I have been going to a six week boot camp also, and it cost $120. I don't usually like to pay anything, but I just couldn't get myself started up at the gym again. It had been about two years since I sprained my ankle and stopped working out, and I really needed something to keep me going. I definitely feel a lot better now, so it was worth it to me.

18. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2011

My gym membership is 600 a year. That's with a 100 dollar teacher discount. It's a lot, but worth it to me. I go 5-6 days a week and I know I wouldn't work out (at least as hard) otherwise. I actually really enjoy "going to the gym" as opposed to doing a dvd at my apartment or biking or something. It's a really nice facility as well.

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2011

Gym membership $30/month

I've been trading tutoring for private yoga this summer, and I'm totally hooked! She's going to come to my house once school starts (I'd been going to hers, but now there's the problem of if I'm free, her kids are home...). Still not sure if I'm going to pay her $16-20/week, trade tutoring, or a combo of the two.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2011

It's complicated. My workout is also one of my main forms of transportation and how I normally get back and forth to work. It's also my main hobby. With that said, I spend a lot. Sometimes as much as I used to on gas.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 14, 2011

Dh and I do Crossfit. Between the two of us, it's about $450/500 a month to go three times a week each. I think it's well worth it, but I'm sick of my gym. The owner is becoming a real jerk and I'm loosing a lot of money because of it. He keeps changing his nights with late classes-the only ones I can get to now-so I keep missing them. And when I was ill, he changed his membership hold policy, stating I had to be sick for two weeks to put my membership on hold. Who is sick for two straight weeks? So because I was only sick 1 week, I lost all those classes (you have to use your three times a week or you loose them-no carrying classes over or making them up).

Our membership is up in Oct. for me and Nov. for DH. We'll be looking for a new Crossfit gym or buying our own equipment and working out with that. We're tempted to rent out a storage unit and build a gym in that. Apparently this is a big thing in the Crossfit community-then you can invite friends to come workout at the unit with you and just close it up when you're done. The investment would be a couple thousand up front, but the equipment would last for a very long time.

22. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 14, 2011

My husband and I have spent about $4000 on our gym membership/personal training sessions since last October. It's been worth it though, as we've lost a combined 145 pounds. It will be considerably less now that we are both almost at our goals. We will continue to work out at the gym daily, but we will not need to see the personal trainer as often since we are more "educated" on both exercising and eating properly. We just switched over to the YMCA and they have a larger variety of classes throughout the day and evening. It will be roughly $1000 for us a year now. Seems like a lot of money when I put it in writing, but I know it will add years on to our lives and hopefully reduce doctors visits, etc.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2011

I'm not a member of a gym.

I'm trying to eat better. I have 3 kids, so there are plenty of We all have bikes, we have a pool, we have a dog who needs to be walked...

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2011

No gym for me...I have a recumbent bike that I ride at least 30 minutes per day...gets my heart rate up, a good sweat, makes me feel energized. Sometimes I work with light weights while on the bike...I'm a multitasker! During the school year I keep my Sketchers Shape Ups at school and walk most days at lunchtime.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 14, 2011

I know some people are self conscious & don't even want to join a gym unless they're already in pretty good shape, otherwise, they'd feel embarrassed. Don't feel that way guys! :) Everyone started off at a certain point somewhere. That's what the gym is for...to get into shape! :thumb:

26. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 14, 2011

A couple of my friends come to my house and we swim laps and do water aerobics everyday. In the evening I walk four miles with another friend of mine at a local university track. Yesterday my school asked for volunteers to help lay 10 pallets of sod!! That was a great workout and fun too!!

27. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 14, 2011

I am thinking of joining the Y again. I was a swimmer when I was growing up. I belonged to the swim team in the summer and loved it. I really want to get back into doing lap swimming again.

I was checking out prices of two YMCAs.

One, I drive by on my way home each night and thought I would join there. However, the have two fees when joining; $125 - joiners fee, and $60 a month fee. So the total is $845 for the year. It will cost $520 for the year.

The other is in my town about 10 mins from where I live. It costs $520 for the year. They have other plans but this one is the one I would do since it is cheaper.

However, I do other things like the Wii FIT, or walk around the lake (about 3 miles). I have hiking trails around my town that I walk on. I think I am going to ask for a bike for Christmas this year. I like to do different forms of exercising.

28. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 14, 2011

Me too. That's sorta why I asked. This latest club I just joined this year is a rowing club, and it is pretty fun. But it is quite a commitment. (And it seems that everyone in the club lives and breathes it.) I would like to find something else that I enjoy, and do this on a more recreational level.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2011

You dont need a gym to get or stay in shape. Some don't join gyms because of not wanting to spend the money or having at home work out routines. Some are able to stay in great shape through a combination of smart eating choices and moderate exercise. I'm in good shape, exercise daily and look better than several colleagues who do 'boot camp' or 'spinning' at the gym...

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2011

You certainly don't need a gym to get or stay in shape, but many people would like join but are too insecure. Someone has said just that already in the conversation. I'm sure that's why Ms.I was encouraging those who hesitate to join. :)

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 14, 2011

Yes czacza, I'm well aware of that. :)

Right JustMe! I know earlier in this thread a person mentioned about not wanting to join because they'd feel funny & I quote from the other poster's words, "with their fat flopping around." Plus, I know a lot of people tend to get intimidated by all the hard bodies at the gym pumping iron. I'm simply saying that for those who are on the fence about joining & really want to, but are self conscious, don't be! :)

32. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 14, 2011

That is about what I pay too. I would never work out at home. I had a friend who bought a treadmill and she rarely used it. She eventually sold it.

33. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2011

I absolutely agree with you and others who are encouraging people to not be shy about going to a gym. Some of us need that gym atmosphere to get healthier. I used my home elliptical and treadmill for dust collection! I just started this summer and have already lost five pounds just from walking the treadmill an hour a day. For me, it's a lot easier than walking outside because I can set my speed and incline and time, plus I can see how many calories I'm burning and watch my favorite trash tv shows too! The trainers are all so encouraging and make you feel so good about your decision to exercise regularly. It's true. Everyone has to start somewhere. And even skinny, fit people exercise. That's why they look like that! I'm not skinny and fit (yet) because I wasn't hitting the gym.

34. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 14, 2011

I have a gym membership because I wouldn't do any exercising if I didn't have it. I need that "extra" push to work out! I also need the accountability of my trainer. I am slowly learning to be accountable to myself and then I won't need my trainer anymore :). I also needed to be educated on the correct ways of eating...

35. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2011

I felt embarrassed about going to the gym or even running outside at the park when I first started working out. I was almost a hundred pounds overweight at that time. I would go to the park and then actually turn around and go home if there were too many people there. I finally realized that everyone else at the gym or track was there to work out too, and they really didn't care what I was doing. I realized I would never get in shape if I just worried about what other people were thinking about me. So I go for ME now. It didn't happen immediately, but I never feel embarrassed about going to the gym now.

36. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Jul 21, 2011

I spend a lot! I don't have a gym membership. The odd time I go and pay the 6$ for the day and I sometimes go to the pool or zumba (both 6$) but mostly it is on running. I've bought a lot of gear this year (3 pairs of runners, fuel belt, water pack, gels and gatorade, garmin, clothes, magazine subscriptions, etc) and race fees, plus a few races away (one in Sudbury, one in Toronto, 4 more to come this year). I'm generally really cheap so this is one area I have spent a ton this year but the races maintain my motivation).

37. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 22, 2011

I have a treadmill, exercise bike, and mountain bike that I use. This fall, I'll be working with weights at the high school gym after hours.