How much curriculum do you make up?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Nov 26, 2007.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 26, 2007

I just spend a couple of hours creating my spelling hw for this week. I spent many, many hours over the summer as well planning my spelling program. (We don't have a formal program.) Every year I plan something different and change enough that I end up making worksheets every week. I always think I will reuse them, and rarely ever do. I use some parts the same each year (like games) but the actual word lists and worksheets change year to year...

Jeeze.

Does anyone else do this? Maybe not with spelling but something else, like math worksheets? (I do those too!)

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 26, 2007

Last year I invested LOTS of time making fluency passages for the kids. I photocopied all of the short passages from the intervention manual and counted each and every word on the page so that the kids could monitor how many words they read each minute. I know that there are fluency passages that are already made, but I wanted the passages to be related to our Open Court theme, so that is why I used the Open Court Intervention Textbook. There are about 10 passages per unit and there are six units. It took me forever!
    I also make my own math lessons and math tests. I rarely use the book because it's not aligned to the district math test we have to give.
    What else...Oh, I made powerpoint presentations for every single word knowledge and vocabulary lesson for the whole year! Needless to say, my life revolved around school last year.
    This year is so much easier as far as lesson planning is concerned. I am reusing everything. Man, if I ever had to change grade levels, I think I;d probably have a heart attack!:eek:

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 26, 2007

That's part of my problem. My first year at this school I had just 3rd. Last year I had a 2/3/4 class! Now I have a 3/4, but I have a lot of gifted kids.

5. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 26, 2007

Jeez! What's next year going to be....a k/1 combo?!:eek:hmy:

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 27, 2007

I create almost all of my own stuff. I like to follow my own train of thought and do things on a way that makes sense to me, so I find it's less trouble to make my own than it is to find something I am comfortable using. The toughest have been content areas like History and Geography. But this year, it seems to be coming together.

7. maroki

maroki Comrade

Nov 27, 2007

It really depends on the program. We are a Reading First school so I don't make up any of my reading curriculum. I probably make up 10% of my math curriculum, 50-60% of my science curriculum, about 95% of my social studies curriculum, 100% of my spelling curriculum (this is my first year doing spelling), and about 50-60% of my writing curriculum.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 27, 2007

Spelling is what I make up the most too!

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 27, 2007

Well as a secondary teacher I only know my subject area, but yes I create most of what I do. I take the district pacing guide, the state standards, all of the ideas I have found on the web and elsewhere and then I let my imagination run wild. Sometimes the lessons are based upon the recent behavior of the kids, sometimes it is just something the kids will find fun....like recreating the Oklahoma land rush (yep they had a good time, and it was usefull when we talked about the great depression and the dust bowl in Oklahoma)

If you only use worksheets you risk your students running you up the flag pole and leaving you there, out of boredom!

Or is that just middle school kids that would do that???? HEHEHE

Have fun creating, just remember, keep track of EVERY detail of how you do it, I didn't do that once and had to start over, it was an important piece.

(*BTW, how you guys teach ALL subjects to such little kids is beyond me, hats off to ya!)

10. lablover02

lablover02 Rookie

Dec 5, 2007

I feel the same way! I create a lot of my own stuff to use for math, writing, reading, and spelling mostly. Sometimes I have had to do it for science and social studies as well. Our district has just recently bought into a spelling program that has a manual but I'm still making stuff for it. Over the summer I did mathboxes(daily practice on various standards) for the whole year because our math curriculum is lacking in that area. It's a never-ending cycle! I think I have things made and set at least for another year's use and then the curriculum changes and it starts all over again.
    It may not help, but just know that you're not alone;)
    I'd be happy to share anything I have made:)

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 5, 2007

Except for guided reading, most of what we do for Language Arts is constantly recreated other than maybe duplicating some recipes (and their posters) that we did the year before. Most of the other subjects tend to be more stable year to year. We do change our crafts a lot too.

My teacher wanted to have a stable spelling program but even she admits it is nearly impossible to do for us.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 5, 2007

I make up "work sheets" but most of the time they are forms to fill in for some project that is hands-on, inquiry based, with manipulatives, etc.

My students don't spend too much time doing worksheets.

13. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Dec 7, 2007

I make my tests for sure and also have done powerpoints to review the concepts learned and turn them into review games.

I also have taken words off my word wall and put them into crosswords to review for tests.

We use Nelson textbooks and workbooks for Math, so math rarely needs to be modified. I do do problem solving questions in math on Wednesdays as we have music in the mornings that only leave us with a 40 minute math block.

Science is a mismash of worksheets, labs and videos. occasionally i write an overhead for the kids to copy (note taking is a dieing art). Language arts is new this year, now called Literacy, and were writing and reading more. No worksheets as of yet. Overheads and Cd-Rom visuals.

My teacher has decided not to have a formal spelling subject, but rater have a spelling unit with the most commonly misspelt words for grade 5/6, and have new words introduced each week.

this class this year is fairly needy so were modifying tons of paperwork.

Good luck,
    Seasons Greetings,
    Mr. Skinner :D