How much did you Spend your first year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FutureTeacher_1, Aug 15, 2012.

1. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2012

I saw my new classroom today.

It's empty. Absolutely empty. A former art room converted to a first grade classroom.

I spoke to the principal and they're paying for:
    a smart board
    an IPAD for me
    some classroom library books
    a calendar set

She said title 1 funding would help cover those expenses.

I'm kinda stuck buying everything else.

I bought 2 rugs (70 dollars altogether)
    curtains set (30 dollars)
    a few pocket charts and book boxes (50 dollars)
    and I know I'll probably spend another 200 before everything is said and done.

I have some materials from my last teaching job that I bought, but really, does everyone spend this much their first year or so? I guess since I inherited a blank classroom, I'm spending more?

Any creative tips for a classroom mail center? I saw a few options but they all cost $100.00 or more. I have 29 kids. Most of the ones I saw had like 25 boxes only.

Thanks!

3. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

So you are at around 350 already. I think I spent that in my first 3 years combined. Getting donations of stuff from other teachers that they don't use anymore, is a great resource. That is where I got most of my stuff instead of buying it.

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

Um, it's not my first year, but I went from teaching middle school to teaching elementary and I moved so I didn't have any of my old stuff anyway.
    I spent about $250 at office depot for supplies and about $250 at the teacher supply store. I could have probably save about 50 dollars because my new school has provided me with a ton more stuff than my old middle school but I'm sure'll use it eventually.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

I spent well over $800 my first year.

Even though I'm beginning my 8th year, I still spend between $300-$500 a year.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

This all seems like so much money.... :(

I think you should start a project on Donors Choose or something like that. There's no reason for a teacher to shell out this much of their own money.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

Around $200 maybe---saved the receipts to write it all off.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

Some classroom supply catalogs sell cardboard mailbox centers for $20-$50. I'll look and see if I can find one online.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

10. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

For a mail center you can just get a $5 crate from walmart and put a hanging file in it for each student's work. It's cheap, portable, and doesn't take up a lot of space. I like that I can take it home when I have a lot of things to grade and just file as I go.

I spent way too much my first year (and most years after). I try to only spend money anymore on organizational materials that will last me for quite a few years.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

This. I know many teachers do, but there are resources.

Or make do with what you have; be creative.

12. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

I spend my $200 tax credit, and that's it. Although, I don't know if there will be a teacher tax credit for 2012. But, I could be wrong.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

Too much. A lot of it was on books though and I consider that money well spent.

14. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

About $2,000. Half of it was on books so it was worth the money.

15. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

I was on a tighter budget my first year, so I'm guessing I only spent around $200-$300. This year is my third and I"m guessing I"ll spend at least $500 easily before the year is over.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

My first year I dug through my neighbour's recycling to collect cans that I spray painted and used to store just about everything.

Can you make mailboxes out of cereal boxes?

Go to thrift stores, library sales and yard sales. Ask friends and family for donations of used supplies.

17. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

I can't tell you how much I spent my first year...a lot. But I was still living with my parents that paid for all of my bills. The only thing I had to spend my money on was saving for my wedding (which my parents paid the bulk of), myself, and my class. In a different situation I would have made it work with less.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 16, 2012

First year? Nothing because I didn't have a room.

First year with a classroom? Nothing because I inherited a class ready to go.

First year in a new building? I didn't keep track. I'm sure it was a lot. I had the. Honey to do it, so I didn't pay attention to doing it.

19. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

I had two big boxes of stuff. I took it to school for the first day of p.d. meetings. I put the two boxes in my portable and locked the door. At noon after the p.d. meetings, I came back to my room. All my stuff was gone. (My first thought was that I was robbed because the previous school year our house was robbed - we lived close to the school.) Since it was noon and everybody took off somewhere, it took me a long time to track it down. Turns out the custodial staff hurried to clean my room and threw both boxes of my stuff it in the dumpster before the trash truck was to arrive. They said the truck was probably on the freeway heading to the landfill.
    I lost a lot of examples of student's work, lost several laminated flight planning maps that I bought (I taught MS.flight simulator after school), lost scientific demonstrations that I developed over the years (I developed demonstrations that went in a display case, and students could manipulate using magnets). Other familiar examples were large algebra tile cutouts, algebra cups and tiles, paperlabs that I developed over probably the previous 15 years, lost a lot of software. To put a price on it, I would think I lost at least $500. I couldn't prove it and never got reimbursed for it.
    Since then I usually just let students bring stuff and post current student work.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I'm sorry, paperlabs.

21. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 16, 2012

I don't even want to think about it.

22. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Thanks for all your replies!

I finished my classroom shopping...I think. My total spending was probably $350.00 altogether but I got things that SHOULD last a few years.

The principal said she will order the items I asked for. Which is nice.

I know it's alot of money still, but I'm lucky to live with my parents still. I also have been teaching Summer school, so I didn't spend money I didn't have. However, I can see how difficult this can be for teachers with families and more responsibilities.

About the mailboxes, Walmart had a 15 compartment paper organizer for 16 dollars. I got 2. Those will be our mailboxes for this year hopefully.

Dollar Tree had book boxes for $1.00. I got 35.

I'm excited to go in today and setup.

23. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 17, 2012

Around the holidays I try not to think about it. Between putting together goodie bags for students, secret santa, and coworker gifts it adds up quick along with spending for family.

24. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 18, 2012

Ahaha....over a thousand last year. Easily. I probably spent at least $400 on my classroom library alone.

This year, not nearly as much, but still too much. :lol: I just spent $45 on a vacuum. A VACUUM. My whole building doesn't have one and I was tired of my rug getting gross and my kids haven't even come yet.

Somehow I always find something weird that I need to buy.

25. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 18, 2012

This really gets me thinking about all of my observations and practicums.

The majority of my secondary placements the rooms looked absolutely barren (no money out of the teacher's pocket). Then all of the elementary rooms were just spectacular (don't want to know how much was out of the teacher's pocket).

Big differential. :)

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2012

I never spent that kind of money on my classroom and never felt the need. All I need is a piece of chalk. I will buy items when I see them on sale in the summer. That's about it.

Honestly, if I walked in the room and it was totally bare bones, I think the last thing I would worry about is carpet and curtains. I actually just got around to thinking about some curtains in my room this year - and I have been teaching for 11 years.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2012

Good point, silverspoon. It's important to differentiate between "wants" and "needs".