How much cash do you carry daily?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

A colleague's brother died and an aide was collecting money to give to the family and when she came to me I only had $3.00. I was lucky I found that much money because I never carry cash any more. I've gotten where I use a credit card for every thing, every a limeaid at Sonic! We always pay the credit card off every month. I realized I've turned into a cashless individual.

What about you?

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

I carry very little cash to school. Right now, I have $6 with me.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2009

It depends. Sometimes I end up with A LOT of tutoring money in my wallet (by noon today I'll have $130 in my wallet from tutoring but I have $0 right now in my bag!) , although I try to empty out a bit and put some in the bank. Usually about $20 but as I said, it varies.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

Right now, $4. Usually higher, though, between $10 and $20.

6. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 1, 2009

At the moment, I might have 23 cents on me. I never carry cash anymore. I'd like to try and keep about $20 on me, for the reason you mentioned above. Last year I was asked quite a bit for donations and I was always having to get back to them.

7. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

If I go to school , I´ll carry $5 or 10, no more than that.
    I I go out with friends , I´ll take all what I need and the debit/credit card OF COURSE

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

The kind that jingles.... I don't usually carry any...

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

Right now I have about $25, but that is very very rare - only because my roomie handed me a $20 when I went to get groceries. I never have cash.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

Usually less than $5. I use my debit/credit card for EVERYTHING, even my AM coffee. There have been multiple times when co-workers are ordering lunch out and I can't participate because I can't scrounge together the $4.
    Kim

11. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Sep 1, 2009

None.

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2009

Me too. :haha:

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 1, 2009

I might have as much as $80 with me - depending on the time of the week... but more and more...I am totally undisciplined with money...and have to keep my wallet in the car (especially at work).

If I have it on me...it IS going to be spent! I'm such a child!

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

If I'm lucky I can scrunge enough change for something...LOL!!!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 1, 2009

As of NOW, $10 is in my wallet. I almost always use a credit card or debit card, but I may have as much as $200 at rare times (in which I especially do NOT take my wallet in w/ me when I work at school. I leave it in the glove compartment of my car.) I haven't carried my checkbook in years.

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

I try to keep at between $10 and $30 on me, but I usually always use my credit card for everything because it's so much easier.

17. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Sep 1, 2009

I always carry $20 with me just in case. You never know, but as many on here have posted, I always use my debit.

edit... A few of you said you keep your wallets in your car. Really? I'd rather lock it up in my closet! You never know what can happen.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

I don't carry much money around either. I use the debit card for everything.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

If I have it, I'll spend it. If I put it on the card, I'm accountable to dh, and I'm much better about things. I see cash as 'free' money, because it's already out of the bank account, so why not spend it? Not good.

I do carry post-its with me, so if I need to split the bill and only have my card, I can simply write how much I want put on my card and hand it to the waiter.

20. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 1, 2009

I usually try to keep $40 and at least a 5 and a few ones because I am always needing to give someone money for something at school! I usually get a pretty large sum out after I get paid and use it for the whole month whenever I need cash.

21. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2009

I never carry any cash because if I have cash then my teenagers seem to have a sudden need for money for something. I put everything on a credit card and my hubby tells me at some point in the month that we are in gas only mode because I am getting close to our monthly limits.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

I'm also surprised at how many people leave their wallets in their car. THat is the LAST place I would want to leave it, especially since I tend to work at schools in very unsafe areas.

I also use only my card.

I'm thankful in that my visa card works as a debit. It takes the money directly out, so there is no need to pay it off or pay late fees or anything.

ETA: A lot of times, we'll have people come up and ask for money (donations, charity, homeless people asking for any change) and I'll tell them that I don't carry cash with me. It's so true, I don't. But I always feel like they think I'm lying to them!

23. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

I lock up my purse in my filing cabinet so I don't worry too much about how much money I have but it's never more than $40 (unless it's around my birthday or Christmas). DH keeps more for lunch and dinner out on the weekends.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

None.

25. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 1, 2009

Sometimes I can't even find $1.00 for the soda machine :eek:. I'm literally scrounging around the bottom of my bag. I was at a loss too once when they came around for donations for a co-worker. I also use my card to pay for everything.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 1, 2009

I usually have less than $10 cash.

I do, however, always keep $20 cash in my vehicle because I once ended up needing gas during a time when there were NO machines available to take credit/debit cards . . . so cash only. I had to get $3 in gas and hope for the best.

27. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

Back in the day, $3 worth of gas would get you pretty far.

When I get paid I always try to keep some cash but I usually leave it in the bill drawer at home and take a little out at a time. I don't lock my purse in my classroom, and I'd hate to have cash stolen from me at school. Altough, I've never had any thing stolen from me at school... amazing....

28. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

I carry a lot of cash - anywhere from 60 to 200$ - but I believe in living on cash - like the debt lady on TV who comes in and sorts out people's money issues. I take out money I'm going to spend. I never spend without planning. I am a big saver. I always want to know my account balance. Taking money out of my account to spend makes sure of that. The exception is for my business. I put stuff on the credit card because it is easier to keep track of expenses for tax purposes that way.

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

I try to remember to keep $10 on me (or rather in the console of my car). But, that rarely happens. I went to a fast food place the other day and their cc machine was down and asked if I could pay cash. I had $2. The one at the other register worked, luckily!

Your situation happens to me all the time (collect for something and I have no money!)

30. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

I think I could scrounge up $1 in change in the car.

31. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 1, 2009

Anywhere from 0 to $20.00. I think I have $4.00 right now.

32. Securis

Securis Cohort

Sep 1, 2009

Anywhere from $0 to $100 but I live off that $100 spending cash for the month and when it's gone, then it's gone. No more sodas, lunch, meals out, or other creature comforts.

33. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2009

Depending on IF I GOT INTO HUBBY'S wallet overnight!:D
    :angel:.Just kidding!:angel:
    I usually ask him in the morning, "Do you have any money? He tells me, "In my wallet." I then have the freedom to take whatever amount I want, but I make sure I tell him. :D Now! If I ask every morning then I am spending too much @ Wendy's & Subway.:)
    Getting to the point NOW!
    I usually have 2-20, depending on what day it is.;)
    Rebel1

34. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Sep 3, 2009

Usually I have very little cash on me. Maybe $1-$10.

35. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 3, 2009

Normally I carry zero! Sometimes I have change...but normally it's just cards for me!

36. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 3, 2009

In Canada, DEBIT is GOD.

I never carry any cash. Ever.

37. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

£30 as a rule like . I meet up with two teacher mates every thursday after school at a country pub and we partake in some "staff tharapy"....usually a pint or two !

38. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

Quid that is !!

39. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 4, 2009

a max of of $5. Like others have said I use my card, but I use it as a credit card, apparently it's cheaper then using it as a debit card. I don't even know my pin number.

I try to have enough cash to make an emergency run to the pop machine! :eek:

40. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 9, 2009

I carry only a small amount of cash, a few dollars, because a while back, when I carried more, I would stop at a fast food place for a little snack on the way home and the only way I could break that BAD habit was to carry no money. I have a credit card with for emergencies, but don't own a debit or ATM card.

41. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 9, 2009

Very little. I do have $5 in my desk right now, not sure why, or how it got there, but I'm not complaining...

I do NOT take my purse into school with me. I have no good place to put it, and I am likely to forget it.

Of course, I don't know anyone who locks their car around here either. So right now, my purse is sitting on the back seat of the truck, doors unlocked. My sunglasses are in there also, and a lot of other stuff.