How many Sick & Personal Days do you get?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ECE ABC, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 3, 2014

I only know that teachers with less than 5 years get 2 personal days per year. After that, I think it's 3, then 4, then 5..... don't know the steps... All personnel earn 1 sick day per month. Personal days roll into sick days at the end of the year.

We also have a sick bank so that's kinda nice to know. :)

2. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2014

8 sick days that roll over, 2 personal days that do not. (I think, I dunno I never take my days) I do earn an extra day for doing summer school.

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2014

That's nuts, I've never heard of a teacher having to pay for the sub!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2014

In NC I had some kind of day (emergency? personal?) where you had to pay for your sub. It was only $50 or $60. I don't even know what they were called because no one used them!

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 5, 2014

Teachers get 10 days/year (sick/personal/etc. all combined together).

Administrators get 12 days/year, I believe.

I used up almost three weeks last year after I had an emergency appendectomy. I think I ended this school year with 25 days in my sick leave bank.

6. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 5, 2014

10 total per year. 6 of the 10 can be personal.

7. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 15, 2015

Our new union is currently fighting for more sick days and I honestly don't care if we get them, we already get 13 plus 5 personal days...I am just about the money:D

We have a union meeting next week about our contract negotiations, I just want bigger pay raises---that's honestly all I care about!

They are going to ask for 15 sick days instead of the 13 we already get..i really don't think we need anymore..i would actually take less (10 per year) if it meant a huge raise!!!!!

I already have a little over 160 hrs (25 days) of sick time accrued so I am ok with not receiving anymore.

I can't wait until they are done with negotiations, its been 5 months already.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2015

10 sick
    3 personal

I have about 140 sick days 'in the bank' that I haven't used

9. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Sep 15, 2015

We get 8 sick/personal days to use at our discretion. They don't rollover at the end of the year. For any days beyond the 8 days, we got docked pay, even with a doctor's note.

I work at a private school.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 15, 2015

My school handbook says that teachers receive one sick leave day per month for a total of twelve days per year. I can use three sick days per year as personal days. That being said, I've accumulated over a month of sick time, and I might talk with HR about having to take a personal day for a religious holiday (Yom Kippur) and asking if that can be forgiven.

11. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 15, 2015

I wasn't even sure what my district does for this so I went to look it up. 12 sick days, 5 personal days. Sick days roll over and any unused personal days convert to sick days and roll over.

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2015

We have 12 sick, 3 personal (can have up to 5 total at any given time...but can cash out as many as you want). Also, since we have lunch in our classrooms unlike the rest of the district, we get an additional 3 release/planning days that we can use or cash out. In my first year I didn't end up using any, lol

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 16, 2015

Ours don't roll over but for 2. I can definitely understand why schools and districts would do that from their perspective, but I sure would love to be able to save up a bunch of days. Still, it gets me to use what I have regularly.

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 16, 2015

10 per year, given out once per month as the school year moves along. 3 of those days can be used for personal matters. All unused days roll over each year into the next. When you retire you can cash in your days or use them to retire early.

15. lcr

lcr Companion

Sep 16, 2015

We have 10 days that rollover, but if we use any days we are penalized on our evaluation. The state takes points off for each day we are absent. This could really hurt us, especially if our test scores aren't what they need to be. The state won't renew licenses for teachers marked ineffective and no one even understands the formula used for calculating our scores.