How many?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lajoers3, Aug 7, 2007.

1. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

So i'm wondering how many people apply for jobs around where you all are. I know that when I applied for the last job I had I was one of 30something applicants (I asked how many I was up against after I got the job). The list was cut back to 3 or 4 for interview.
    Anyway, i'm just wondering if others know how many people you are up against in an application process.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 7, 2007

When I landed my first job, I only knew that I was competing with 4 other applicants in the final interview. Within my department, we recently had 2 positions open up due to retirement. We recieved over 120 resumes for those 2 positions that was never really posted in a public forum. Now that I know this, I continue to be amazed that I landed my dream job.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2007

I my area, the number of applicants can be in the 4 digit number range.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

100+ usually. I know one job I interviewed for interviewed 20 applications. I didn't get that job.

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 7, 2007

We get about 100 per elementary position
    They interview 4 for a spot.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

That sounds like elementary ed on Long Island too.

Secondary math is a different story though. When I was interviewing a number of years ago, we tended to interview 6 or 8 people from all the resumes we had.

8. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

There were 600 applicants for 2 open English positions in the district that I subbed in last year. I didn't even get a call, in spite of my subbing time (over 60 days, plus a 2 month LTS stint), having student taught there, and having excellent references within the district.

You will probably find a marked difference between those schools that hire the "old fashioned" way (i.e. mailed cover letter and resume) and those who use teaching jobs sites. IMO, those districts who use the jobs sites get what they deserve, which is an overwhelming avalance of applicants, only a small percentage of whom might actually be either qualified or seriously interested in the job. It takes actual effort for a person to type up a cover letter, print out their resume, put the proper postage on it, and get it in the mail. But, hey, what do I know, HR is a hard job that not just anybody can do.

Pete

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

Which once again, points to the idea that people should walk in their resumes. Show that willingness to put in the extra effort!!!!

10. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I was told (after I got the job of course) that over 300 people applied for my job! Only 8 were asked to interview. I was SO honored!

11. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I know for a recent posting for a MS L.A. position that was posted late Wednesday night, the principal had 45 by 10:30 am Thursday...hard telling how many he'll have by the 15th when the post is closed.

12. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I do agree that walking in with your resume is a good idea but I don't think it's ALWAYS the best. Today I actually sent my application for a position in via email. I spoke with the principal this morning and confirmed that this was okay (it actually stated in the ad that email was fine) and that he was able to view a powerpoint presentation. He said 'sure' and sounded quite impressed to be honest. I can assure you that I put a lot of effort into my cover letter and powerpoint presentation which i'm quite sure will show not only that i'm very interested in the position but also that i'm technologically literate. So, in my opinion I would think that if I walked in with just a basic CV but was up against someone who put together a fantastic electronic portfolio which was customised to that particular school and position i'm sure they'd choose the one with the electronic portfolio.
    Also, I just didn't have $30+ to spend on having everything that was to be included printed up (didn't have access to my own printer here so if I went to the post office or anywhere else to do it that is what it would cost, not including postage or petrol if walking in and buying a display folder to put it all in). In all it probably would have cost me $40 for one application - $40 which I just don't have unfortunately, no matter how much initiative I have.

13. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Just reading my post I thought I sounded a bit snotty but I don't mean to be at all. I just don't agree that walking in is going to be the magical answer everytime.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

Oh, I agree completely... ( with the first post... we posted together:eek: ) walking in an application isn't a guarentee of an interview. That resume will still be weighed against all the others.

But anything which attracts notice (in a positive way, of course!)-- that convinces an administrator that you really WANT this job-- will put you a few steps above other candidates WITH THE SAME CREDENTIALS. At least around here, that's a great thing... there are sooooo many applicants for every job.

Also, it's not always practical-- for those who are relocating, for example.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

Nope, that didn't come across at all:D

16. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Phew - i'm glad. You must have read my post just as I clicked 'post reply'. What time is it on that side of the world?

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

It's 9:15 am. We're leaving for vacation (a lake upstate) on Saturday. I have the 2 older kids upstairs, getting their vacation clothes on the bed. I'll go up in a few minutes, sort through them, and do the actual packing. But this way, they get a say in which clothes they love/hate, what fits, and so on, while I actually ensure that they have a bathing suit, enough underwear, a toothbrush, and some pajamas!

18. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Wow - that sounds like fun - it's 11:20pm here and I SHOULD be in bed.

19. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

HR offices in each district get approximately 1400 apps I've been told. Principals usually interview anywhere from 3 to 12 people for any one position, it just depends.

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2007

We don't have enough applicants to fill all the open jobs. Teachers go back Thursday and there are still jobs on the job line that are repostings because no one applied.

21. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

In my area we usually have over 1000 candidates for public school jobs!

22. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Here in NJ, there are about 300+ applicants per elementary ed position.