How Much Do New 1st Grade Teachers Spend?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Falconeddie1970, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Falconeddie1970

Falconeddie1970 Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

Having only taught kindergarten at a private school seven years ago, I have no idea what public schools provides in terms of furniture, books for a classroom library, plastic tubs and other organizers?

I was hired to be a 1st grade teacher at a public school, and I read online (from a teacher), that it is better to not buy anything in advance, and to wait until you are finally allowed into your new classroom. What makes me nervous is the thought of there being no books for a classroom library, or things I need to build centers with, etc. I'm used to how public schools operate, where they give you $75 for a classroom budget, then I go out and spend $400 to make the room decent. However, this year, I don't have an extra $400 to spend. That troubles me, because I now fear my room will be depleted looking until I start getting paid in September.

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Aug 5, 2015

There's no way to give you a price range, its all about what you need vs. Want.
    It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and start collecting books, but they can be used. Decorative stuff isn't necessary, so if you cant afford it-hold off.
    I'm sure you'll be able to get into the class before the first day to assess the furniture stuff. I'm going in today to have a peek at mine, actually.

4. Sunskyteach

Sunskyteach Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

Where I was at I was given a small stipend from the pta but that was it. Everything else was your responsibility. I would recommend building your classroom library and if needed use the public library. My first year teaching I was hired for a position in a grade level I wasn't expecting after school had already started. I really didn't have many materials and had to do that until I was paid and could spend my own money to start slowly building it. I would also say to check out your local dollar store as you can find bins and many other items you wouldn't expect for cheap prices!

5. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 5, 2015

library books

I would probably only spend on library books now.

I went to Goodwill and used bookstores to get mine and children's books were usually a $1 a book.

I would look at your curriculum before you spend any money on centers or games because your districts may have specific ways to teach certain things. You might want to talk to the other teachers about centers and maybe they can share no-cost ideas with you.

I would wait, wait... I spent hundreds and I wish I would have waited. Library books never went to waste it seemed :).

6. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Nov 1, 2015

I posted this on another thread, but just yesterday I went to my library's book sale and they had children's books for a quarter each. They're a bit worn, and some of them look like they were part of someone else's classroom library at some point, but kids don't care about that.