How many students?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by karalotta, Sep 4, 2006.

1. karalotta

karalotta Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

I was just curious how many students you all have! I have 21. :)

3. smile

smile Companion

Sep 4, 2006

I have 20.

4. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Sep 4, 2006

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 4, 2006

At the moment 20 but I am sure it will change. School starts on Wednesday and there are always a few who jut show up.

6. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

I have 20 kids. Out of the 20-4 are diagnosed with ADHD. It should be a year filled with stories!

7. Kinderteacher23

Kinderteacher23 Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

I am lucky...I only have 14 at this time. I've been teaching for 5 years and this is the LOWEST I have ever been. It should be interesting!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 4, 2006

6 (deaf classroom)

9. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Sep 4, 2006

I have 17 in the morning and 21 in the afternoon.

10. jcatblum

jcatblum Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

I teach at a private school. I was suppose to be teaching preschool, but then the Kindergarten enrollment went wild 2 weeks before school started. So I was thrown into Kindergarten.

My class is all of the children who enrolled after our "open" enrollment. I have 10 full day!!! Our director keeps saying I am getting more soon.... but I am not sad about only having 10!!! We have lots of fun and get more free time, I am loving my small class.

11. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Sep 4, 2006

I have 23 as of right now. School starts tomorrow-so we will see who hasn't registered yet-always seems to happen.
    Out of the 23, I have 5 sp.ed-3 of them with major needs, I also have at least 6 non-english speakers. from those only 1 or 2 can speak a little english.
    Tomorrow should be interesting. Who knows on the rest. We will find out tomorrow!!! ;)

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2006

Our kindergarten classes have been capped at 25--all are full and we are having to send kiddos to another school.

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2006

I have 20 in each AM and PM session (I teach public prek, and I have a full time aide). Our K classes have 16, 18 and 19 in them. They share an aide,a nd are all day.
    Kim

14. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Sep 4, 2006

I have 18
    One of our schools has a class of 27!!! They are looking at starting a new class, but school starts in the morning, they need to get on the ball!!

15. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 4, 2006

Right now I have 21. (12 girls and 9 boys) One of the other schools in our district is full so about 2 weeks ago we got 7 students from there, we are almost full now as well, our cap is 22.

16. tysmom

tysmom Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

I have 18. (No aides at our school). It's a manageable number...keeps me hopping, though.

17. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Sep 5, 2006

25!

18. kinderkara

kinderkara Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

I am student teaching in a classroom now that has 17, the other kindergarten class has 15.

19. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

I have 20

20. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Sep 6, 2006

I have 18. With one little active boy who makes it seem like 34!

21. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Sep 6, 2006

I have 14, the K teacher next to me has 18 and the third K class has 16. Still a possibility that they will combine classes and one of us will be let go. Nerve wracking.

22. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

I have 31- full day- without any aides or Teaching Assistants. A few ADHD, speech, and ESOL in the mix. Sometimes I wish it was illegal to have that many. Any suggestions?

23. benemma

benemma Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

I am doing a private kindergarten in a childcare center and I have two full-time kids and a few part time kids (with varying schedules). It's nice in a way, but also a pain in a way because it is hard to do group activities with two.

24. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 7, 2006

I have 25! 1 with ODD and ADHD and 2 SPED. I also have one who
    is being tested for autism as well as a handful of other kids who if they don't have ADD or ADHD (not diagnosed) I don't know what is wrong with them. :rolleyes: No aides and the 2 SPED kids only get pulled out for 1 1/2 hours.

25. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Sep 7, 2006

I have 21 with two assistants (Lucky I know! I count my blessings many times a day!!!)

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2006

I don't know how you guys do it. I had an ADHD kid shut down and refused to look at us (if you are deaf and don't look you can't communicate, talk to them, etc) for 1 1/2 hours today. We were lucky to have a team (a teacher and an aide) and still involved the principal. We only have 6 kids. Our kids often (not every year) have language delays, but still...31 kids and a mix of special needs ALONE! YIKES! My praises!

27. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2006

That's crazy! In NM, any more than 14 kinders and there must be an aide, and I don't think I've seen a class with more than 21 or 22 kids

28. smile

smile Companion

Sep 7, 2006

How long do the aide stay in the kinder room that has more than 14 kids? Is this for half day or all day?

29. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2006

After a class gets more than 14 kids they get a full time aide. (full day kinder)
    When the classes all get to 20/21 or so, they add a floating aide for the classes to share.
    That doesn't include sped kids who get either their own aide or share an aide with other sped kids

30. avidreader

avidreader New Member

Sep 8, 2006

I am in a private school and I have 14. My partner teacher has 16. I had to laugh at Back to School Night because one of the parents asked if I would have 1 aide or 2. I have none. I love the number of students I have as I came from public and had 21.

31. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 8, 2006

I have 16 kids in both the amand pm class! But I have NO HELP either!

32. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Sep 8, 2006

Pray that you never have to see an Kindergarten class with 31! (laugh)Nothing can prepare you for the chaos that 31 K students can do after 2PM...when they seem to "shut down" and go wild. I'd love an extra set of hands/eyes/ and a voice, but there's no money in the budget. The SPED kids that were "slipped" into my room will be my problem until June. (there's no additional help or services, or testing that is provided...I must just "deal with it" )I'm not quite sure how to get all the testing done- DRA, pre-requisite skills, Concepts of Print, Accelerated reader, 5 writing assessments, social studies, math and science checklists that require at least 15-20 skills to be tested....most of it is one-on-one (while the rest of the crowd "babysits" themselves in center time.) I have a lot of inappropriate children who can't handle themselves while I am testing for 15 minutes with my attention elsewhere. It's chaotic, at best. I feel bad for the few students who come to school to learn. We could be "building rockets" if I didn't need to constantly do "crowd control" with the inappropriate, unmedicated ADHD, and disruptive students all day. We lose instructional time on nonsense, and the good kids lose out.
    Is there anyone else out there with an ENORMOUS class (30 or more) who can shed some light on crowd control and testing? When do you get to teach? It seems like testing nonstop....and do you have any voice left by Friday? Maybe I'm doing it wrong. It can't be this hard all the time! Anyone else feel like this occasionally? Sometimes I feel angry and frustrated that I have an unbelieveable amount of students, and a monumental task to bring 80% of them to grade level in reading, when most of them don't even know the alphabet. Other days I feel like I should be honored to have my job, knowing that my Principal and the Building Leadership Team thinks I can (and am) doing a great job...and after all, it could be worse, right? Some days I'm not so sure. Anyone else know what I mean??

33. Frustrated FL

Frustrated FL Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

I have 28, and the next one to enroll is mine. Of the five other teachers, three have 29, one has 28, one has 22 (ESOL self-contained, in a smaller room).

Looks like they're getting around the "cap" there --here in Fl, too. Too bad the parents don't complain--doesn't seem to matter if the teachers do.

34. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Sep 9, 2006

I have 20, that's our district cap. In addition, I have a mainstreamed student who is coming for a period during each day.

35. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 13, 2006

Well I started out with 19. One showed up on the 1st day who I was told wasnt coming for a few more weeks. Then one came on Monday (I expecting her) bringing me to 21. One came this morning who once again I had no idea about. So 22 kids. Thankfully I am not getting anymore...we are FULL.
    I do have a full time aid but 22 is a lot the most I ever had. I dont know how you all handle more than that

36. misst1976

misst1976 Companion

Sep 13, 2006

I have 36!!!!! It's full day. I feel you KdgCop. It's the first year that I've had this many! I have no aide, but my prin. has been supportive in getting the ancillary staff to help on their open time. It's just too many for kdg. I've spent the last 2 weeks just going over procedures and getting them to calm down. I have a headache everyday. This is my 5th year and I have never felt this overwhelmed. i don't know how much teaching I will get done. It seems I'm constantly getting on the ones who are still adjusting.

37. Mrs. Frazzled

Mrs. Frazzled New Member

Sep 13, 2006

I have 26 students. But My twist is that I have always taught 7th and 8th for 11 years:confused: , And this year they have moved me to 2nd grade with 26 students!!!!! I am so overwelmed it not funny. :crosseyed

38. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 14, 2006

I have 25 students but most days, it feels like 39!!:eek:

39. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Sep 14, 2006

Well, my news is that our numbers in our classrooms are too low!15, 15 and 18. Imagine that we could have really taught this K kids with low numbers. So since I was last to come into the building I am leaving. To where? I have no clue if I get to go to another building or come home and sub for a year! I am suppose to get another position, but no one knows where a teacher is needed or what grade or building or how far, I already travel close to an hour one way and that is to a school in the middle of the district. This is frustrating.

40. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Sep 14, 2006

32 and feeling very envious!

41. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Sep 14, 2006

I have 32 (see previous post). Crowd control - lots of group work, not expecting silence. I never yell, I hold my hand up and click or something to get attention. My kids have always been in largish classes, so it's not unusual. Biggest problem is space - there never seems enough!

We do have silent times, and my expectation is that it will be absolute. I think the crowd control principle is the same - teach rules and procedures (these are VERY important in a large class), appoint monitors for everything - handing out materials etc. Make sure they move only in small groups (I send them out to recess with such things as: if you have a younger sister, you may go; if you have a dog/cat etc you may go).

Marking/grading papers is a lot of work, so I try to limit it to actual assessment items. The kids often mark their own/each other's work where feasible (eg spelling tests) and then I collect the data.

Interestingly, my masters thesis was on the correlation between class size and achievement and there is very little research to support the popular belief that class size is a major determinant of achievement. Much more important is parenting and family situation - encouragement of reading etc

I don't do a lot of 'chalk and talk' teaching, preferring groupwork and collaborative learning.

On the upside, you have fewer friendship issues in larger classes - more choice! You can also tweak groups really well and have heaps of diversity in responses to discussion.

Obviously, for workload reasons, I would prefer a smaller class. I think optimum numbers are in the mid-twenties.

I hope this doesn't sound offensive, but I've been wondering about the fairly low pay that American teachers have and suspect it's tied to class size (so many more teachers required for small classes!). We come out of university, four-year trained on around $38000 and this goes up fairly substantially. I'm 8th year, although have only taught full-time for 2 years with many substituting years, and am on $55000. Maybe I'm wrong:sorry: but this sounds a bit higher than US rates. Casual (substitute) teachers earn around $300 for a day (6 hours). Again, I hope I haven't offended:).