How much do u give?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by msmullenjr, Jul 21, 2009.

1. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 21, 2009

The kids had 20 minutes or less Monday through Thursday. Some kids would finish in five, but my slow workers or kids with attention span problems would probably have to work the entire twenty minutes.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

What does the 20 minutes consist of?

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2009

I am pretty much consistent with the philosophy. Even with weekly homework this coming year, my students will have 30 minutes of silent reading a night and about 10-15 minutes of math skill review.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 21, 2009

I give homework in Kinder. I work in a very low-income area - these kids don't have resources at home to practice with. They get 2 worksheets, one reading, one math and they are in a format the kids can do themselves. I don't think it hurts to get in the habit of sitting down for 10 minutes a night and doing homework.

7. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

I agree with this. Kids should be reading at home. I also like to give a little math homework so parents know what the kids are learning and if the children are having trouble with something. If I give any science or social studies homework then it counts toward their 30 minutes of reading. I've actually had parents told me that it should be in addition to the reading. Of course, I've had parents who don't care if their kids do homework at all and one who forbade me from giving her child consequences for not doing it. You can't please everyone!

8. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

This year I will only be teaching reading & writing so the hw will be to read every night (of course), but they will also have a brief writing assignment based on what they read each night. Examples of writing assignments are: list the important events that happened during your reading, write a summary about what you read tonight, write down examples of figurative language, what are some similarities between you and the main character, etc. The reading will take 30 minutes, but the writing shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

Did you give consequences anyway? Just curious.

10. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Just a zero for homework when he didn't do it 10% of the grade. She didn't seem to care about that but didn't want me to make him do at school. He was one who really needed all the practice he could get. I didn't think he'd pass the state test but he ended up passing it.

11. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I give about between 15-20 minutes of homework a night. I also have students read a book to take an AR test every morning if my students are still reading picture books. I have noticed that many of you have required reading logs. I am thinking about using a reading log next year.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

I use 20 min per day of reading at home. They record it on a Reading Log and turn it in once a week. I've found that it doesn't do much in as far as motivation for kids who don't read. They simply write something down and get it initialed. I think I need to start requiring a writing assignment to go along with it but I don't want to have to read all that! Is there a way to make the nightly reading count without giving the teacher EXTRA work?

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

I teach high school, though the grade varies from one year to the next.

I make a big deal of my "twenty minute rule."

If, at the end of 20 minutes of real homework (no texting, no emails, no snack breaks) you haven't finished your math homework, you can stop.

If you're the only one, you need extra help ASAP.

If no one was able to finish, it's my fault. Either I overestimated their speed, or I need to re-teach the lesson or I simply gave too much.