How much do you spend on classroom supplies?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by linswin23, Jul 9, 2012.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 9, 2012

Getting ready for each new school year how much do you spend? Also, are you secondary/elementary because I believe that this probably affects the amount spent.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2012

Elementary. And I have spent anywhere from $50-500 of my own money, depending on the year.

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

Elementary. I spent a lot last year starting up my first classroom. Definitely about $300 before school even started. But that's just borders, posters, a calendar, etc. etc. stuff from Lakeshore. That doesn't begin to include money spent for a pizza party, bagel party, prizes, Scholastic books, my own office supplies, pencils, crayons, etc. The little stuff. I definitely spent a lot but I live at home, have very few bills to pay and I can afford it right now. I'm going to try to be a little more conscious of what I spend this year. But I'm sure it will be significantly less because I have so much from last year. The hardest will be keeping myself from buying more books.

5. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for sharing--I am a 7th grade teacher. I was thinking today that elementary teachers must spend a lot more than I do--you guys have such awesome stuff, but DANG you guys have to pay for it. Hats off to you!

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

In the past I've probably spent upwards of $100, but now I have all my posters, etc., so it's a lot less now. This year I need 45 new notebooks for topic journals, so that will be my biggest expense. Hoping to find them cheap!

7. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 9, 2012

I agree with you--books are what sucker me in. I teach Reading.

8. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 9, 2012

Elementary. I've spent about $100 this year, I was buying stuff for centers, etc.

9. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 9, 2012

I am Elementary, and I generally spend around $100-200 before school, but I do it over the course of a few months so it doesn't seem like as much. I am constantly buying little things though that I want for my classroom, and it all adds up. I'd say over a year, I spend $500-600 on misc. things for my room, but mostly books.

10. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 9, 2012

I teach elementary, and I get reimbursed for a total of $150/year by my school and the PTO. Usually I spend about $30-50 above that. On principle, I try to spend as little as I can of my own money, but at the same time, I will buy what I need or what will really be useful to me. Going into my fifth year teaching, I will mainly be buying school supplies this year (low SES school) as well as materials for weekly hands-on science activities.

11. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 9, 2012

For this school year coming up I have already spent close to $100.00.

12. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 9, 2012

So far this year I have used $40.00 of my own money. I am hoping not to spend much more of my own funds. I have a small amount left at school for school stuff. I REALLY want some frog posters I found in my TREND catalog this week. I also need some new calendar math stuff. Other than that I am pretty much set for the beginning of the year. I just have to get the classroom all put together. fun fun!

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2012

My first year I spent a lot of my own money. Last year I probably spent less than 100. Books are my weakness as well- I am always picking them up yard sales or discount stores, even though I have PLENTY for a good sized classroom library. Over spring break in my hometown I went to a discount store with my friend and literally got 2 full bags of books- of course they would not fit back on the plane with me! I had 30 pounds worth of just books! She kept them in her closet for me and when I visted earlier this summer I had to bring a virtually empty extra suitcase just for the books. I made her promise to not let me buy anymore!

14. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

I'm an elementary school teacher and so far I've probably spent round $200-$250 for this upcoming school year and need to still buy some more items (crayons, scissors, etc.).

15. Mr. Radiohead

Mr. Radiohead Rookie

Jul 10, 2012

Wow you guys are really good with stretching your money. I'm heading into my second year. Last school year I had to buy a ton of stuff- I was walking into a "brand new" 5th grade classroom- the school grew and needed a third 5th grade for the first time.

I was budgeted $1000.00 to start off the year, the school then had a fund raiser in November which I netted another 300 bucks for my class budget. I spent it all and then some. This included crates, folders (for students and myself), binders, books (lots and lots of books to build my library), bookcases, two nice rolling chairs, posters, bulletin board paper and borders, lesson supplements (like Novel-Ties), art supplies, construction paper, pencils, electric pencil sharpeners......etc you get the idea, I'm sure.

My district has been nice enough to give me another $600.00 to start off my second year-

I have spent about $420.00 this summer for next school year-

1. $80.00 for 3 more bookcases
    2. $40.00 for 40 book bins (actually organizing my library this year.)
    3. $60.00 for lesson supplements (novel-ties and practice pages for math/ELA)
    4. $80.00 for classroom decorations (borders, accents, and bulletin board paper)

That's $260.00 bucks right there- but they are all one time expenses that I hopefully won't have again for a long time.

The other $160.00 is for folders, composition books, another electric pencil sharpener since my first one died :)mad:) and smaller items like markers, pencils, and crayons that I will probably pay for yearly.

Easily over 2 grand for the first two years to get my class going. But hopefully I can maintain it starting next year at around 200 bucks a year which will be reimbursed. Here is to wishful thinking.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 10, 2012

:eek::eek::eek:A district in CA that gave you $1300 and then $600?!?!?! I have never heard of such a thing, even before the budget cuts, but especially not after!! Wow. Must be a high income area...

I'm a first year teacher (teaching year round school), and I spent over $600 this summer. Probably close to half of that was on books. I hadn't been collecting books because I wasn't sure what grade I'd be teaching.

Elementary and secondary are DEFINITELY very different in terms of people's general spending, I'd say...you just don't need as much stuff for secondary!

17. Mr. Radiohead

Mr. Radiohead Rookie

Jul 10, 2012

Believe me, I know I'm lucky.

We are a moderate poverty district, Central CA, definitely not swanky. We have a pretty diverse group of kids.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

Last year was around $1,000 because I bought one larger item and of course lots and lots of "regular" items.

19. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2012

I've already spent probably $200-400 for next year. I'll be teaching elementary music.

20. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 10, 2012

Secondary. First 'real' year teaching I spent close to $1000. I was teaching a subject that was new to the school and had to buy my own supplies/materials. The school was very bare-bones. I had to buy my own trash cans, classroom clock, textbooks to meet 504 requirements @@, and copy paper.

I could have stood my ground but I did want to get invited back the next year so I didn't buck the system too much.

However, I vowed I'd never go over $250 again. That's my limit because that's what Uncle Sam gives me each year. This year I expect I'll spend $50

21. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2012

Not too much...but I always shop the super sales which often means going to the store weekly in the summer.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2012

I spent my $300 school supplied budget. The P is getting my grade level new carpets. I don't need much, but I might pick up a few things at the Dollar Store, but I won't spend much.

23. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

Hmmm . . . I'm secondary and I've probably spent about $50 dollars for the coming year. Most of what I buy are wants rather than needs. I could get by with what I have in my classroom.

24. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 10, 2012

I teach middle school and high school.

I have spent about 100-125. But I bought a bookshelf and a lot of organization stuff. I'm getting all my materials organized in binders and the big binders aren't cheap.

Not included in this total is the books I've bought this summer. I read them so they really aren't an additional expense. I've spent the last two weeks reading nothing but YA stuff.

25. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 10, 2012

I was at Costco yesterday and I was buying construction paper and glue sticks--the man behind me was this older man who was super cute and asked me if I was a teacher. I told him I was and he said he was on the school board and that he needed to raise money and give it to me. It was such a nice thing to say, but once I left the store I was kind of depressed. Here I am, 24 years old, just married, trying to stay on a strict budget so my husband and I can pursue our dreams of traveling and getting our Master's degrees and my budget is being stretched super thin because I am having to buy necessary supplies for my classroom. Honestly, I love it--I love buying all this stuff, but it would be so nice if we could just have our things paid for.

I just hear so many people rant for us about how we NEED to have our supplies paid for, but I don't really see that happening anywhere. Yes, there are things like Donorschoose, but I have YET to have any of my projects funded.

(sorry--rant :|)

26. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 10, 2012

I have spent about $100 so far and I don't even have access to my classroom yet!

I have mostly spent that on laminating, a few resource books, and bulletin board supplies.

In the past when I had schools reimburse me I had to give the stuff back when I left, so I prefer to not ask for reimbursement if it is something I plan on keeping.

Right now I am kicking myself in the but because 2 years ago I got rid of all my 2nd grade books (I had been in preschool for 4 years and didnt plan on leaving anytime soon) Now I am back in 2nd and I have just a few books at the 2nd grade level :(

27. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

I teach in a 3rd grade Inclusion classroom...

In the past, all the teachers in my school would get $150 to spend on classroom materials. Since I teach in an Inclusion classroom, the regular education and special education teachers were able to spend $150 each.

This year, my principal told us that each us that if you teach in an Inclusion classroom, you will only have $150 to spend for the classroom. So basically, our classroom budget was cut in half. My co-teacher and I would order what we each needed for the classroom or students.

Each year, I spend about $250 of my own money beyond the $150 that I would get. I am really trying not to buy too much this year since I was not given any money for classroom supplies.

So far, I spent about $20 for next year...

28. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2012

I teach elementary in a very low ses urban neighborhood school. That being said, I categorize things differently in my head than others have:
    1. Furniture - Two years ago I purchased 2 identical rolling "secretary" chairs for my own use in the classroom (one in front and one at my teacher table) for around $100 each, a rolling computer desk (so I don't have to use the big bulky teacher desk) from Walmart for about $40
    2. Rugs - I need to purchase new rugs - I don't have room for a large on in the front, so I usually have 2 - one in front & one in back for small group work- I don't know yet how much they will cost,
    3. Paint/tape/brushes, etc. - about $50 - last year I painted my lockers black (they look fantastic!), and this year I plan to paint my horrible built-in cabinets black as well
    4. Supplies - paper, pencils, crayons, glue, glue sticks, marker, scissors, rulers, 2-pocket folders, composition books, binders, anything for kid use) - probably about $100
    5. "Teacher supplies" - staples, tape, liquid paper, personal pens, file folders, etc., etc., etc., - probably around $50

I was given some rolling wooden furniture - 1 bookcase, 1 "cubby", and 1 "cubby" with "mail slots," so I haven't had to buy those. If I don't paint my cabinets, I will purchase fabric and make curtains to hide them since they don't have doors :unsure:.

I don't include books (either professional or classroom library) supplies, because I would probably buy them anyway (I have 2 grandchildren and another on the way ;) ).

Also, like another poster stated, if the school buys it, (1) it is their property and (2) I am limited to their options (color, quality, etc.), so I'd just prefer to get them myself.

Re: tax write-offs - according to my tax professional - many items above and beyond the $250 can be claimed as unreimbursed business expenses!

29. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

My school provides me with an excellent budget so I buy very little for my room. If I spend $25 that's alot and in most cases I can turn it into the secretary and get reimbursed.

30. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 10, 2012

I'm glad to hear that a lot of you have a budget provided by your school. I'm at a charter and we don't have this. I'm sure when we can we will have the same type of deal.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

I think I'm going to be under $20 for this year. I spent a lot more when I was just starting out. And some years I still spend more than others.

I only buy what I consider "comfort items". They're things I don't have to have, but things that make my life easier. Last year I bought a nice office chair.

I always ask the school to buy other classroom supplies.

32. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 10, 2012

This year, less than ever. There was some money from a grant that we were able to use in the LA dept. so we each received a box of manilla folders, two tubs of highlighters, paper clips, and something else - it escapes my mind at the moment. We were also able to order a bare minimum of supplies (really were told to put in a wish list that was no more than $25) and I asked for some lined post it notes, whiteboard cleaner and Expo chisel tip markers.

I am going to buy a couple of reams bright paper (hopefully on sale) and glue sticks (24 for $10 at Costco - better than I can do at the dollar store), and some composition books for an idea I stole from Write Beside Them by Penny Kittle. This is the least I've ever purchased.

33. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2012

I'm planning on about $50 this year. I'm going to buy 3 sets of headphones for a reading program, pencils, and some silly looking flowers to tie to ends of the pencils so they stay in my room.

34. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 10, 2012

When I turn in my receipts to my tax lady every year, they usually total between $400-$600.

My first year, though, I spent about $900 (I bought a ton of books).