How Many Warnings is "Too" Much?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Starista, May 20, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 20, 2006

So we had our end of the year party at the park, and one mother informed me that I was known as the "nicest" teacher of the three... And then commented that I was "nice" in discipline as well. :eek: I think I give too many casual warnings!! :sorry:

So! Next year I plan to have a "pull a card system" where they have 4 colors that they'd change

green: good behavior
    yellow: warning
    red: loss of 5 mins of recess
    blue: note home.

They will have to then color the color they were on on their daily behavior calendar. My question IS ~ so they're talking during lesson time... is there a previous unofficial "warning" before they change their color to yellow? Or just an immediate color change to yellow? What about kids who can't seem to sit on their bottoms? Does this warrant a color change?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

3. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

May 20, 2006

I would give a verbal warning before I changed a card especially for 1st grade ("Johnny you need to sit down" or "Johnny please don't talk while I'm talking") and let them know that they will have to pull a card next time ("next time your card will be moved to yellow") Also, make sure that they clearly know the consequences for each color. Maybe have a special reward at the end of the week for those that stay on green for the whole week or something - that gives them an incentive to not be moved to yellow.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 20, 2006

Starista that plan sounds good... I'm making a note of it.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 20, 2006

What grade is this plan for?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2006

Judging from Starista's avatar, I'd venture it's first grade.

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 21, 2006

First! :)

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 21, 2006

Hi!

I teach K and my students get one verbal warning before they "move their clip" on the stoplight.

I start on day one. I am very clear what I expect and they know what the consequences are.

They also know if I say, "Please stop ___ or you will move your clip" that I mean it.

I have a very rough group of kids and do not give much leway - so my students know now that they either behave, or there are severe consequences. (Loss of recess, loss of playtime, letters home, phone calls home, visit to principal, etc.....)

But -- my parents always say, "You're the strictest teacher in Kindergarten, but the kids have such great behavior and they LOVE you so much!" I am of the school of thought that if you tell children what you expect, model it and live it, you will receive it in return. :)

Kelly :)

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 21, 2006

Mrs M. Can you tell me how to implement the stoplight. I would like to write it down for future use.

10. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 21, 2006

The stoplight is easy. Make a stoplight (black paper w/ Red, Yellow and Green cirlces on it - laminate). Then I write each child's name on a clothes pin. The clothes pin hangs by the color they are on. That's the easy part.

Here's the hard part, coming up with rules you want in your room, and consequences for each infraction.

If a student stays on green all week - they get a "surprise" on Friday. Sometimes it's free time outside w/ aides, a trip to teacher's lounge for a soda, popsicles, sidewalk chalk outside, Beanie Baby, t-shirt from Orlando... whatever. They are BIG rewards in my room because most weeks I'm lucky if I have 2 - 3 kids that stay on green the whole week. Also, if you are on green at the end of they day - you get 1 jelly bean. Green, Green Jellybean!

If a student moves their name to Yellow - sit 5 minutes of recess and 5 minutes of "math tubs" at the end of the day. Yellow mark on their behavior calendar home. No treasure box. Yellow, Yellow Watch it Fellow!

If a student goes to Red - sit all of recess, 10 minutes of "math tubs", Red mark on folder w/ letter. No treasure box. More than 3 red days in 1 week - visit principal. Red, Red A note home I said.

I start on day 1 with modeling what I expect to see, hear, feel in my room.

My rules are simple:

- keep hands and feet to self
    - raise your hand when you want to speak
    - respect the students and adults
    - stay in your seat

Hope this helped!!

Kelly ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 21, 2006

Yes, it did help.. thanks a bunch:)

12. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 21, 2006

Mrs. Mikesell ~

Can I please have more info on math tubs!!! :)

13. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jun 5, 2006

I wouldn't give them a verbal warning before having the student change their card to yellow. Maybe during the first few weeks when they are still getting used to the routine but that is just saying to the student you get an extra chance on top of these chances to be good. We use this system except with numbers and I think for most students it works as long as the teacher has high expectations that the students can and will behave in class and the students know the teacher expects good behavior or there will be consequenses. Good Luck! :)