How many students?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by tchrmommy1, Jul 13, 2009.

1. tchrmommy1

tchrmommy1 Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

I am new to teaching fifth grade this year (after having taught first for 8 years and special ed for the 4 before that). I am enjoying reading all these threads and getting new ideas, but it's all so overwhelming. I was just curious, how many fifth graders do you expect in your class this year? I have 33 on my roster - 20 boys and 13 girls (that doesn't count any new kids who register over the summer) - but I could have up to 37. The thought of that many paper and projects to grade, and students to manage kind of scares me, but at least I know in fifth they are at least more independent than in first.

So how many students do you expect and do you have any tips on classroom management for this many?

Thanks!

3. heatherlynn444

heatherlynn444 Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

I teach at a private school and I had 15 last year, expect 16 or 17 this year

4. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

I have 6! I have AU room. I have 3 grade levels.

I am not sure how to deal with 37 students.

ALOT OF REWARDS is one thing! In my room, I try to be all postive but I think it would be very hard with 37. (I just saw that this is the fifth grade place!)

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 13, 2009

I have 22 on my roll, but I can have up to 31. I probably won't have more than 25. The most I've ever had in five years of teaching is 28. I cannot imagine having 37 kids in one room :eek: Your classroom must be very big.

6. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

I can't believe you may have up to 37! Aren't there laws against that? The most our 5th grades have is maybe 27.

7. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

I ´ve got 28 second graders!

8. PenguinPie

PenguinPie Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

I had 23 5th graders last year. I can't even imagine 37!

9. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

In my 3 years in fifth, I have had 23-25. One year I only had 7 girls. But 37? Wow.

10. tchrmommy1

tchrmommy1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

It's insane!

I know, 37 is ridiculous! Actually our limit is 36, but each teacher (we have 2 currently) at a grade level has to be over by one and then we can split. So I could sit at 37 waiting for one more student for the other teacher before we could split.

We have the AZ legislature to thank for this. AZ is now 50th in education spending due to major budget reductions. Most districts had to lay off many, many teachers this year. Ours raised class sizes because we had a 27 million dollar deficit.

Right now, I have my desks grouped in 6 groups of 6, which takes up the majority of the room. It will definitely be different than the 20 first graders I had last year! But it could be worse...at least I'm not stuck in a portable!

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

When my daughter was in 5th grade, her class had 45 students. They shared desks because there wasn't room enough for individual desks. Most of the work they did was independent studies because the teacher was retiring after that year and didn't want to bother with the "teaching" thing. I felt really bad for the lower students because they got 0 individual attention. I would have a really good classroom management plan and lots of educational activities that they could do while you work with small groups. Good luck!

12. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

Its my first year in 5th and I should have 30. Good luck with 37!!!

13. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I'm supposed to have 27, but our enrollment fluctuates a lot. By contract, at 32 we get an assistant.

14. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I currently have 27 on my roster (I'm excited to have a low number this year) but can go up to 35. I use many of the Fred Jones techniques and have never had a problem.

15. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I have 23 on my roster right now as well. I'm assuming it could fluctuate a bit, but I don't think I'd have more than about 26 total.

16. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I couldn't imagine 37 in one class...wow! I will have about 16 this year. The only advice I can give you is follow through on your discipline plan and have well structured activities.

17. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

We are departmentalized and, as a R/LA teacher, I will have three sections of fifth grade reading. Last year, that brought my grand total to 56.

18. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

I haven't been given my roll yet, but I'm thinking I'll have about 28 students in each of my classes.

For classroom management, I use Power Teaching's Scoreboard and it really works great. So far I haven't needed much else past that because the kids want to get points so badly that they keep each other in line.

19. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 15, 2009

When I left in the spring, I had 29. This is the biggest class I have ever had (last year I had only 18).

20. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I have 25 on my roster right now. (Better than last year, 33 third graders!!)

21. Enthusiastic5

Enthusiastic5 Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I am a new teacher and will take my first class on September 1 this year. My class currently has 32 students enrolled: 5 with IEP's and 5 ESOL students. It is quite possible for me to end up with 34 students in my classroom during the school year.

My very diverse school and inclusive environment makes for an even more interesting classroom than some, but with any group this large, classroom management is vital. I taught in this school during student teaching for both Elementary Ed and Special Ed, so I have seen how the first 2-4 weeks of school + some consistency can really make or break a teacher. Find what works for you.

My other tip is to challenge your students and to offer them real-world connections as often as possible. If they become intrinsically motivated in your class and are too busy to act out, then you'll have far less trouble. Planning is key.

22. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 15, 2009

We have 11 5th grades and all but one will be between 27 and 30. That doesn't even count the transfers we'll get. :eek:

23. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

Right now, I've got 16 on roll!! Woo hoo!

But it won't last. I just know they are going to move the newest 5th grade teacher out and split up her class. So that means around 21. Which is normally what I have.

24. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Our maximum is 20, ocassionally 21. I have 19 in September. I don't know how you can manage 37 kids!

25. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

I teach 5th grade math and I am the only one. I have about 88 students with 22 in each class.

26. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

The Power Teaching scoreboard worked well for me last year. I had a student teacher for half the year and she didn't like my regular plan, so I told her to examine Power Teaching and she liked it a lot.

My regular plan also works well. The "teams" at each table compete against other "teams" to earn the most points. I actually gave them little green laminated pieces of paper and they were trying to earn "green cards".

They could earn them for everything from first team to have books out and paper ready to everyone on team turning in homework/paper work to groups that worked very well together on projects. They also earned individual green cards that they turned into their team for high grades, me spotting a random act of kindness, etc.

At the end of the day, we counted green cards and the team that won got a piece of candy. (Whatever....I don't want to hear about sweets and extrinsic rewards.) It wasn't so much the candy as winning as a team. If you've got a class that will compete for the prestige of winning, all the better.

It's about peer pressure. I didn't have to nag about getting homework in because they didn't want their team mates angry with them. It has even evolved into someone on the team calling the "forgetful" one the night before.

I could also take away a green card, but I didn't do that very often. It would be for someone arguing and being annoying with someone else on their team. I would just stick my hand out and say "green card" and that would be it. They didn't need a lecture; they knew what they were doing. By the way, coats on the floor were a big no-no, so cards got taken away for that. That's a safety issue, and we don't have lockers or hooks.

Problems with the green card system:
    They have to be laminated and identifiable in a unique way. When they weren't, somehow I ended up with some suspicious looking green cards and missing green construction paper.
    You have to tell them they can't count green cards during the day or one will be taken away. Otherwise, they are counting when they should be working.
    You have to take turns on who gets to do the counting at the end of the day. And make them count one by one out loud so each team can hear them count. Amazing how 25 cards can turn into 27.
    If they ask for one, they have to give one up.
    Vary it once in awhile. Have a "double green card day" or "A Green Card Blast" in which the cards are counted at the end of the week and top two (or three) teams win. Short weeks are good for that. I've even done a "No homework for winning team" week.
    Change teams once a month. I always changed on the first day of the month so that I could tell them I didn't want to hear about so-and-so on their team because they'd have to be patient and wait til the end of the month to get moved.
    I have had a very few students who deliberatly sabataged (sp?)their team because they ... Well, anyway, I just moved them into a single group for month and told him he was a "team unto itself". Then gave him a chance again the next month.

I've used the system for many years, and I have high school kids come up and talk about it. They love it. I have to give credit to a friend of mine for thinking up the system. She has it varied to fit her personality, but it was her idea. Can't put her name on here, but she'll know if she stumbles on to this. Couple of other teachers she's worked with will know who I'm talking about, too.

Good luck with all the kids. That's really way too many to have to deal with. Wouldn't it be nice if someone from the district would come in and just look at all those bodies, especially after PE?

27. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

:lol: That made me laugh!
    I really like this idea. I like the teamwork it involves. I'm looking to do something that involves tickets or cards & drawings. I am looking to promote acts of kindness and non bullying behavior. I only see students once a week (and sometimes not even that) and am looking for an easy system. :D