How many students are getting vaccinated?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CaliforniaRPCV, Nov 4, 2021.

1. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Nov 4, 2021

Now that covid vaccination is approved for 5 and up, how many of your students are getting vaccinated? I'm also curious if enthusiasm changes with age range. Any districts with student vaccination mandates?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2021

I haven't heard any of my students talking about being vaccinated. There is going to be a clinic next week, so possibly more will mention it then. Based on parent comments, I'm not expecting it to be a high number. We even have teachers who were chomping at the bit to get their own vaccine last spring, but now are hesitant to have their kids vaccinated. No mandate for teachers or students here. For about three days at the beginning of the year (ha) masks weren't required if you were vaccinated, so there was some incentive there. They very quickly changed it to masks required for all, even when meeting with just other vaccinated adults.

CaliforniaRPCV likes this.
  4. Crazy4cats

Crazy4cats Rookie

Nov 5, 2021

I haven’t heard any kids mention it, either. I think there will be quite a bit in my community who will not get it. It’ll be interesting if it becomes mandated.

5. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Nov 6, 2021

I’m hopeful that parents will have their kids vaccinated but not overly optimistic. My county does have a decent vaccination rate and my district/school is pretty good about masks, but it’s still a struggle to keep up with kids not wearing them properly.

I’d love a mandate for schools, ya know… like all the other childhood vaccines. But that’ll get serious political pushback in my state.

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2021

My old school doesn't have mask mandates b/c the vast majority of parents have thrown fits about it at school board meetings. Covid has finally hit the schools here really strong. A friend has almost 30 kids in her class and only had 8- 11 in class last week due to Covid or being very close contacts. Teachers have gotten it too. If they won't wear masks, I am doubting they'll vaccinate their kids.

7. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Nov 7, 2021

There are a couple nearby districts mandating covid vaccination. The one I live in isn't. It seems to follow political party lines. At some point, I expect the State of California to add it to the standard list of mandated vaccines for all districts.

8. MusiCal

MusiCal Rookie

Nov 8, 2021

We've been having an on-site Clinic for covid tests/vaccines and it is ALWAYS busy! It makes me happy to see there's a constant flow of university students getting the vaccine. Within the athletics & performing arts, all of our student participants were required to get vaccinated before the start of the school year. Otherwise, they risked loosing out on their scholarships and positions on the team/ensemble. I had so many marching band students email me before the start of school to ask things along the lines of "Is this a serious thing?" "Are they really going to enforce this?" My reply to all of them was very simple: "Get the shot or don't march."

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2021

I teach K. None of my students have mentioned it and I haven't asked.

My 6-year-old (he attends a different district) comes home talking about classmates who have gotten the shot. He got his yesterday and wants to wear the sticker that says he got the COVID vax to school tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    CaliforniaRPCV and miss-m like this.
  10. happygirl444

happygirl444 Rookie

Nov 14, 2021

My husband and I were happy to get vaccinated, but I am waiting for my children as the trial was so small. We have no mandates here.

a2z and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 15, 2021

I think most of my students have gotten it. They are around 15-16 years old.

12. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 17, 2021

Not sure yet but our district is offering a voluntary clinic for it this week. I'm taking my 9 year old next week to more likely get it, pending what her pediatrician recommends.