How many times...

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by tiki7719, Sep 16, 2008.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Sep 16, 2008

Did it take you to pass the Praxis II for Social Studies/History or however it is categorized. I'm starting to study for it and I am already getting sick to my stomach that I'll need to take it numerous times.

Was the test harder/easier than you thought? Did you over study? Any insight would help please :)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2008

4. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Sep 16, 2008

I studied with the Cliff Note's study guide, and I was pretty well prepared. It really does seem like SO MUCH information, but the test wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I bombed the first few sections and did pretty well on the second half. I needed like 140-something to pass, and got 174, but I think the score pretty easy, because I missed a bunch of q's.

This is the book I used:
    http://www.amazon.com/CliffsTestPre...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221590320&sr=8-1

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2008

Cliffs books work for some test takers and don't work for others, and that's fine. tiki7719, if you've got a good bookstore nearby, you might want to spend some time looking at the options - could be that one of the other prep-book companies has something that will work better for you, or could be that you'll be happier with materials that review the content but aren't actually designed for test prep as such.

6. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Sep 16, 2008

I passed the first try on both of them. I would check the single subject tests that will have more information. I would also check and see if your school has a study group.

7. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Sep 17, 2008

thanks for the responses :)

as a test taker, i am mediocre. its more of a test anxiety than anything.

i forgot about the single test section..sorry :/

Good job to all that passed :)

Unfortunately, my school does not have a study group for Social Studies. They only have one for the PLT portion of the Praxis (I believe it is called that). On a good note, last year, 548 at my college took the Social Studies 7-12 portion and 543 passed. That is a pretty good passing rate.

I have heard good/bad about Cliffnotes. I will check that out.

The type of test prep book I am looking for is one that has tests you can take in it. That way, I can get a feel for the subject.

Has anybody used the flashcards made by Cliffnotes?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2008

Many test takers feel cheated when the questions in the prep book don't absolutely mirror all of the questions they encounter in the test. That's a mistake, in my view. Take the practice questions instead as examples of ways the subject matter could be approached - but be on the lookout for that subject matter in other guises.

You might consider making your own flashcards, based on the outline that's in the online test preparation materials plus your own state's content standards (which should also be online).

As for the test anxiety, this is an opportunity to come to grips with it, and to increase your ability to deal with it or prevent it in your future students. Your school probably has some kind of tutoring service or other student support service; you're likely to find help with test anxiety there, and you could also try the campus mental health/counseling service.

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 17, 2008

I would say, don't study for the content, but study HOW to take a test. The PRAXIS tests are all based on how to take a test. The content comes to you if you were paying attention for the past 4 years. I passed all of them after I figured this out and started studying about how to take a test. I failed the assessment one the first time I took it, but passed it the 2nd time.

Good luck!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2008

Um. It's certainly true that one should know how to take a test, and that the basic principles don't differ very much from subject area to subject area. At the same time, the point of passing a teacher test isn't passing the test, it's burnishing the knowledge base and the thinking skills with which one can think through test questions. I'll concede, to be sure, that elementary-teacher tests as a class cover ground that most of us went over in one form or another at least once between kindergarten and our postgrad years, and if one can activate that long-hidden trove of knowledge, one has less work to do than if one is quite sure one never, ever learned any of that stuff. But the fact is that nobody ever outsmarted a test without having at least some grasp of the fundamental principles and thought patterns of the field that the test examines.