How Many Times Did You Take The Basic Skills Test/PRAXIS BEFORE You Passed It?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Suburban Gal, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Apr 3, 2007

Just out of curiosity, how many times did you take it before you pass it? And, what kind of things did you find yourself doing to help you pass it the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or whatever time around?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 3, 2007

I'm looking forward to the responses on this.

4. Suburban Gal

Apr 3, 2007

So am I. I just read one gal on here failed 5 or 6 times.

I took the IBST test 3 times, the PRAXIS 1 times, and will be trying again on the IBST this June. From other posts at A To Z, it just seems like I'm not the only one who's struggling to pass in an effort to make her dream come true. So, I thought I'd ask the others here.

Let's hope some folks respond.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 3, 2007

"5 or 6 times" is nowhere near the maximum number of times on a basic skills test.

6. Suburban Gal

Apr 3, 2007

What's the maximum # of times you've heard of someone taking a Basic Skills Test before they passed it?

Oh, and how many times did it take you to pass it?

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 3, 2007

What test are you talking about? I took the praxis 1 writing test 5 times. :eek:

I was only one to two points below the score I needed. Writing is my weak point (which I'm sure you all have figured out). And get this the first two times I took the test they were vacuuming outside the testing room! The third time someone was coughing, and the fourth time I was sick. I finally wore earplugs the wax kind you can put into your ear and no one can see them. And I passed by five points.
    Now I'm thinking about taking the Praxis 2 math exam.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 3, 2007

I took CBEST once, but I know of someone who took it something like 14 times and passed on the fifteenth go. You have to admire that kind of persistence - though clearly the guy should have gotten help much earlier in the process.

9. Suburban Gal

Apr 3, 2007

The Basic Skills Tests for enterance into certification programs for for exit out of certification programs. For some, it'll be an IBST (Illinois Basic Skills Test), CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test), MCCT (Michigan Test For Teacher Certification), or what have you while it'll be the PRAXIS for others.

5 times? :eek: Glad you passed it on the 5th time.

Good luck there! :)

I hear very few pass it on the first try and that the majority need to take a Basic Skills Test multiple times.

I've heard of people taking it 3 or 4 times, 7 times even.... but have never heard of someone having to take it 15 times. That person definitely had A LOT of persistence and I think I have to admire anyone that had to try that many times. You'd think by the 7th try - they'd want to give up. I'm glad he didn't. Persistence really does pay off in the end, doesn't it?

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 3, 2007

Posts like this scare me to death. I havent' taken mine yet.

11. Suburban Gal

Apr 3, 2007

:sorry: , not trying to scare you to death.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

As a matter of fact, for CBEST at least, the statistics are rather better than the rumors: the first time passing rate is over 70%, and the cumulative passing rate generally runs over 80%. I suspect results are comparable for PPST/Praxis I and the assorted basic skills tests in the other states.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

Thanks Elizabeth. Math has always been my strong subject. Suppose that is because I didn't learn to really read until 5th grade. So I'm not to worried about this test. I also might take the reading test so I can be highly qualified in reading and math.

14. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 4, 2007

I took all my tests just once. CBEST, all CSETs, and RICA. But I'm a good test-taker and I don't get test anxiety. Plus I studied really hard for all of them!

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

I'm one of those people that goes into the test and forgets everything! I can pass all the at home practice tests. I don't get anxiety during math tests for some reason.
    Cut you can do it! Don't get nervous it makes it worse.

16. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 4, 2007

Also, some people just aren't good at taking multiple-choice tests. We see this in our students all the time. Teachers have different learning styles, too!

17. Suburban Gal

Apr 4, 2007

I think it's great when someone can take it once and pass it once, but I'd still love to hear from others who weren't able to pass their Basic Skills/PRXIS on the first try.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

There are certainly lots of people who BELIEVE they're no good at multiple choice tests, and lots of people who BELIEVE they're no good at essay/short answer tests. That belief definitely interferes with performance. Very few people in my experience, however, are actually bad at testing, if they're given proper coaching and encouragement.

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2007

Once . Thank Goodness

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

So TG want to come to Maine and coach me this summer? Of course I don't have a house or anything but I could offer you a nice tent. :D

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

Hey, consultants are supposed to get per diem, at least!

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

OH man. Well did I mention my grandparents live on a lake? You could tent outside there house instead of my parents. or you could sleep on the raft under the stars with the canadian geese. :D

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

You tellin' me I'm a honky?

24. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 4, 2007

LOL!!! That seemed random til I re-read JM's post!

I took the CBEST and CSET exams once. RICA is still upcoming for me. I'm more stressed about the $372 than the test itself. Grrr...

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

Wait: $372?? For RICA??? Last I checked, the fee for even the video version of RICA - which, by the way, has a rather lower passing rate than the paper version - was $232 for 2006-7. The paper version was $140.

But note my clever use of tenses, and check this out: http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=21013.

Fees for everything but CBEST will be reduced for next year. Not a lot, to be sure, except in the case of the video RICA which goes from $232 to $130 a pop. Still, it's considerably better than a kick in the teeth, no?

26. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 11, 2007

I took the MSAT 2 times, then they switched to CSET and it took me 1 time for the Subtest 3, 2 times for Subtest 1, but the Subtest took me 10 times, but when I did pass I scored better in the area that I was having difficulty with. SO Perservance is the answer. If I can pass, so can anyone else. Keep studying!!!!

27. Anne.

Anne. Rookie

Apr 13, 2007

*Sigh* Tomorrow will be my 4th or 5th attempt at taking the CBEST. It is really my fault...I buy the book and should take the time to study it, but instead I wait until the day before to cram everything in.

I actually passed the Reading (thanks to the practice tests on the CBEST website!) and the writing (I'm thinking of doing that part over tomorrow...). The math part kills me everytime. The last two I took, my math score remained the same! -_______-;; I'm 50% optimistic! Am looking to this one site for my other 50%! HEHE.

I'm not proud to say that I've taken it many times, but I just want to pass the test already and start registering for the CSET!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2007

Where in the state are you located, Anne.?

29. Anne.

Anne. Rookie

Apr 13, 2007

in the ever so great city of los angeles. =)

y tu?

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2007

Great is one word for LA: there are sovereign nations that occupy less real estate!

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2007

Which book have you been using?

32. Anne.

Anne. Rookie

Apr 14, 2007

Mostly I've used Cliffs Test Prep (6th Edition), but I bought Princeton Review's 2nd edition a month ago. Other than those, I've used on-line practice exams.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

Ah. If it works for you, Princeton Review's a good choice. (Not every resource is right for everyone; no harm there.)

If you don't get the results you want, before next time you might want to consider classes or tutoring.

34. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Apr 14, 2007

I took the test once and passed it with flying colors. However, I'm one of those people who had standardized testing beaten into my head in a Texas school- and I'm good at it. I couldn't help thinking that the time limit for the test was unreasonable. I had to write 12 short essays in 2 hours! I think they've changed the test since last year though. I couldn't move my hand when it was over!

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

If they were 12 in two hours, I don't know that I'd call 'em short essays - not in the introduce-conclude-etc. sense.

In any case, ouch! on your behalf.

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

10 minutes an essay OUCH! I would never get that done. Not moving to your state lol. The essay I had to write we had a half an hour.

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

Which is exactly my point, Jaime: those aren't essays, they're short answers: the trick is to spit out the key points, fast, and move on.

38. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Apr 14, 2007

I passed the General Knowledge Praxis on the 4th time. I am a horrible test taker. I swear, I go into a test as a different person. I know I knew the answers, I just froze.

The first time I took the Praxis I missed it by 4 points, the 2nd time missed it by 3 points, and the 3rd time missed it by 2 points. That is when I studied.

Well the 4th time, I went out the night before to a birthday party and came home pretty late and got up really early to go take the test, and PASSED by 8 points. Maybe that tells you something. Oh well.. At least that is over for me. Good luck to everyone else that needs to take it.

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

Yup, that's test anxiety, all right.

40. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2007

My poor daughter has test anxiety as well! She is such a bright girl, but when it comes to test taking, she sounds just like jenglish. She needs to talk to you TG and get some advice. Jaime, she just took the writing test for her second time. She has a feeling she will be taking it again. We won't know the results for a week or so. I just don't understand how she can't pass it. I feel so bad for her, this is really hurting her, and she is losing confidence in herself. My daughter graduated with Highest Honors from high school. I need to help her, but not quite sure how.

41. Suburban Gal

Apr 16, 2007

You and me both. At least I know I'm not the only on my 4th or 5th attempt with it.

That's how I've been feeling as of late.

Thanks!