How Many Sick Days?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, May 30, 2011.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 30, 2011

Friends,

I was wondering how many sick days/personal days you receive each school year? We get a total of 10 days each year (we can use them as either sick days or personal days). I just counted up how many I used this year, and I used 9 1/2! I didn't realize how unhealthy I've been this school year until I counted up all the days I've missed! Yikes! :dizzy:

~YTG

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 30, 2011

We get 10 as well, and they roll over to the next year if we don't use them!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

We get 15 per year. I, along with most other teachers, donate one to the sick leave pool, leaving me with 14. If we don't use them, they roll over. We also get one flex day.

Besides having them accrue year after year, another incentive to avoid taking sick days is that the number of next year's personal days is determined by how many sick days we use this year. If I don't use any sick days this year, I get four additional personal days next year, on top of the flex day and all the sick days.

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 30, 2011

We get 5 up front and have to earn the rest throughout the year (an additional 5). If I only had 1 hour left and I was sick, I lost pay. This happened last week but yet now, I have 3.67 hours....debating whether or not to take a 1/2 day off before school is out on Friday.....

We cannot cash them out or give them to someone else..except for the sick leave bank but we are required to donate 3 days if we want to be involved in the sick bank. This needs to be done every year otherwise we don't get the benefits if we qualify.

We are also told they are SICK days and nothing else even though our subfinder system states them as "general leave" and so does the paperwork.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 30, 2011

We get 10. 4 personal necessity days. For every 20 days of sick leave we accumulate, we can take 1 "no tell" day where we don't have to give a reason.

This year all I've taken were two no-tell days. Not sick once.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 30, 2011

We get thirteen anytime days. They are to be used just as it sounds, for anything, sick or personal.

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 30, 2011

We get a lot....the teachers who have been there for a long time actually have unlimited sick days, the contract was changed a few years ago for new hires. It sounds crazy, but people don't abuse it.

My moms school gets 15, then they roll over each year, when you reach 200, you can sell back anything over that...since she doesn't get sick, each year she gets about $2000 from selling back her unused sick and personal days.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 31, 2011

We get 1 a month. I have enough accumulated that I could be sick for months. I think I have only used about 5 in 15 years. I could put some in a sick leave bank which I think I will this year, but I am a little scared to do it - my mom used 11 months of sick leave before she died - all at full pay which really helped make her last months worry-free in that regard.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 31, 2011

I get ten a year, plus two personal days. I have used exactly 2.5 in my six years teaching. I used one when my grandmother died, one because I was actually sick, and one to leave work early and go to a football game out of town that was important to my husband.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

Ours aren't spelled out. When we're sick, we call in. When we're well, we come in.

I've called in when my kids were sick. This year I haven't had a sick day of my own, but that's just a matter of luck.

Three years ago I missed a month following surgery, then had to leave early every day for a month and a half for radiation. I also missed a few sick-child days. I was never made to feel as though I were a burden or pushing my luck. Then again, before I had kids, I had a number of years where I didn't miss a single day.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

We get 20 sick days a year, and unused accumulate. We don't get personal days. I typically use 2 or 3 a year.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 31, 2011

We get 10 sick, 2 emergency, and 1 personal each year. The sick roll over if unused. The emergent are use or lose. He personal rolls over as a sick day.

Some years I don't use any days. One year I used 45 days. Another year I used a little over 30. I rarely use a personal day or emergency day.

I have donated a few days here and there. I have 59.5 days banked. My personal day will roll over this year as well.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

We have 13 sick and 2 personal. Our sick days roll over from year to year and our unused personal become sick days. We do have a sick leave bank and we only donate once to be involved.

Prior to children, I would use 0-1 sick days. With my little one, I used my sick days for maternity leave. This year, I've taken 3 sick days to watch my little one (she was sick).

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 31, 2011

We get a lot. 10 sick days and another 10 days for family leave days (family sick) and we earn 2 personal days a year. If you don't use them you we get a bonus on our june ck. I got an extra 1200 dollars take home pay the last several year. I won't get the bonus this year as I had pneumonia in Feb and have used 4 of my personal days to fly back to Mississippi. Hardly anyone abuses the days....the bonus is summer vacation.

16. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

May 31, 2011

I get 10 Sick Days a Year, 3 Personal Days.

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 31, 2011

We get 10 sick days that roll over if not used. If you're tenured in the district then you get to use 3 of them as personal days. If you're not tenured you only get to use 2 of them as personal days. Those personal days do not roll over as personal days the following year.

18. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 31, 2011

We get 10 sick days a year and 2 personal days. If we don't use the personal days, they can roll over into sick days. We are only allowed to carry over 100 sick days to the next school year. I have 84.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

In my district last year, it was 10. In my current district, it's 6. :( Being a (temp) single parent, this was quite difficult this year.

20. TheBagLady

TheBagLady Rookie

May 31, 2011

Wow- this year we had 10 to be used as sick or personal. I think I ended the year with only one left. I was sick so much and came to school sick many days! I can't imagine having less or only 6. I'm still single with no kiddos, too. I think first year teaching stress kept me from fighting infections and getting well as I normally would.

21. mkate

mkate Comrade

May 31, 2011

We get as many as we need, but each one has to be justified with a Dr's note. We can't take off for a sick child.

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 31, 2011

We have 10 sick days, and only 1 personal day. I wish we had more personal days...They are really strict with our sick days. We really have to be sick to use one, and HR always questions people. There are at least 3 or 4 times a year when I wish I had a day off for something, like a wedding rehearsal dinner.

23. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 31, 2011

We get 15 sick and 3 personal. We can roll over all of our sick, unlimited, and 2 personal days. We can have a total of 5 personal days during the year, but no more. I have 5 right now, and if I don't roll over 3 into sick days by the end of this school year, I will lose them. If we take more than 1 personal day at a time, we have to have board approval. I've only taken 2 days off this year! One when my son was sick, and the other for a "mental health day"!

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 31, 2011

We get five that roll over.

25. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 31, 2011

We get 5 sick days and five personal each year. The personal roll over and turn to sick leave. The sick leave also rolls over. After 11 years in this district I have about 80 or more sick days. I only got seriously ill the first few years teaching.

26. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 1, 2011

10 sick days and 2 personal. They roll over but you can't start the year with more than 4 personal days. If you end the year with more than 2 personal days they switch over as sick days. Sick days can be cashed out at retirement, but only for $50 per day.

I have 19 sick days remaining, so I've used 11 sick days in 3 years.

27. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 1, 2011

We get 5 sick days and 5 personal. Anything you don't use gets rolled over but stays in the same category.

I started the year with 13 (some rollover from last year). I'm ending the year with 4.5 that will roll over to next year, so next year I'll have 14.5 that I can use.

I missed 8.5 days: 4 for dental work, 3 because I was sick with fever, 1/2 day for travel to professional conference and one for a doctor's appointment I think.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2011

We get 10. I used none of them this year.
    We also get 3 personal days. I took 2.

29. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 2, 2011

We get 20 sick days, which can be used for medical appointments as well. We get 1 personal to use at our own discretion.

Our unused sick days roll over to the next year, and I think we can accumulate 120 in total.

30. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 2, 2011

We get 5 and that's it. Whatever we don't use, we are paid for at the end of the year and can't roll them over. Thankfully, my girls don't get sick often (my oldest has had perfect attendance every year so far) or my husband can work from home if the youngest is sick so it works out. I managed to only miss one day this year with strep myself and took a few half days off to be at school events with my girls. I ended up being paid for 1.5 of mine not used up.

31. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2011

Wow, you get basiacelly 10 discretional days!

We get 12 weeks holiday from school. If we are sick then we can take time off. We are allowed 5 days off without a doctor's note, any longer and we need a certificate from the Doc. However if you have a lot of time off you will get called in for an interview and possibly your employment will be terminated. If we are seriously ill then we get full pay for the first 6 months then half pay for the next 6.

32. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

Jun 2, 2011

We get a standard 10 days, then we accumulate extra days over the course of the year. I only needed to take 2 days off so far this year- one for bad weather, and the other was 'cause I got in a fender bender and had to get my car fixed...

33. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jun 2, 2011

So if your child is sick he will have to stay sick because your school can't understand that when a parent has to take care of a sick child, they have to take off?

34. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 2, 2011

we get 15 days, plus 3 personal, the personal have to be taken or lost adn the sick roll over. This year I have taken 8 or 9 sick days also, but mostly because my girls were sick.

I have had many years that I never took a sick day, so that when i went on maternity leave I was able to use saved up sick days, that was great!