How many sick/personal days do you get?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LMichele, Nov 29, 2013.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 29, 2013

I was talking about this with my cousin at dinner yesterday, and thought it would be interesting to see the answers here.

I get 10 a year in September. There is technically a number of sick and a number of personal in that 10, but we are never asked which type of day we're taking unless we're out for more than 2 days, and then we need a doctor's note. We can carry over any days we don't use from year to year.

My old district we got 1 day per month at the start of the month.

My cousin's district gives 150 sick days (in a 180 day school year!) She isn't allowed to carry over from year to year.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 29, 2013

This is what we get.

It works out to 10 per year. They do roll over.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 29, 2013

I think it's 2 personal days and 11 sick days. I very rarely use any days though, so they just get piled up.

150 sick days? Are you sure that isn't part of some long-term disability deal?

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 29, 2013

Nope. There's an understanding that you don't abuse them, and the teachers are really good about adhering to that.

6. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Nov 29, 2013

One and a quarter sick days per month which equates to 15 days per school year. We get three personal days per year. If we don't use any personal days during the year we can earn an extra personal day to add on to the next year.
    Sick days do rollover to the next year and are unlimited. Personal days roll over to sick days if they aren't used.
    New this year is a bonus each semester if you don't use any sick time.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 29, 2013

10 sick days a year. They roll over.

3 personal days a year. Lots of restrictions (can't take more than 2 a semester, can't take the day before vacation, can't take during last 2 weeks of school, etc).

If we donate a sick day, we can participate in a sick leave pool.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 29, 2013

10 sick days--They roll over and can be cashed in on retirement.

1 personal day--It has to be preapproved and has restrictions on use. It will roll over to a sick day the next year.

2 emergency days--They are use or lose, for funerals, court, etc.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2013

We get around 15 sick days per year: 7 up front and about 1 per month every month after.

Our sick days roll over from year to year. I have about 100 saved up.

I always donate one day to the sick leave pool each year.

Our personal days are separate from sick days. They are complicated--how many personal days (if any) you get one year depends on how many sick days you took the year before. My understanding is that our new contract is going to have some changes to this policy, but I haven't seen it yet so I don't know. This year I didn't get any personal days because I was really sick last year and ended up taking about 8 sick days. Not having any personal days blows. :(

I can't get my head around the idea of 150 sick days per year. I guess I don't understand.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2013

Ours isn't spelled out.

If you're sick, you stay home. If you need a day off, you request one.

We're trusted not to abuse it.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2013

We used to get 20 sick days, no personal days, and were able to carry over any unused; I had over 175 days saved. With our new contract, we lost all of our saved days and now get 10 sick days and 5 "other"days (bereavement, family illness, convocation, moving), but no days can be carried over. I rarely took more than 2 or 3 days off a year; this year, I'll take closer to 10.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2013

Maybe your cousin means they can bank 150.

I get ten sick, 3 personal. My unused sick goes in a bank for extenuated serious illness, not for 'general use' ifyou use your ten. I can get paid for up to 180 unused sick when I retire. I have about 120 in the bank.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 29, 2013

I don't know what I get. I seldom take off so I haven't really looked into it.

A friend of mine worked for a big name bank and told me that with her promotion she got three months leave per year. It was expected that no one actually took that amount and none rolled over. I can't imagine 150 days out of 180.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2013

I would imagine you're allowed to bank up to 150, to allow for serious illness.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 29, 2013

I get five. They will roll over.

16. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Nov 29, 2013

10 total per year-6 can be used for personal.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 29, 2013

1.25 sick days per month. 15 per year. They roll over.

3 personal. They do not roll over. If we don't use any, we get an extra sick day the next year.

18. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2013

We get 5 personal days (local) 5 sick days ( local ) then we get 5 state days for sickness. Our personal days don't roll over. Our sick days do. I don't use up all my personal days ever. I might take 1/2 day here and there. As far as sick days I have only used maybe one or two a year if that much so I had quite a few saved up. A few weeks ago I used 5 sick days when my sisters baby was born early and I went to see her and the baby.

19. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Nov 29, 2013

We get 5 sick days and 2 personal days per year that roll over. I have 19 days saved up. 10 a year sounds like heaven!

20. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Nov 29, 2013

One sick day per month (equates to 10 per year and they DO carry over)

3 Personal days

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 29, 2013

10 sick days/3 personal days.

I think we can only bank up to 50 sick days now with the new contract. You used to be able to bank them all and retire early.

22. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 29, 2013

3 personal, 7 sick. The sick roll over, but the personal do not. 1 unused personal day = 1/2 a sick day rolled over.

23. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 29, 2013

We get 3 personal and 3 sick days. The sick days roll over. Actually, I think we can use more sick days, but if you use 3 or fewer then you get a $500 bonus at the end of the year.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2013

That sucks that all saved days were lost. :(

Do you mean you'll take closer to ten this year since they took your banked days and you can no longer carry them over? If so, I bet you're not the only one! Hope they have plenty of subs in the pool...

I get ten sick days, two personal, and two emergency days. I've never had to use an emergency day (very restricted) but I always use my personal days. I used to use my personal days for school functions, but I finally said screw that. ;)

Our sick days roll over and at retirement we're paid a percentage of their value.

I donate a sick day every year to the bank. Although I admit to being REALLY ANNOYED at the districtwide emails from those asking for days to be donated because no one ever seems appreciative. They don't participate in the program (those who participate don't need to ask as it's handled privately at the board) but still want or need to bum some days. "Please donate sick days because I am going to be having a baby soon." Yeah...no. I'm sure that makes me a meanie, but it's not like you're asking for fifty cents for a coke.

25. kab164

kab164 Companion

Nov 29, 2013

I get 10 sick days, we can accumulate a max of 180 which we would be paid for at retirement if we have enough years in. We get 3 personal days and can carry over two so the following year we have a full week. We also get comp time for doing recess or lunch. This year I have five personal and 6 or 7 comp days.

26. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Nov 29, 2013

I think 12 sick days. They roll over and we can accumulate up to 90.

I also get 1-4 personal days depending on how many sick days I have accumulated. The more sick days that have been saved up, the more personal days you get. They don't roll over but we get paid a little at the end of the year depending on how many were unused.

27. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 29, 2013

5 sick/5personal. Highly discouraged to take them :( sick days can be accumulated and returned for one year towards retirement, personal days go away.

28. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 29, 2013

Sick days: 10/year (they roll over to the next year if we don't use them)

Personal days: 3 BUT we have to pay $150 for the sub (for each day). These days do not roll over.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 29, 2013

None at my current job. I take off when I want, I just won't get paid for that day. As long as I don't take off on a regular basis, they don't care what I do.

30. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Nov 30, 2013

10 personal days, 10 sick days. They roll over.

31. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 30, 2013

3 personal and 15 sick days. The sick days roll over, and unused personal days roll over into sick days.

I wish we could donate sick days; we have several staff members out, probably for the rest of the year, due to cancer or car accidents, and unless you've been teaching awhile you will run out of sick days.

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 30, 2013

I know we get 2 personal days but not sure about the sick days. They roll over and right now I think I have 50 sick days saved up!

33. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 30, 2013

We get 1 personal day, but can 'earn' another one by doing 50 hours of extra-curricular activities with the students.

We get 20 sick days per year, which can roll over to a maximum of 120. Once we have 120 we don't get more until we use up 20.

34. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 30, 2013

We get 1.5 a month, and a maximum of a year's worth. I don't know how many I have left. I thought I would be in the hole after last year, I used three weeks with bronchitis, and then the better part of a month due to crippling arthritis. It helped that I only worked 3.5 days a week, so I didn't lose sick days as quickly.

35. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 30, 2013

I'm amazed by how much leave some people get! 10 personal days, wow! I always thought 10 total a year was pretty nice, but 20 a year? That's a whole month off for a job that already gets like 3 months off with summer and breaks (making a possibly wrong assumption that the other teachers who posted are also 10 month employees). That's extremely generous leave!

36. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 30, 2013

We only get one personal day. And we don't get that until next year.

37. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2013

10 days that roll over. 3 are personal days that require documentation (ie a wedding invitation or proof of a house closing)

38. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 30, 2013

Ew...you shouldn't have to document your personal days. They're PERSONAL days. AKA nobody's business.

39. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 30, 2013

We get 1 personal day per year which can roll over to 5.

We get 1 business day per year which does not roll over.

15 sick days per year that roll over to 120.

We also have 5 family illness days that do not roll over.

40. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Nov 30, 2013

We get 8 days a year (sick/personal combined). We're supposed to explain why we're missing the day on our leave request form. (Ahem, would you really like to know that I'm having a pap?) This is a fairly new school and we were originally told that they would roll over... Lie- they definitely don't, but they won't explicitly tell you that.

41. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Nov 30, 2013

10 sick days a year (they roll over, we can donate them and they used to be able to be used toward retirement but someone told me that was going away). I don't use my sick days because I really don't get sick. A couple of years ago, the flu knocked me on my butt and I was out for four straight days and I donated some about six years ago, so I'm really not sure exactly how much I have banked.

We get three personal days a year. These do not roll over. I never used them because I hate to be gone as it seems like more work to be gone then to be there. I have already used one this year and will probably use the other 2 because my classes are a killer this year.