How many type of activities do you have in your 'teacher toolbox?'

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Oct 6, 2013.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Oct 6, 2013

I like to keep a list of different activities to help me plan. I am in my second year of teaching and since starting out with a small list of ideas that I mostly got from my CT during my internship, my list of ideas has bloomed to around 30 or 40 items. I am teaching HS Foreign Language.

Seasoned teachers, how many different types of activities would you say you have in your 'teacher toolbox?' Do you plan the same way I do?

Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2013

I plan according to my content standards. I have freedom in how to teach standards. I typically integrate technology, coop learning, direct instruction, hands on Games, note taking, videos, songs...

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 6, 2013

I'd love to see your list! I'm trying to find more and more things as I go. I try not to repeat any activity more than twice each semester.

I am also looking for quick activities that I can throw in at the end of a period if one class gets further along than another. Something short that looks like I planned it all along, lol.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 6, 2013

My "toolbox" for math is definitely much bigger than for language arts. I don't really keep a "stock list" of activities though, so I can't pinpoint exactly how many I have. I do like the idea though... having a list of different activities ready to "plug and play" would probably make it easier to get a substitute.

6. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Oct 6, 2013

Do you have the same classes every day? In my county, I do. I actually use some activities once or twice every chapter (7 chapters total= 2.5 weeks/chapter. Most get used only once or twice a semester.

However, I am still looking for more ideas. Some of the ideas that only get used once or twice include games (flyswatter vocab review), battleship for conjugating verbs, dice games). Activities that I use for every chapter include notes, vocab presentations, practice worksheets, conversations, oral verb drills w/ a beach ball, listening activities, skits, TPR cards, and daily warm ups. There are more!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 10, 2013

Fall break is next week and I'm diving into some Kagan material. I'm looking forward to making my Rolodex (yes, an actual Rolodex) of activity ideas to use in my planning. I'm really visual, so I like to have things written on cards I can flip through and sort. The book I'm about to read says it has over 200 cooperative learning strategies.