How much do you bring home?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Bella2010, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 9, 2011

After taxes and insurance. I bring home $1832.30 after everything's said and done. Just curious about everybody else.

Beth

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2011

After taxes and all that lovely stuff, including good cancer insurance and disability insurance, I net just over $3,100 a month. If I do something extra such as tutoring (which I try to avoid ;)) that would obviously be a little extra.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

I bring home just over $2600/month.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 9, 2011

I don't want to say my exact salary, but I'll just say that taxes, insurance, and retirement takes over $1,000 dollars per month out, leaving me with the rest for "take home."

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 9, 2011

Mine is a lot more than everyone's here. My mortgage is $1700/month and my car payment is $560/month. I have enough to pay my monthly bills but have very little left over for savings.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2011

It's about $900-$1000 USD monthly. My rent is about $285 USD (more or less), and my loan payments are about $380 USD. I have very little left over after bills, but of course we have DH's salary which helps.

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 9, 2011

Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate it. Like I posted a couple of weeks ago, I'm really contemplating this being my last year of teaching. I'd be lying if I said part of it wasn't financial. Summers off with my little boy are/would be awesome, and giving that up would make me sad. I'm getting teary-eyed right now just thinking about it. :( But, I'd also like to send him to college and be able to put more back in retirement so that we would never be a burden to him.

Beth

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2011

Beth, what would you do if you left the profession?

10. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 9, 2011

I have absolutely no idea. Career options here are kind of limited - small town. I want a career, not just a job. As far as careers go, there are basically the hospital and banks. I don't have the money, or the desire, to return to school. I don't know that banking really fits my personality, unless I had my own office in the back somewhere. The hospital has a lot of clerical type jobs, like patient accounts, insurance accounts, etc. I am a creative person and would love to do something along those lines, but I need to make no less than I am now. I have absolutely no idea, not even a lead somewhere. Whatsoever, none. :confused: :(

Beth

11. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Oct 9, 2011

Is it possible for you to go into administration? Or possibly to cut back elsewhere so that what you make is enough? Or perhaps even to get a job in another county/teach virtually/teach at a local community college to supplement your income?

12. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 9, 2011

BF and I are not teachers. BF is a librarian at a university and he brings home about $2,300 or $2,400 after everything per month. I just got a job as a residential counselor and I'll be bringing home about $1,400 a month after taxes... a little less if I sign up for medical benefits as well.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 9, 2011

I know at our local community college, teachers can make a lot of money (in comparison to k-12 teaching) even just doing supplemental teaching. I second the suggestion that you should look into that. I have a friend that teaches at the local community college 6 hours a week and with that 6 hours, she literally makes the same monthly salary as she does from her full time 3rd grade job (so by doing both, she gets double).

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 9, 2011

After 20 years and a master's degree, I bring home about $3,200 a month. I'm a single mom, so my salary has to cover most everything. (I get $400 a month for child support.)

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

These amounts astound me.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2011

Low? For around here, I couldn't do better without putting in seventy hours a week at a factory.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

Yes, low.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2011

It's so interesting to learn what others make in the same profession. I'd like to earn more, and I feel I earn more, but at the same time I'm generally satisfied all things considered.

I have received higher education while my father hasn't, but he works much harder than I do, so it's crazy to think that I earn more than his entire year's salary in just a few months. That keeps me appreciative, anyway. :)

19. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2011

On an average day I bring home 12 year old Dewars........ On a good day I bring home some really old, old Glenfiddich....... When I've been bad I also bring home a dozen roses........:p:p

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 9, 2011

It is way lower than what we make here in Canada, but I know houses (and mortgages) in some areas of the states are almost $200,000 less then in Canada. I make more than Bandnerd without a masters and with less teaching years (I have 5 years of education).

21. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Oct 9, 2011

I bring home just under $3000 a month, with 11 years experience and a master's degree.

22. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2011

I bring home $2100 biweekly so $4200 a month with ten years in and a masters after everything's taken out. I know it's a good salary. Not complaining at all. I spend foolishly though. I've just added more to my IRA amount so I can enjoy a decent life when I retire.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2011

I think mine is too low for where I live (Hawaii). I actually plan on talking to someone in financial soon-I make $13,000 more a year here than in Idaho (and don't take medical benefits), but yet I'm only making about $200 more a month than I did in Idaho.

I take home about $1100 every two weeks, so $2200 a month. It's my fifth year teaching and I have a Master's degree (but I don't get paid for it because it's in administration).

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

I guess I should add this is my 4th year teaching and I have a master's degree.

25. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Oct 9, 2011

What about adding income in the summer? It could be a job in teaching or something else. Our Adult School offers enrichment classes that students can take during the summer. The teachers present ideas and then get paid their hourly rate. The classes are fun like art, creative writing, music/dance or computers. Some of our teachers also tutor during the summer. The rate here for tutoring can be from $30 (reading) -50(advanced math) dollars. I do live in the SF Bay Area and my salary will make you sick. I have been teaching 20 years and take home $5,000 dollars after my deductions of $3,200 monthly. Please keep in mind houses cost over $600,00 (average nice home in nice community) and our gas prices are some of the highest in the country.

26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 9, 2011

I take home a little over $3,800/month (seventh year teaching and I haven't finished my Master's Degree yet).

Keep in mind, though--this is CA and the cost of living isn't cheap.

27. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Oct 9, 2011

I can't really say monthly, since the amounts can be different, but I made around 70k last year. Of course, that includes my school salary, in home jobs I worked over the summer, and a few in home jobs I took after the school day was over.

Unfortunately, living in Boston it all goes so fast. Luckily I make enough to support myself and a little bit extra.

Another poster mentioned working at a CC... does that pay well? A friend of mine was once a course instructor and he said he got paid one lump sum for an entire semester, and it wasn't very much. However, it couldn't be a bad alternative if someone wanted to pick up some extra cash.

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2011

My present take home (retirement+SSD) is 91% of what I took home teaching

If it wasn't for divorces, I'd have retirement that is 114% of my take as a teacher :dizzy: women can't live with them and can't save any money after them :woot:

29. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 10, 2011

Bella, what about doing child care over the summer to supplement your income? That way you could still have time with your son. To me, having the summer with my kids was worth it, and now they are out of the house, I don't miss those $$ that I could've made in another job. Just a thought.

30. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Oct 10, 2011

After taxes and insurance (mini-family plan, husband and myself) I bring home around $2700. This is my 5th year teaching. I am at a BA +15 pay scale (bachelors plus 15 credits towards masters.)
    We finally got a raise, but I just got married so my pay didn't really go up much since I added my spouse to my benefits. (it would be around $2900 if I hadn't added him to my health plan)

We have been on a pay freeze the past few years so I think my pay is extremely low for the area I live in. (close to DC)
    Luckily my pay is extra and goes directly into savings anyways.
    Our mortgage is more than I make :(

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2011

When I was teaching full time, I was bringing in around 3,000 a month aftet taxes and everything was taken out. That was with no masters and new to teaching. I was also living in an area with low cost of living.

Now I work as a tutor/part time homeschool teacher. Hubby's job takes care of everything, so my income is just icing on the cake. I'm bringing home around 1 grand.

32. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 10, 2011

I take home about 54% of my gross income, and that bewilders me!