How many teachers are in your family?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Mar 22, 2009.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Mar 23, 2009

I think there are one or two on my dad's side but I don't know specifics.

On my mom's side I have an uncle who is an Athletic Director (former coach and teacher) and his wife is an Assistant Principal (former special ed. teacher). My cousin's wife was a teacher for a few years also. I think that's all!

2. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2009

Pretty much just me.

I have three aunts - one taught GT, one teaches 0-5 level, and now works as a social worker type person, and one works for the department of health but in the education department, mostly at the high school level (teaches them about STDs, vaccinations, washing hands, etc.) But all three of them are only aunts by marriage.

I also have one cousin who teaches elementary science.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 23, 2009

My mother has been an elementary teacher, a middle school teacher, an elementary principal, a middle school principal and now is in statistics and data for the central office. My first job was teaching fifth grade with her as my principal (she didn't hire me, though).

My dad got his degree in elementary ed from U of M, just like me, but never taught beyond student teaching. Apparently teaching jobs were tough to get in the 70's, too, so he went into insurance. I can't imagine him in a classroom, but it's cool to share college memories with him (he took me for my first Red Hot Lover's hot dog when I was accepted...).

I have several extended relatives who were teachers-my grandmother had 10 brothers and sisters, and many were in education. She was a para pro for a long time as well, after my mom and uncles were out of the house.

When I go home, all I talk about with my mom is education. It's gotten to the point where dh doesn't come on vacations with me. I lived at home during college and my first year teaching, and it was literally 24 hours talking about education. I think that's why I'm so obsessive about it. It was just how it's always been.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2009

one more :D, I have a first cousin whose daughter is a college professor

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2009

Oh, so I see you've met my older sister???

And let me remind you: I am the lone white sheep in a family of black sheep... and it all started with my sister Eileen.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2009

What can I say? I've got a sister. (Who is, incidentally, a teacher. As is her daughter.)

7. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Mar 26, 2009

My Mom and Dad were both teachers-he was her principal when they met! I have 2 brothers who are/were teachers, my sister runs a summer program of workshops at a university. My husband is a teacher. I also have 2 uncles and 1 aunt who are teachers and several cousins who teach. my daughter just started university last fall but says shes not going to teach-we'll see!

8. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Mar 26, 2009

My cousin is a kinder teacher, my godmother is a principal at a kinder and my husband`s cousin is a PE teacher, I think we are a lot !!!!!!!!

9. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Mar 26, 2009

Zero in mine or dh's line. Never...unless one counts during slavery when one of the wives held "school" on the property for AA children. Seriously, this was when it was illegal and one of my relatives actually had a school house built and taught school to the children of their slaves. We know this because a professor from Morehouse did research on a line of slaves that could read and write. The family picked up and moved from GA to Texas during the Civil War and everyone came. Some slaves when freed took the family name and stayed around because they were given land by their former "owner." The professor is in the process of writing a book (we've got journals from the family) because he said this group of families was an example of how some slaves were treated. Not justifying owning another, but he said that in this case not only were slave families kept together, but the children were educated as well as any white child of the time. Some of the children attended Morehouse with the fees being paid by the relatives.

Well, that went a lot OT, but she's the only teacher in our long family history. Lots of college degrees, but just not education.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 27, 2009

DallasTeacher, this is so interesting! Can you begin to imagine the enthusiasm these kids had to learn to read and write??? Might provide an answer as to why kids so apathetic these days?

11. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 27, 2009

My mother has done some substitute teaching. My stepsister is a full-time middle school special ed instructor. My late grandfather once taught zoology at a local university (I think. I really should contact the school and see if it was there or another IU campus.) Two of my cousins (the daughters of my mom's sister) are/were in education. One was an elementary school teacher for the New York City public schools; she's now a stay-at-home mom of 3. The other is working on a Ph.D. in political science (I think. Maybe it's history) and teaches at the college level.

MathManTim

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 27, 2009

Not many at all. My grandma used to be a teacher. I've "inherited" two teachers after marrying my husband, hehe. His aunt, is a teacher and his great aunt used to teach. She has so many stories to share, they're comical. :)

13. Mrs. C.H.

Mrs. C.H. Rookie

Mar 27, 2009

My mom is a sub and has taught Sunday School and Vacation Bible school almost her whole life. My great grandmother was a teacher. That's it.

14. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Mar 27, 2009

My cousin teaches high school math and me!

15. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 27, 2009

My wife and son are teachers. My daughter is in college to become a teacher.

16. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 27, 2009

Besides me, my aunt by marriage and 2 cousins are currently teaching.

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 27, 2009

Both my grandmother and my great aunt on my mom's side were elementary teachers. My aunt on my dad's side is also a teacher. Other than that, there are some professors (grandfather, aunt, cousin.)

18. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 28, 2009

One sister is a vocal music teacher - she was elementary for over 20 years but is now secondary; my other sister has a degree in elementary education, but is an insurance underwriter; my brother is dean of finance at a university out west, and my brother-in-law is an instrumental music teacher who gives private lessons.

My insurance underwriter sister makes three times the salary the rest of us make. Sigh.

19. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Mar 28, 2009

Beside me....my mother in law, sister in law, and brother in law are teachers.
    I also have an aunt and a cousin who are aides in the school
    My grandmother worked in the school cafeteria until she retired.