How many sick/personal days do you get?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Each year we start off with around 6 sick days. We then accumulate more at a rate of just under one per month. The grand total for sick days is about 12 per year. Sick days roll over from year to year.

Personal days are a little trickier. New teachers don't get any personal days, but they get one flex day. A flex day is used like a personal day, but it's deducted from accrued sick time at no penalty.

All teachers other than new ones get different amounts of personal days. They all start off with I think 3 personal days. If you took no sick days (or just the one flex day at no penalty) the previous year, then you get an extra 3 personal days. If you took between 1 and 3 sick days the previous year, you get an extra 1 personal day. If you took more than 3 sick days the previous year, you don't get any personal days. Personal days do NOT roll over and it's a 'use it or lose it' thing.

Last year I only took my one flex day, so next year I'm going to have (I think) 18 sick days at the start of the year and accumulate about 6 more. I'll also have 6 personal days which I basically have to use up.

3. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Everyone (new and returning) get 10 sick and 2 personal each year and you can only carry over six days for the following school year. You can't get money for days you have saved so if you have more than 6 near the end of the year you have to use them or lose them. Last year I had to save all mine because I took a month off and I was short a few but the school covered me (charter school so more flexibility). For the last five years I always carried over 6 but this year I will be starting with the 12 days.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

BASAM:

Being in a charter school, do you have the same sort of schedule as a regular public school teacher in terms of holidays and other time off? Do you teach the regular 180-200 days per year?

I'm always confused about charter school stuff because it varies so much among them.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Wow you guys get so much more than me, I get 8 sick days and 5 personal days and 4 professional development days. That is it, for the year. I used up all my personal days in a few months (court dates getting custody of my nephew) and had to get a varience to use sick days for the last one.

Officially jealous here.

6. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Yes, I didn't know my district was so different. We get a total of 5 sick and 5 personal days per year. Over the last couple years they require advance approval of personal days and request that they are not used on Friday and Monday if possible. How's that for ya'???
    They have had a sub shortage, it seems... They all carry over unless you change districts...then only the sick days carry over since they are provided by the state of Texas.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

Well, we also get 12 sick days, and 3 personal leave days. Like someone else, personal leave have to be requested and approved ahead of time. I believe the personal leave can roll over, as well as the sick leave into a big sick leave account. I think I have almost 40 days of sick leave. Hoping to save up so I can maybe have a baby next year (shhhh, don't tell anyone) I am going to have to talk dh into it lol.

8. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

We start each year with 10 sick days and 3 personal. They all accrue and if you don't take any days then at the end of the year you get a $125 bonus check. Miss 1 day and you get $100 and miss 2 and you get $75. I didn't get the bonus last year since my mother passed away the day before school started. The past 3 years I have gotten the bonus though and it was a nice surprise during the summer break. I think I am starting off this year with around 38.25 days or somewhere close.

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I get 15 sick days, 2 personal days, and 1 "emergency" day a year. The sick days accrue from year to year. If I don't use my personal days, I have the choice of receiving the money they would have paid a sub or having them roll over into sick days. I ALWAYS take my personal days. The "emergency" day is for if your car breaks down or your water heater explodes or something like that. If I don't use it, I lose it.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

No limit to either, but it's assumed that we won't abuse the system. Very few do.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

20 sick days, no personal, all unused days accumulate.

12. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 16, 2007

We get 10 sick and 2 personal each year.They carry over to the next year if unused. I have 33 sick days I could use this year if I need them. When we retire our county will pay us for up to 100 unsed sick days. So...if you are close to retirement you better take off any days over the 100 you've accumulated!

13. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

We have 12 sick and 2 personal. The sick rollover and personal rollover to sick days. I'm not sure if it's based on district or state, but I know at my previous school we would be paid for unused sick days once we retire. I "plan" to save mine so I'm prepared when I have kids, then after that save, save, save until I retire!!

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

I could be off by one or two but I think ours is 11 sick and 3 personal business. Unused personal business days roll over into sick days. After six year of teaching, I have about 48 sick days accumulated. I didn't take any last year but the year before I hated my school and took way too many days off! Shame on me. But the job did make me sick...and fed up!! That counts!!

15. mbfenner

mbfenner Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Last year I only took my one flex day, so next year I'm going to have (I think) 18 sick days at the start of the year and accumulate about 6 more. I'll also have 6 personal days which I basically have to use up.[/QUOTE]

I work in Nevada as well. Down in Vegas. But we get paid for the personal days if we don't use them. It's somewhere around 90 dollars for each one. http://www.educationbuffet.com

16. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

We get 15 sick days and 3 personal days per year. I think I have 43 sick days.

17. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

We get 10 sick and 2 personal. Sick days can accumulate (not to exceed 65 days) but personal days are use it or lose it. I always use my personals. I have only used 2 sick days. I'm trying to save them for when I have a baby :)

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I think Family Leave Act should have prevented you from losing days for custody of your nephew?

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

10 sick accumulated to 70
    2 personal (use or lose)
    5 emergency which is basically only for funerals (including student related) and your own personal health issues which pretty much mean in the hospital

20. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

Unlimited sick days, 10 personal days.

21. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

10 sick per year they rollover if you do not use them.
    3 personal- you have to give a reason for 2 of them and 1 day you can take without giving a reason (silly,right? They are my days, I should be able to take them w/o a reason)
    P days do not rollover ....

22. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

We get 14 sick days, 1 personal day, and 5 emergency days per year. You can roll over sick days if you don't use them. Emergency days do not roll over and only 1 personal day can roll into the next year. You have to give reasons for emergency days only. If you have to be gone for district release days, you are not penalized for those. We also have 2 half days or 1whole day to use for planning whenever you choose.

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

10 sick days, 2 personal days. I think you can only roll over 6 total days. We get 3 days for funeral, 5 days if it's out-of-state for family members.

My family is all out of state. Last year both of my grandmothers died within 6 weeks of each other, right before breaks. I didn't get any hassles!

24. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

We get 10 sick and 2 personal--all roll over each year. After you bank 100 days, you get paid 1/2 the cost of a sub (about $25) for each day over 100 days. Each semester, if you don't miss any days, you get $300, if you miss 1, $100, more than 1 $0.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Some of you have mentioned that you can get paid for unused sick days when you're getting ready to retire. I think in our district we have the option of retiring up to a year early if we have a certain amount of sick days accrued. Do any of you have that option?

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I'm in Vegas, too. I hadn't heard about getting paid for personal days, but I'm really excited to hear that!

27. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

We get ten sick days (one each month)...personal days we get two a year but you have to pay the county to take those days. For example my brother graduates from college and if I want to go see that I have to take a personal leave day, but I have to pay the county for my substitute. It is a big fat joke!!! NCAE is trying to get that changed but our rep. said that they don't want teachers to abuse these days so they think we should have to pay for them so we wont abuse them. So needless to say teachers are "sick" alot!! I will not use a personal day because you have to pay and you have to explain why you are out. Sick leave you just calll the sub line and call and leave a message on the phone. Alot easier!!

28. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I've always gotten five sick days and five personal days. Personal days have to be approved at the school level. If you want to take a personal day before or after a three day weekend or the first or last fifteen days of school you have to have approval from the district office.

29. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

In my district:

Years 1-3: 10 sick days(roll-over unused), 5 personal (3 w/o deduct, 2 w/deduct of sub pay)

Years 4-10: 12 sick days (10 roll-over unused), 5 personal (same as above)

Years 11-16: 15 sick days (12 roll-over unused), 5 personal (same as above)

Years 17 - on: 17 sick days (15 roll-over unused) 5 personal (same as above)

Any unused personal days at the end of the year, we get $50 each
    Perfect attendance: $550 for the year ($300 for sick days, $250 personal days)
    1 sick day used: ($150 for sick days plus unused personal days)

30. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

We get 10 sick days per year however they automatically take 1 away from us to go into the district sick bank. (makes no sense to me!) There is no limit as to how many can go into our own sick bank and any unused roll over. If you do not use any sick day then next year you get 2 bonus days which can be used at anytime for any reason including adding the days onto a break.

We get 2 personal days. If we don't use either they turn into sick days for the following year. If you use one then you better use the other otherwise you lose it, makes no sense to me so I use both personal every year.

Funerals for immediate family and in-laws you get 3 days. There is no limit to this per year.

Funerals for all others is 1 day and also there is no limit to this per year.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

We have the option of giving up one sick day to the sick leave pool. It's not mandatory at all, but most of us do it anyway.

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 16, 2007

We get 10 sick days per year, and unused days roll over to the next year. We get 1 personal day, and it rolls over to a sick day the following year if unused. (I always let mine roll over.) We also get 2 emergency days . . . for things like funerals. They don't roll over.

Sometimes they'll switch them around. For instance, my dad was sick a couple of days at the end of the year and I had to be out with him. Instead of taking sick days, I was allowed to use emergency days since it was at the end of the school year and I was unlikely to use the emergency day.

I'm not sure if we have a limit on professional leave days. I've never heard of a number.

I love that the sick days roll over. One year I was out 45 days for illness, and I still had 25 days left when it was all over. I think I've got 60 days now.

We do get paid for our days when we retire.

33. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

We get 10 and 3. But I think that more veteran teachers may get more sick days. 1 more, so maybe you get 11 and I get 3. I'm only about to be a 4th year.

Our sick days start in the summer (just got my 10) and our personal days start over January.

I only called in sick one day all of last year (took otehr days off for appoitnments etc) that day just happend to be the last day. I have an excuse, I was in the ER :(

34. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

We get 10 days per year that can be sick or personal leave days, and 2 report writing days... but next year-- we get 6 report writing days!!! This is because our conference schedule and report writing process is changing. I can't believe it!

I think 5 days roll over. I can't remember how many to be sure.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

What do you mean by report writing days? I've never heard of that.

36. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 17, 2007

12 sick days and 2 personal days. I only have 20
    My husband has accumulated 120...he wants to be a stay at home dad when we have babies. NOT FAIR I TELL YOU.

Did someone up there say UNLIMITED paid sick days???!! (Because I want to work at THAT district!! :D

37. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 17, 2007

20 sick days, two personal. I think we can accumulate up to 200 sick days to retire a year early.

38. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

We get 10 sick days each year, which carry over. We also get 3 personal days, which also must be approved (though we don't have to give the reason) in advance when possible. The personal days roll over into sick days the following year if we haven't used them. Professional days are simply approved as needed. I've had years where I take 10 professional days and years when I only take 1 or 2. :)

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

We get 10 days each year, personal and sick. I don't know exactly how many are personal because if you don't use them they are rolled into your sick days the next year. You can accumulate as many as you want.

40. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

We get 2 personal days and 2 professional days per year. You accumulate 1 sick day per contract month--so that's 10 sick days per year. Of course when you start in August you'd better not get sick because you have no sick days. You can take a personal day but then you don't have that for later when you're not sick but need to take a day.

At the end of the year, sick days roll over and personal days roll over to sick days.