How much did you/would you spend....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Schuyler, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

on setting up your first classroom? I have seen my classroom and know that I need to get a sense of what will be left in the classroom. However, I've already started buying books and games. I know that I could really spend a lot on books as I want to have a very robust library. I've also spent a lot on resource books for me so far. I was just wondering how much you spend your first year, and what is a reasonable amount to spend (out of your own pocket). TIA!

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2007

I could probably honestly say that over the course of the year I spent between $700 and $800 on my classroom. Uf that's hard to look at written out! But, it's true. There were things that we needed that were not provided, and I felt that it wasn't that big of a deal for me to provide them. But in the end, it all added up! I think I need to set a budget for myself this year.

4. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Jun 10, 2007

I am setting up my first classroom too this year, and I have spent too much, so far probably $500, but I am still not done buying, I still need a few more things. I figure though, once I have the basics, next year won't be as expensive (I hope). As a first year teacher you really don't have anything! Books and games are my biggest expence, but also, number lines, calendar stuff, alphabets, posters for the different themes, and all the stuff that makes your learning environment more fun and educational.

5. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Jun 10, 2007

My husband kept track of what I spent last year...2nd year teaching 1st year at a new school and new grade and I spent close to $750. This year I won't spend anywhere near that...because I now I have the basic things I need. This summer I will only spend the classroom funds that the school has provided..which is $250. I didn't get that last year because I was a new to the school...the teacher before me got it.

6. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

I had my own classroom for the 1st time this past year and I can tell you that I spent a lot of money! You get things set up and then you think you're done, but there are always things you are spending money on. I'm sure I spent over $750 at least. Now...I'm back in the job hunt again, so if I don't get a 4th grade position...I'm sure I'll spend some more. It's worth every penny though!

7. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 10, 2007

I am lucky enough to work at a teacher supply store in town, and get a 25% discount on purchases...but I've still spent about $200...and I still have all summer to plan! I imagine I'll spend quite a bit...but I'd rather spend money to make my classroom a more fun place and help my kids enjoy the time they spend in there, than work with whatever might be leftover from the previous teacher.

8. jme0131

jme0131 New Member

Jun 11, 2007

How much would you spend

I am not yet a teacher, but if I were you, for the first year, I would spend about $500.00. Out of my own pocket, I would spend about $100.00 at the most. Hope this helps!

Jan

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 11, 2007

I've been teaching for over a decade, and I *still* spend about $700 a year on materials and supplies. It never gets any better, much to my DH's annoyance!

10. Rivindei

Rivindei Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I probably spent close to 750 my first year and about 300 last year. I'm not planning on spending more that 300 of my own money again this year.

11. humm3

humm3 Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

Yep - everyone's right. You never stop spending...they're your kids and you want to get everything you can to make school fun! I spend around $500 per year and I've been teaching 14 years! I'm now headed to the office and into administration and I have TONS of stuff. My DH is dreading the tubs, boxes, crates and folders that will possibly fill the garage, attic, spare room, etc...but I can't part with anything yet *in case* I return to the classroom! One way I have saved $$ is to shop on ebay! Lots of great teaching supplies at reasonable prices! I built my classroom library with ebay books and Scholastic points! I also know every clearance area in every store in the area! Be resourceful and creative! Good luck!

12. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

you will think this is crazy but I actually spent about $1300 on my first room (last year). The last teacher left hardly anything so I bought some furniture, book shelves, supplies, carpets, books (hit up a lot of yardsales and thrift shops!), indoor recess games, etc etc etc!!

When my husband realized how much I spent he thought it was crazy.....but then turned happy when we were able to get re-imbursed 100% on one portion of our taxes (I think our PA taxes???)Anyways.....now he says "Spend all you want!"

13. sharona38

sharona38 Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I'm hoping to set up my own classroom this year! I've read several articles that say average 1st year is about $700. I've been collecting things for the past 2 years while job searching and have about 4 bins of stuff in my basement. I'm also very frugal. Check out your local libraries - they usually have book sales a couple of times a year. I've gotten paper bags full of great stuff for $2 - books and videos.
    I've also picked up a lot of good ideas from the numerous rooms I've subbed in. For example - instead of buying a birthday chart - wrap various size cardboard in birthday wrapping paper for each month and you can put construction paper gift tags with each childs name on them.
    Hope I saved you some money!;)

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007

I spend a fortune as well. I figure I spend most of my day/life there- it might as well be a happy, cozy, safe place. I love my classroom- that is worth any price!

Dh thinks I am nuts too, but really- he has his video games, I have my room.

15. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Yikes, you all spend a lot. I have never spent any of my own money on setting up a room - that is all done by the school. Well I guess I must correct myself because I have spent a little here and there on specific books that I like (like the magic school bus series) which I wanted to keep. $70 a year was probably it.

16. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jun 12, 2007

Save on books

Hi! You might want to wait on spending so much on books! Once you start in your classroom, start right away sending home scholastic book order forms. At the beginning of the year and again right after the December holidays they usually have specials where you can get TONS of points which equal TONS of free books! They have books for the classroom AND resource books. They give points for each month's order, but those 2 times are extra bonus points, in the past, even if I don't get enough in a class order to get the points, I just order more myself. It really works out to be a great value when you are building your class library. PLUS, keep in mind that books in your classroom are going to get beat up over time. It's nice to know that you got lots of them free. ;-)

Oh, and you can check on Scholastic's website for when/where they will have their warehouse sales! Those can be great if there is one anywhere near you!

Now I have SO many books I can't quite figure out how to deal with them!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  17. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 12, 2007

My first year I spent about $1500. :eek: Yeah I know that's crazy. Now I only spend about $500. It is my home away from home. I want it comfortable and cozy for my students and me.

18. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

I'm going into my first year of teaching too.... so this is definitely a cause for concern! LOL

I haven't really begun buying yet, as I won't be able to get into my classroom until after the 4th of July... so I'm not sure what I'll need yet! So far I've spent $150 at a Scholastic warehouse sale trying to build up my classroom library. I'm also currently bidding on a book lot on Ebay. I've probably spent about $100 so far on little odds & ends at the local teacher supply store, and God bless my directing teacher, because on my last day of student teaching, she surprised me with at least $100 worth classroom must haves!

I know that in the next two months I'll be spending a small fortune, because I'm planning to purchase...

-A nice rocking chair (thankfully a family member owns a couple of furniture stores, so I'll get it at cost)
    -A reading carpet (ouch... $$$$)
    -A nice electric pencil sharpener
    -A (magnetic/white wash) easle
    -Ect.

Yes, my husband (who is our sole source of income until I start getting paid in the fall) may have a heart attack. :)

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 12, 2007

As much as it takes... :)

20. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jun 12, 2007

Don't forget you can ask parents for things too

You can put things on a 'wish list' and post them during parent night or whatever you have at the beginning of the year. Some schools have parents with money to burn, but even at others you just never know what some parents might have to offer if you just let them know you would like something for their child's classroom!

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

I could literally never stop spending money on my classroom. I love buying stuff for it and my kids! You can barely tear me away from the school supply section at Wal-Mart and Office Depot.

The nice thing about my district is that it provides a lot of supplies and money for us. We get a total of about $1,200 to use at our discretion on books, videos, games, posters, whatever. We also get all of our teacher supplies provided to us--we just have to let the banker know that we need stackable filing trays or dry erase markers, and she hands them right over.

Still, I do buy things here and there with my own money. I try not to spend any more than $100 in a single trip, and I buy stuff once per semester.

An easy way to stock up on items for your classroom is to hit garage sales. Now that it's summer, there will be plenty of these. You can find just about whatever you need--books, games, toys--for not very much money.

In our district we have a teacher supply store, as well. Does yours? At ours, each teacher gets these 'credits', say like 50. 50 credits equals like $50. Each item in the teacher supply store is assigned a value, and you just 'buy' whatever you want. The supplies are something like office supplies donated by businesses or all the classroom stuff you could ever want donated by retiring teachers. They have really amazing stuff there, and you can go nuts with your 50 credits. They have special offers for union members where you can buy extra credits for a donation to the union or whatever.

22. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 12, 2007

Wow! Your district sounds VERY generous! You are really lucky!

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

Yeah I know! I posted this in another thread, too. I think that our school and district are so nice to the teachers about this extra money is because we teach in a very tough district. My school in particular is very rough.

24. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 12, 2007

Are you in Clark County? I keep seeing ads for them recruiting teachers here in the Chicago area. I've heard that LV can be rough.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

Yep, I'm in Clark County. In the more affluent area of the city, the schools are fine. I'm in the worst neighborhood as far as crime, gangs, and drugs, though. With that having been said, I love my students and the student population at our school. They're a tough bunch, and maybe it takes a little more work to get through to them, but that just makes it all the more meaningful for me.

26. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 13, 2007

We have a teacher supply store like the one mentioned. We are allowed $100 dollars worth of stuff, and everything is very cheap. They have everything from file folders to lunch boxes.

27. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 13, 2007

Don't forget to tell everyone you know that you will be teaching next year and you would love to have their castoffs. I got a rocking chair and a great rug last year from a friend, they had been sitting around for a while and she wasn't using them so she gave them to me. It never hurts to ask...whether it's a friend or a business.

28. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jun 13, 2007

I spent a lot my first year and less this past year. I plan on spending only 250 this year. I am going to withdraw the cash and only spend that over the summer. Im teaching summer school so I'd figure I'd use a small portion for supplies. We are having a baby in October so spending has got to stop. I hope not to spend throughout the year....

29. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

I tend to spend 500$ or more each year. It gets easier if you're in the same school/same grade for years but I keep changing grades to keep life interesting but I plan to stay in 2nd for awhile. I have a son now to buy for :*)

30. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jun 14, 2007

I spent about $2,500 this past year. I ama first year teacher. I teach fifth grade and have 34 students. If I taught k, 1st, 2nd, or
    3rd grade I wouldn't have more than 20 kids. It's amazing how much more upper grade teachers end up spending. I didn't even realize how much I spent until I added my receipts last week. With each new Open Court unit (that is our reading program) I was constantly buying things that would help teach the kids the theme. This includes resource books, kids reading books, and other "realia".
    The 2,500 also includes the 500 I spent on the LCD projector I bought off ebay. Competition for jobs in my district is high, so I had to show them that I could integrate technology in the curriculum. Although I spent a lot, I had a wonderful year and I LOVE my kids. They are so appreciative of everything I do for them and so it's hard for me to stop spending money on them!

31. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

I get $500 to set up my classroom from the district, and I'm hoping to not spend more then an additional $500. So I'm aiming for no more then $1000 total!

I'm a first year teacher though ... and I will have 26-30 4th graders so we will see how that goes

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 14, 2007

Eeek!

I'm not in a classroom yet, :( but the spending possibilities have shocked my DH and me. On the practical side, I have read (probably somewhere here on A to Z) that teachers should only spend money on things that are NOT consumables (paper, pencils, etc.). They should limit their spending to furniture, books, etc. That being said, I have seen many good teachers spend much money on their classrooms, generally on things like the library, decorations (especially prefab ones), snacks, etc. I'm really sad that I did not get hired for any of the positions that I know will be open in the fall (at least not yet :angel: ), because I won't have the summer to prepare lesson plans and my classroom. Congratulations on your new class!

33. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Jun 15, 2007

2 grand

34. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jun 20, 2007

Hi! I'm new to the forums and a first year teacher as well--I will be starting 2nd grade in September. I think I've spent $300 so far...and know that I will be spending a lot more! (And the husband is not too pleased..although after I showed him the classroom/area, he is much more supportive and wants to help get things.) I won't even have a "teacher chair!" The previous teacher is taking everything but the desks and student chairs...

35. AMAHOGANY

AMAHOGANY Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

With all that being said. Which I agree as teachers we should spend until our hearts are content (smile). What are essential items needed for the classroom while teaching elementary kids?

36. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 20, 2007

I'm in the same position.... New teacher (2nd grade) and basically all I have to start with in my classroom are the desks and chairs! My husband is also NOT too pleased with my spending, but he's dealing with it. LOL.

So far, I've spent about $900. Although admittedly, not all of my spending has been totally necessary (ie: decor). I figure I'll be spending most of my waking hours in this room..... I'm going to at least enjoy looking at it! :D

37. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 20, 2007

My district is not very good giving each individual teacher money, we only get $50 a year. We as a department have an alloted amount each year to spend on art suppllies, things for projects, new text books, currciculm materials, etc.

We get an unlimited supply of school supplies, untill they run out. They are really crappy and cheap though. I have had to buy my own electric three hole punch, good staplers, heavy duty stapler, posters, my own special pens/pencils, desk trays, oranizers for my desks, binders for my masters, and alot more. My firs tyea rteaching I am sure I spent over $500. Now it is probably about $200 per year.

38. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Jun 21, 2007

Chocolate!!!:)

39. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 21, 2007

One of the teachers I observed insisted that snacks were essential. Randomly during the day (he had 2 VERY diabetic kids), he would watch for signs of "sugar dump," (my word) listlessness, or tiredness. Without breaking his stride in the lesson, he would pull out animal crackers, or raisins, or such, and give some to each child. That way the diabetic kids didn't feel any more singled out than they were already, and everyone got a treat (teacher included). He said he used to offer juices, but that was more expensive and too messy.

40. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 21, 2007

For diabetic kids, even if their sugars are low, try not to give carb-ladened snacks. Raisins have loads of sugar. Peanuts, carrots, a plain cracker, cheese are all good.

41. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jun 21, 2007

I was actually offered things...

One of my master teachers decided that this was going to be her last. She's retiring and wanted me to come to her room and take whatever I wanted before her big "teacher garage sale" in her room the next day. The kicker: she teaches K, I will have 2nd. I managed to snag a few things, but I didn't want to take a lot. I was still shocked by her news!!! (She called me that day, told me she was retiring and to come over...then she told me she was moving out of state:( )

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007