How Many Units Do You Plan Per Year?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by abrummitt, Oct 7, 2008.

1. abrummitt

abrummitt Rookie

Oct 7, 2008

I will be a new elementary teacher (K-2) next fall and I'm starting to think about how to set up a year -- where to start??

My biggest question right now is: How many units/thematic units do you guys incorporate into one year? Do you do units back to back? One per month? Fewer? How long do your units last for younger elementary students?

Any input would be appreciated!

3. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Oct 8, 2008

Hi,
    I teach at an IBO school. Our primary years program runs six units of inquiry throughout the school year. Our units usually last about six weeks. I think it really is going to depend on the school that you end up teaching in. We're told what units we need to do for our specific grade, but there is a lot of flexibility in how we teach it. Since we are an inquiry based institution, the children usually guide us in what direction we are going towards.

4. MissB

MissB Companion

Oct 8, 2008

Princessa, What's an IBO?

abrummitt,
    I do too many units to count! I sometimes have a couple units happening at once.

If u PM me your email- I can send you a copy of the curriculum map I use to help guide my instruction through the year.

:) Jamie

5. MissB

MissB Companion

Oct 8, 2008

a unit can last anywhere from a few days to 6 weeks, depending on what we are studying and how in depth we are getting.

I follow typical science and social studies themes through the year and integrate it into literacy and math.

6. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Oct 9, 2008

International Baccalaureate Organization www.IBO.org Our charter school is in its seventh year running now. It was formed by a group of parents that wanted a quality education choice for their kids. Our school day is an hour longer than a traditional public school in our area, and our school year is twenty days longer. With that added time, if a child stays with us from K-12, they will have gone to school an extra three academic years than most of our regular public school students here. They will also graduate with college credits under their belt :)

7. MissB

MissB Companion

Oct 9, 2008

That sounds very cool! Thanks!