How much do you spend on your classroom per year?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Buckeye, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Buckeye

Buckeye Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

Granted last year was my first year teaching I spent close to $750. I thought this year was not going to be as bad. Boy, was I wrong. What do you all spend on your classroom per year? Does your school give you a stipend?

Meghan

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 3, 2005

My 1st year I spent about 1,000 dollars. This year since I am going to a new school I wanted to get some things that I have been doing without for 4 years. I bought a lot of books on tape and big books on EBay. I still have to go to the teaching store and buy a few more things.

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2005

I spent a lot the first year maybe 1000+ who knows. I have tried to stop buying so much though. This year I have probably spent 400.

5. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 3, 2005

wow, that's a lot. My first year I probably spent a couple hundred. This year about two hundred.

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 3, 2005

The reason I had to buy so much my 1st year was that there was nothing for me when I arrived. I wasn't taking over a classroom they had added an additional kindergarten class so I started from scratch. There were a few things for me but they were so old.

7. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 3, 2005

I only spend around $200. I just can't afford more than that. Most of my supplies come from garage sales, donations, or second hand. My neighbors and church friends know I am always looking for books and craft supplies.

I put my name on things I pay for myself. I may not want them when I leave, but at least I have the option. Besides, I don't have to inventory my personal property!

8. talk to me

talk to me Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

My situation is same as your TeacherChat Addict. In fact i started of buying first aid book just today. I love to buy things for my classroom.

9. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 3, 2005

I understand

Yeah, I can understand that. I had gotten a lot of things given to me from a friend who used to teach 4th grade and moved down to kindergarten. She game me all her stuff since I had 3rd graders, and she couldn't use it with kindergarten. So that's why I didn't have to spend that much. Plus, I really can't afford it...so like I said, this year it's been about 200 and I'm hoping not to go over that. But if I had the money, I'm sure I'd be splurging! ;)

[​IMG]

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2005

Last year I only spent $400. Usually I spend around 800-900 or more a year, but I keep every single receipt. I don't think I am spending that much until I add it up at the end of the year. I always vow to spend less than a hundred dollars, but that never lasts.

11. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

Usually I spend too much! I always vow not to buy new things because I have so much, but every year the stuff just seems to get cuter and cuter. :)

12. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 3, 2005

Do elementary teachers spend more than secondary ed teachers? B/c I see alot of you spend alot of money and I haven't even spend $100 yet. Is it because secondary ed teachers are supplied more things than elem. teachers? Just curious

13. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

i agree w/the person who said every year the stuff just gets cuter and cuter (therefore making it just too hard to resist! :))!! i'm going into my 3rd year of teaching (i teach 1st grade) and i usually spend about $1000. i think that elementary teachers do spend more; however, i think a lot of it depends on the individual teacher. i have seen classrooms that look like they come straight out of the better home (or should i say school!) & garden magazine, but i also know that a lot of those teachers spend mucho money on supplies, decorations, etc. some teachers are lucky and are artsy/crafty and can just make stuff, too. teaching can be an extremely expensive profession-you just have to get creative sometimes & try not to spend too much. but we all love it anyway, right???!!! -meri

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 3, 2005

About $350. After a while you just get kinda 'cute-d out'.

15. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 3, 2005

I've spent about $600 this year. I keep telling myself that I'm done and there isn't possibly anything else that I could need, but I keep finding things. It continues to be the same each year. I think I spent close to $1000 if not more my first year. Once school gets going though, I tend not to spend as much money. It all is spent before school starts.

16. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2005

I've been teacing for 12 years. My first year I also started out a new classroom and was given very little by way of toys and supplies (I teach PK). I kept every receipt and I spent $2300. And that's not counting the things my mom and my husband (then boyfriend) bought as gifts. I mean, I even had to buy crayons and paint, because the classroom was added after the school did it's yearly order, and there was none for me. In the next couple of years, it was around $1000, but now I spend very little...I'd say a couple of hundred a year, and that's it. I've kept everything, and I reuse everything yearly. I do know that when we switched curriculums and I had new themes to accomodate, I spent more that year.

We've also started a new thing in the budgeting process where I get $40 a student to spend on supplies, but that includes paper, glue, paint, pencils, EVERYTHING. So, instead of the school doing the order, you order what you'd like for your own room. This started 3 years ago, and I love it! I know just what I use every year, and any money left over, I can get other things, like new CDs, games, manipulatives, puzzles...
    Kim

17. Laini

Laini Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

Wow!! There is alot of money being spent. This is my first year teaching, 1st grade and will be in a brand new classroom. I have held off on buying alot of stuff thinking I was going to get some money from the school, but the principal told me yesterday I will have what I "need" to start out with. My room looks empty but it's nice. I don't want to go overboard but I would like to get started decorating. Do you keep the receipts for tax purposes or to turn them into PTO/PTA???

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 4, 2005

Last year was my first year as well. I spent about $800 of my own money, plus the $500 from the school district and $800 from the state. I've gotten alot of stuff from flea markets, garage sales, and dollar stores. So far for this year I've spent $300 from school and $150 from me. I won't spend as much this year or next. I'm kind-of winding down of my classroom spending. We're moving into a new building next year so I'll scale down as I pack away. I've gotten lots of free stuff from other teachers getting rid of things.

19. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 4, 2005

This is my first year teaching and I have spent quite a bit. I have been trying to just buy the things I will need to get started. Then I will add things as I need them (especially seasonal items). I realized that I needed to watch how much I was spending so I could afford to buy clothes to teach in.

20. Aoide

Aoide Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

This was my school year's resolution for last year. Spend less money. I have to differentiate between money I spend on myself versus on the students. I love pens and pencils and all that school supply stuff so I buy a lot of that for myself each year to use in the classroom, say $200 at least. A lot of it I could get through the school, but I'm a school supply addict, so I want to pick out the fancy pen or the cool liquid paper. I know, I'm a nerd. :rolleyes:

I probably spend about $500 - 600 on the students. I teach choir so I do have a budget, but some times there are things I just can't get out of the budget, especially when we have special social activities for the students. Also sometimes things come up at the last minute and money goes there as well. Every year though I try to cut down.

In fact I went to the teacher store the other day and the only thing I bought for myself was some blue ticky tack to hang posters. It was a strange feeling!

21. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 7, 2005

I was interested, do your schools give you a lot of money to buy things with? Our school only gives us $50.00 back if we show them our reciepts. The rest is up to us.

Also, I think that elementary teachers do spend more than upper grades. We have much more "cutsy" decorating things in our classrooms. And we do more with bulletin boards, etc. There are also a lot of little things we buy that the older grades don't like happy birthday pencils, stickers, stamps, etc.

[​IMG]

22. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 7, 2005

How much do I spend? As little as possible! :D I'm kidding. I was lucky my first year. My grandmother retired 2 years before I started teaching so she kept all her stuff for me. I don't have much of that left after 18 years in my own classrooms because a lot of it has become out-dated. But I probably don't spend more than $100-200 before school starts. I spend way too much when I go into teacher supply stores, so I try to avoid them as much as possible. I only go when I absolutely need to, and then with a list. It's kinda like going grocery shopping when you're hungry! ;)

23. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2005

My school doesn't pay me back for anything. The parents each pay a $20 "supplies" fee each year, and I can turn in receipts and get reimbursed from that fund, but only for materials the children will actually use (like cooking supplies or balloons in a paper mache project), not stuff like bulletin board borders or teacher tools.
    Kim

24. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

Instead of spending less each year, I seem to be spending more. I tire of the old stuff, and I am always looking for enhancements and new ideas. The District gives us $100 (or $125-I'm not sure) to reimburse us for items and this year , in addition, we were able to spend about $250 by ordering from a catalog. I still ordered stuff on-line and still visited the Ed store, and still visited Walmarts, and Target, and Office Depot, and the Dollar Tree Stores, and garage sales. Sigh! I think I spent my raise that I haven't received. But I'm havin' fun and my school kids will benefit from it all!

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2005

We have to have a purchase order or send the catalog request form to the office for whatever we want. We have $500 to spend, but nothing gets reimbursed. Well...if we're traveling for the school, then we get our room and conference paid for. They will reimburse us for milage and meals (within reason).

26. Teach4U

Teach4U Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

This is my fifth year teaching, however this will be my first year in kindergarten. I was told last week that I will have a classroom and blinds on the windows to start with. No tables, games, or toys. I have only spent $20.00 so far, but I have saved so many things from college and my first years of teaching. I always go shopping the week after a holiday for things that I could use in my classroom. Stores usually have decorations and other things at very large discounted prices. Also, retail stores that offer back to school sales are the best. Notebooks, glue, crayons, etc. are so cheap that I can stock up for the year for fifty dollars. Although I have this money saving advice now, I spent close to $800 my first year of teaching in junior high. I don't think it matters the age of the kids. Teaching is expensive.

27. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2005

I used to spend quite a chunk and now I try and limit my spending. It's tough-especially because it's so fun to get refreshed each year and buy new things. I think I have spent about $400 so far this year.

28. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 7, 2005

I am going into my 6th year of teaching special education full-time. I have never been in the same grade for more than 2 years. I teach in an inclusion district. My first 2 years I taught 4-6 grade. Then the next 2 years 1st grade. Now, I am going into my 2nd year in 2nd grade.

I seem to spend quite a bit of money each school year. I have to say I have accumulated quite a bit of stuff in 6 years. I have stored all my 4-6 grade things in my basement because I never know where I will end up for the next school year.

This year, I have been trying to cut back a bit on spending my own money. I have been using teacher gift cards that I received as end of the year presents. Good luck in the new school year. ;)

29. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 7, 2005

I spend very, very little for my classroom...lets say maybe 150$ a year including things like school spirit shirts. It is probably less than that.

If there is a curriculum-related item I need I will ask, ask, ask my principal until I get it. But I don't ask for much of anything.

Its my 4th year.

My first year I probably spent 200$ at the beginning and less than 100 throughout the year.

We get about 100$ to spend from the school at a teacher supply store in Aug/September.

A lot of items came from garage sales and donations when I first started.

I teach in a poor area and we have an organization that collects donations for classrooms so once a month I get to go and fill a basket with donated items like pens, small prizes, notebooks, puzzles. It is WONDERFUL!!

I make my own posters and am very creative when it comes to saving money. I found out the school cafeteria can supply items like flour and salt for salt dough maps if you request in enough time, I save a lot of stuff, and ask for parental donations. The parents here are happy to bring in needed items if they can buy them with their food stamps so it is good way to get them involved. When we had a classroom contest within the school I really motivated my students to win the contest and we used the 30$ prize for end of the year pizzas.

THis year I have spent money on glue sticks.

I do wish I had spare money to spend on some nice items. If so, I would buy more books, a lamp, a carpet pad to cushion the free rug I got, and fun organizing containers. I love containers!! :)

Alicia :)

30. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Aug 9, 2005

Our classroom budget is $300 this year. I already ordered materials. I have spent around $200 so far. I do have a wish list that I will send out for parents. I teach in a private montessori school. I am being on the lazy side this year. I made some big "works" for the classroom this summer. Truthfully, by the time I buy the materials to make the work, I can usually purchase it for a little bit more.