How many times have you moved classrooms?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2008

I've moved four times in five years. :yawn: Me= Overly exhausted at this time.

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2008

Yeah, that's hard. I've only moved once, really. I spent 6 years in my very first classroom and then moved a couple of years ago. They are going to have to kick me out of there when I retire. (It's the only K room with a bathroom and I'm not leaving!)

4. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

When I was an assistant, our class was moved quite often. In fact, one year they moved us twice!

As a teacher, I had to move my 2nd year. It was next door, but still a lot of work. The new room was full of junk.

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 4, 2008

3 times in 5 years - YOU BEAT ME! I feel your pain!

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 4, 2008

Ten.

I have plastic storage boxes that are reserved just for classroom moves.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2008

In how many years?

I really don't hope to move for a while now. Last year, though, I was confident.

Moving in counts as a move. Yet the room was tiny in the back of the library without a bathroom or storage.

Why I moved the second time (for year 2)- I was finally getting a big room with storage like everyone else!

Why I moved the third time- All of fourth grade moved to the same hallway, basically, but it wasn't my old hallway. Fifth grade was across from us.

Why I moved last week- I became the advanced teacher for fourth grade, and advanced teachers have specific rooms in their hallways. I had to move down two rooms. Yet this time I am the most sore/exhausted and pray I won't have to move again for... several years. :lol:

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2008

Besides moving in, I've moved 3 times. That's it. I swear I'm not moving again. Even if they make me teach K or something (no chance of that).

9. Dthig65

Dthig65 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

6 times in 12 years :(

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

Me too- To the T! UGH it is exhausting. This is the FIRST year that I haven't had to change a grade level as well as a classroom. :whistle:

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2008

I am going to swear up and down that I want to stay the advanced fourth grade teacher FOREVER and never, ever want to move again.

At least I've been fourth grade all five years.

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

Well staying in the same grade level is something that's for sure!!! I have gone from Music to 4th to 3rd to 2nd and finally 1st. I don't want to move again either!!! UGH!!!!!!!

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

I just finished moving. I haven't had to move that much and my hubby REALLY helps, so I'm thankful. My P moved tons of us around this year, so I'm scared that she'll so that again next year. I also have plastic crates just for moving. The secret that helped me is to keep everything in containers-no loose items.

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

That's what has been happening at our school too. She moved about 8 teachers last year and 3 this year. No one but me was happy about it.

15. mot

mot Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

This year is my FIRST time not moving!!!!! I've been at the school for 9 years now.

16. Mr Flamingo

Mr Flamingo Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

6 times in 9 years. Hopefully this will be the last for a while.

17. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

It's my fifth year at the HS - the first year I moved every day! ;) I was a "traveler" and used four different rooms during the day. I had a room my second year that belonged to a teacher on sabbatical, then moved into my present room, where I am firmly entrenched!

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2008

One thing is that I was originally supposed to be in the old room, so I really don't think I'll move for a little while at least after this coming year. Hopefully I will exceed their expectations for an advanced teacher.

I keep a lot in crates/plastic containers/plastic drawers! It does help! Yet at the end of last year, I kind of FLUNG items in the crates, containers, and drawers, making it mighty complicated for me now. I remember just wanting to go home for summer and relax! Well, it didn't pay off now.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

This will be my third time in four years. I was in the fifth grade room for two years (after student teaching/full-time subbing in fourth-so I had to move to the fifth grade room), moved EVERYTHING out here to CA (from MI) for a middle school job, and now everything is back in my spare room, waiting to go a third grade classroom an hour away. What a pain! My husband is ready to kill me and burn all my books!!

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2008

2nd year, 2nd room....

21. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 4, 2008

I have taught in all non-science and technology classrooms at my school for one period at one point in time. Now I'm out in my brand new modular with AC!

22. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

Only twice...but when I moved after my third year of teaching, I swore I'd never move again. I had 44 boxes. Where did I get all of my stuff?

23. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Too many to count!! I've moved schools 5 times, living places 5 times, and 2 times moving out of school for complete remodeling of building. In May, 2007 I packed up the apt. (14 years there) and my teaching stuff (29 years of stuff) and moved everything into a storage unit across state. Last summer, got the assigned classroom cleaned out then was told I was moving to a new room.

24. lajones81

lajones81 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

Twice in Four Years

25. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

At my current school I moved once. From 4th grade to 5th grade, which was upstairs. At my previous school I moved three times in two years.

26. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

I have moved 4 times in 3 years due to the influx of students and renovations. And to top things off, they moved my program the year I was moving, so I had to pack up my classroom again!

I am now on my 2nd year in a new school district and I am moving already and will be moving my program to a new school next year:(. I hate packing!!!

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

:hijack: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

28. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Aug 4, 2008

we're year-round. I move 3 times a year. keeps me organized!

29. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

This is my 12th year teaching.

This is my 6th elementary school.

This is my 10th classroom.

I don't like to get bored. I've bounced around a lot in the district. I've had a lot of different jobs. It keeps me on my toes.

And tomorrow the adventure begins with hauling all my stuff to my latest school.

Kelly :)

30. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

ughh - you guys are lucky to even call your classroom your own. With an overcrowded school, I was in THREE different classrooms this year.

Now that I'm moving to another school - I will share my classroom with another teacher but I'm in the same room for 4 periods. The only reason I am in a different class for the 5th period of the day is bc it is Special Ed & I have to go to the Special Ed Rooms.

I wish I had a classroom to call my own =(

31. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I'm 7 for 7! But I'm with MrsMikesell....I get bored easily.

32. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

In 13 years, I've moved 9 times.