How many times have you been sick this school year?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Erin Elizabeth, Mar 13, 2010.

?

How many times have you been sick this school year?

1. At least once a month.

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. About every other month.

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Once or twice.

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Not once!

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 13, 2010

:mad: I have been sick at least once a month since this year began.

I started the year with a lingering sinus infection and low fever for 3 weeks. I was sick with a cold at Halloween. I was sick with some stomach issues over Thanksgiving break. I had another sinus infection from Dec. 18 until January 5th. I had a cold at the beginning of February. Now I'm sick again with another gross cold.

I am really getting tired of it. I eat a good diet, I take vitamins, I drink lots of water, I'm constantly washing my hands, I wipe down my classroom once a week, I exercise, I get 7-8 hours of sleep each night, and I still get sick. My doctor says I'm fine. I don't know what else I can possibly do to stay healthy. I was sick a lot as a kid; I had strep and bronchitis several times, and even pneumonia once. Maybe I'm just cursed with a mediocre immune system...

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2010

I missed the first week of school when I had half my thyroid removed.

I missed a day of proctoring when I caught the stomach bug that went through my house just before Christmas.

I've also missed 2 1/2 days becasue my kids were sick.

Aside from surgical- type stuff, I haven't had a lot of real "sick" days. But those surgery days, in addition to days I've been out for my kids have been more than I would like.

4. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Mar 13, 2010

I've been sick twice this school year. Well, sick enough that I had to call in. In the fall I had a bad cold/sore throat and lost my voice, and a few weeks ago I had a stomach bug.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 13, 2010

I have missed 3 days of school this year. Two due to doctor appointments and one b/c my mom (who I haven't seen in 3 years and lives out of the country) was in town.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010

Sick enough to call in: once, when I got the flu in November and missed a few days.

I also had an ear infection over Christmas break, and a bad cold a few weeks ago. I've gotten sick more this year than in my first two years--3rd graders must share more germs than 5th graders!

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 13, 2010

Have been sick about once a month. It is bad for a day or two, then I am ok. I have not missed any school due to illness though. My kids all come to school when they are sick, I catch what they have, so there is no reason for me to stay home.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2010

I usually get one bad cold and sinus infection each year. This year I also had the swine flu and missed a few days with that.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2010

Thursday I got really achy and started getting chills. I took my temp 4 times- the last time about 5 minutes before dismissal (time before that was an hour prior to dismissal). I was in the 97s every time until the last time- it jumped to 101.6.
    By the time I got home it was over 103.
    I went to the Dr yesterday and they couldn't find anything wrong with me.
    Well, I got a call today saying my strep test that they sent to the lab came back positive (one in the office was negative, but I gag really bad and she didn't get a good sample).
    So, I have strep throat. And it sucks! I can't remember ever having it before.

10. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Mar 13, 2010

Let's see… from August to now: swine flu, stomach bug, a cold (about every other month since Aug.), ear infection, another stomach bug, and strep throat. I also feel another cold coming on…. then again the people I work don't like to cover their mouths when coughing/sneezing/etc., I'm not surprised I keep getting sick- I catch everything!!!!

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2010

I haven't missed any days due to illness this year. I've been sick twice--early in the year and right now--with allergy/sinus issues. Anytime I have sinus issues, I end up with an infection. This time I have a double ear infection. It wasn't bad enough to keep me home, just bad enough to be annoying.

When I started teaching, I was sick a lot. Finally I got my immunity built up, and then I was really sick and took medication that wiped out my immune system. I got to start all over. I haven't missed any days for my own illness in the last two years.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010

Once, but I do take "sick" days. I'm not going to apologize for it either. I need a break once in awhile.

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 13, 2010

I've been sick once where I couldn't even get myself out of bed and it worked out that it happened to be on a snow day which I'm very thankful for. I hate taking sick days, and never have in the three years I've been teaching.

14. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

I was only sick once or twice; however, I missed more days than that due to pregnancy, deployment, and mental health!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 15, 2010

Well, since this school year's almost over (ending for me on May 25th), I've gotten sick maybe for a brief time some mos ago & I'm getting over being sick now...this time, thanks to my BF being sick!

I really try my best not to get sick by washing my hands a few times a day when I can, trying not to be too close to the kids, etc.