How much do you make a day for subbing?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mrs.Bran, Apr 3, 2007.

1. weno88

weno88 Companion

Apr 16, 2007

If I remember correctly:
    HS diploma: $50
    Bachelor's: $63

Retired teachers who substitute make more per day, but I don't remember what that number was.

2. ryman

ryman Rookie

Apr 18, 2007

I have Bachelor's Degree and just Emergency Credential. I get $110 per day.

3. RedFenix

RedFenix New Member

Apr 22, 2007

Los Angeles Unified School District pays $173/day. Not too shabby, but some of the schools will make you earn every penny.

They also have an incentive rate of $225/day if you work at a rough school.

4. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Apr 22, 2007

To GardenDove,
    You are absolutely right. Subs should be fairly compensated right along with the permanent certificated teachers. We are doing their job when they are not available. My district just gave the permanent teachers a 10% pay hike. Subs got a $5/day raise 6 years ago. Subs have no one to fight for a pay hike for them. I'm subbing to gain classroom experience while I'm in the credential program. I'm serious about teaching and one day making my mark in this marvelous profession. But seriously, subs should be more respected with higher compensation. We are doing the district and permanent teachers a HUGE favor by accepting that last-minute early morning phone call request for a warm body. Anyone who says the money is not an issue or it's not important is not being honest. Everyone wants to be respectully compensated for their work.
    I don't know about the rest of you but when I sub I am required to follow the lesson plans left by the teacher as well as, in the event there are no plans left for me (just happened recently on a 3-day assignment), I must have lessons or fill-in activities along with me. If I do not follow the plans or am not prepared, I will not be requested again or called very often. I sub in a small district (5 Schools) and if you are a sub that doesn't follow plans, is ill-prepared, or doesn't have much patience with kids, you won't get too many calls...if any.
    I sub all grade levels throughout my district and I come across other subs periodically in the lunchroom. I see more subs that should find another way to make money. If you don't like kids, their noise, and all the "stuff" that comes with them...don't sub!

5. essence1974

essence1974 New Member

Apr 22, 2007

compton, ca $145, long term $160 (20 consecutive days)

6. username

username Rookie

Apr 24, 2007

$85, they bump it up to 95 if you work 10 straight days for the same teacher

7. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Apr 26, 2007

We're kind of doing their job. We're NOT doing it entirely. We don't typically grade papers and we certainly don't do report cards, parent teacher conferences, and the like. When you stop to think of it we probably don't even do half of what they do. We just teach the lessons, collect stuff, and show videos. That's about the extent of what we do as subs. So given that, I don't believe we should be fairly compensated right along with the regular teachers.

One also has to realize that many subs are people like me who've never been through an actual certification program. We didn't take the classroom management classes, the classes that tecah us how to write lesson plans, or the classes that ultimately lead to in the field work as a student teacher. So given that too, I don't believe we should be fairly compensated right along with the regular teachers.

8. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Apr 26, 2007

Maybe districts need to have different pay scales for the differently "qualified" Subs. First there are those subs with no teaching education, then those that are in a teacher prep program, and then those that are fully credentialed. I don't feel I should be paid as much as someone fully credentialed (yet!) but I do feel I should be paid more than someone with no teaching education (I've completed all the classes and will student teach next Fall). I ALWAYS have grade-level appropriate lesson plans in my sub bag in the event of no lesson plans available. I can't stand to just "pop in a movie". A movie doesn't last all day anyway. And I do grade spelling/math assignments and tests so that the teacher doesn't return to a stack of work. They really appreciate that. All they have to do is log the grade in their gradebook.
    And if you are in a long-term sub position I feel you should be fairly compensated because in that position your ARE doing grading, report cards, etc. Most long-term subs make only an additional $20-$30/day.

9. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Apr 26, 2007

THEY DO!!! Many pay their subs with Bachelor's degree holders less than the ones who hold Master's degrees.

In fact, TX has it all broken don to a tee as to how much who gets what if you look at their sub pay scale.

That's because they have to look at how much they're paying regular teachers per day, per hour and they must take into consideration the fact that the subs are non-contracted unlike the regular teachers.

You technically can't pay a sub the same amount per day, per hour you pay a contracted individual who's with you permanently. Districts would go bankrupt if they did.

10. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Apr 26, 2007

Maybe districts need to have different pay scales for the differently "qualified" Subs.

THEY DO!!! Many pay their subs with Bachelor's degree holders less than the ones who hold Master's degrees.

In fact, TX has it all broken don to a tee as to how much who gets what if you look at their sub pay scale.

I don't think its the same across the states. Northern CA doesnt have it broken down. All subs make the same amount whether you have the minimum reqs (BA and CBEST) or you are fully credentialed. Part of it might be that many districts up here have a severe sub shortage.

Then in Oregon, you can't even sub unless you are fully credentialed and you really don't get called that often. I was considering doing it this next year while living at home (onbly because I dunno if my app will be processed in time)..chances of me getting called a lot are pretty low though. Here I'm with two districts and i pretty much only sub with one district b./c i get called every day. (exception is now b.c of state testing)

11. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Apr 27, 2007

Here in the San Diego Unified school district they do not have pay based on experience. But they do break it down by the following:

San Diego unified pays $122.05 per day for day to day.
    If you are long term then you get $136.40
    community based $114.88
    master $159.39
    Childcare center $104.82

If you Sub in the Catholic diocese you get paid a different amount at each school based on the school budget.

There are many districts here and the pay ranges from $80 day to $122 a day for a regular sub.

12. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

I am in Southern CA and through checking I found that no districts break down sub pay. The daily rate (within ea. district) is the same whether you are credentialed, have some teacher ed. classes, or none of the above. We are all paid the same.
    The rate of pay for subs is a DEAL compared to contracted teachers and the district I work in is about the CHEAPEST in CA.

13. roberts3206

roberts3206 Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

That's because in CA, the minimum requirements for being a sub are pretty regulated by the State Commission. Bachelor's and passing the CBEST is required.

Here in Northeast Sacramento County (and crossing over into western Placer County), we get $125/day, $75 for a half day.

14. Springdruidess

Springdruidess Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

Another Canadian weighing in... :)

I'm at $175.50/day for assignments that are less than 7 days in length (I think its 7, might be different). Any contracts longer than 7 days and subs are paid at the salary scale of full-time teachers. Pretty decent deal.

15. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

In my area we only make between $80 and $85 per day it is not much, $105 is great. I look at it as a short term so I am good with it, it is a foot in the door and that is all I care. You won't be subbing long look at it as training grounds while you get paid, it sounds good to me.;)

16. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Apr 30, 2007

my school district pays 50 dollars a day.

17. DisneyTeacher

DisneyTeacher Rookie

May 2, 2007

Wow, some of these districts are really generous! I have a Master's degree, but it doesn't matter. I'm still just getting Certified sub pay at $84 per day.

18. kgem98

kgem98 Rookie

May 7, 2007

I guess I should be thankful we get $120 day/ $66 half day here. Oh my goodness. I wouldn't survive on the pay elsewhere!

19. missannierella

missannierella Rookie

May 24, 2007

I am completely amazed at what other subs are making!!

In both districts I used to work in, you make $115/day subbing. After 20 days (non-consecutive), a $200 bonus is earned.

On top of that, if you are a long-term sub (more than 20 consecutive days in the same position) you are transferred to teacher's salary; approx. $175-200/day depending on if you have a Master's. This pay is retroactive to day 1 of your teaching assignment (so you end up with a paycheck that has $1000 added on) AND you still get your $200 bonus.

Get this... we still have a sub shortage!! Tomorrow alone, there are over 65 positions in the district that have not yet been filled.

Anyone want to move to Seattle? The move almost pays for itsself...

20. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 27, 2007

When I subbed it was 50 per day and 55 per day with teaching credtials.

21. DramaQueen!!

DramaQueen!! Rookie

May 28, 2007

IN Minnesota, you have to have a state license to sub and so far for short term subbing I have seen the range from 100.00-133.00 per day depending on the district. For long term, depending on where you are and what you will be teaching its around 200.00 a day

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 29, 2007

I get $80 a day. You start at $75 and when you reach 65 days subbed, you get $80. If it is long-term, it is more. It doesn't matter if you are certified or not, but a sub has to have 90 college credit hours to sub.

23. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Jun 9, 2007

In my area you can get anywhere from $80 to $106 a day for subbing.

24. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 9, 2007

missannierella-

Actually, I'd think about Seattle.

I don't have a position for next year and honestly, I can't afford to sub another year. The cost of living is too high to live off a sub salary. I WANT To teach, but refuse to do secondary I didnt like it.

I looked into transferring my cred to WA (My parents are in Oregon) but it is just nort worth it as your first license they only honor what the university recommends (not any added Auths like me) and only after you get your residence cert can you add on the auth through an endorsement program.

So for me, becoming certified to be a full-time teacher in WA is not worth it as I already have a Multiple Subject that I got through a supplemental and never want to teach the secondary level again. (I rather NOT teach than teach at the secondary level)

However, what about subbing? Do you have to jump through all those hoops for that as well? In CA, you only need CBEST & BA (tests for long term)

Seattle is closer to home, have people I can stay with, and the cost of living is lower than here, at least enough for me to be able to do another year of subbing.

25. lovelylbb99

lovelylbb99 Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

Re:

Without a Degree I got $67 per day for regular classes and $83 per day for special Education/ESE classes, but if I don't have a job and start subbing again I have a Bachelor degree and I would get $97 per day for regular classes and 100 something for special educaiton/ESE classes.

26. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

Here in NYC subs make $147.50 a day and after a certain amount of days the per diem rate goes up. I also hear that there's a new contract going through and by May 2008 per diem subs should make $158.

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2007

.... and those NYC subs deserve every penny and then some.

28. DramaQueen!!

DramaQueen!! Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

And what is the cost of living in NYC?? Does it really cover what they deserve??

29. cookierac

cookierac New Member

Jul 2, 2007

How often are Subs called?

I am new to this whole teaching thing and was just wondering how often do you get called to be a substitute? I am wondering if I would need to get a second job or not when I finish my student teaching or if Subbing would be enough?

30. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jul 2, 2007

Depends on the district really.

You don't make a whole lot subbing even if working daily, to be honest.

31. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

Here in Cowtown (Fort Worth), I think non-degreed subs (you need 90 college hours) get $88 per day. Degreed/certified subs get, maybe, $95. (Our teacher association is going to request a sub pay raise, which is overdue!) And if you lived here, you would probably get called just about every day. We have a sub shortage, particularly on Mondays, Fridays and whenever the "crud" is going around.

It is VERY common to not have a sub respond to a posting, so the other teachers at that grade level have to split up the class of the teacher who isn't there. And believe me, $4 per kid per day (what we get when we get extra students) is not worth having your teaching disrupted with unplanned extras. So COME! SUB! :)

32. DramaQueen!!

DramaQueen!! Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

It depends on District yes, but when you are starting out it also depends on what system they use and if you have any connections. I know that Even though I have just started subbing- I get the most jobs from the school I student taught in. The teachers know that I am looking and so far they seem to think that I am good at it and they trust me. The High school across the street doesn't contact me to sub- I have to look at AESOP to find jobs there. Not becasue they don't appreicate/liek me, but because they don't know me yet.
    Find a teacher or two that you have an agreement with of sorts. I think most would appreciate having someone who knows their classes/curriculum and contact them when they know they are going to be gone versus taking a chance at a "dumbass" as one of my cooeprating teachers put it.

33. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

over a hundred a day to sub....I WISH!!! At the district I sub for, we make $75 per day...if you work in a long term (45 days of more) then there is some of a pay raise. We too use AESOP which I LOVE!!! I am very rarely called in the morning...I schedule most of my days in advance and have even found ways of beating the system in order to snag days for teachers who ask me to come in for them! I student taught at this school and have gotten to know MANY teachers...I lucked out and worked an awful lot, but I also know subs on our lists that don't work hardly at all...but then again none of the teachers know them

34. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 12, 2007

When I was a sub here in Kansas, I got paid $120/day.

35. aksunshine

aksunshine Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

In Southern IN- $50/ day. Man I wish I could make $75 or more!

36. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 13, 2007

I just got my substitute teaching contract from one of the school districts in this area. They are paying $90/day for the first fifty days. Then it goes up to $115/day.
    After a substitute has worked in the district for 75 days, substitutes get $1000 as a "longevity incentive stipend"!

37. IowaLA

IowaLA Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I am located in SW IA where I got paid $97.50 a day (pretty good considering area). Also, if you make more than $300/quarter you are eligible for the school to contribute to IPERS (a retirement plan for all state and school employees). Not sure what a long term sub makes, as I never long term subbed.

As far as how often I got called to sub--I could have worked everyday if I was able to. They are really short of subs in the area. I loved subbing. It was a pretty good part-time job. It also helped me get my foot at the door and starting this school year, I will be a full-time teacher!

38. soshootme

soshootme Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

As a sub in San Diego, California, I make $23 per hour of the sub job, but if one works 5-6 hours one only makes still $115. (5 hours work).

39. kimberly121

kimberly121 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Not so in the school district I live in here in California. Subs have to be fully credentialled.

40. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Sub Pay

I get $114 a day (longterm subs get the same as full time teachers- $136 a day). That's for a sub with no prior experience and a BA. I'm in West Virginia. I believe we get a raise this year, though.