How many sick and/or personal days do you have right now?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 3, 2012.

?

How many sick and/or personal days do you have right now?

1. 0-15

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. 16-30

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. 31-50

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. 51-75

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. 76-100

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. More than 100

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2012

Thanks for sharing!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2012

In my district, we get 14 or 15 sick days per year with the option to donate one to the sick leave pool (which I always do). All unused sick days roll over indefinitely.

We also get one flex day every year.

We may or may not get personal days. The number of personal days we get every year depends on how many sick days we used the previous year. For example, since I didn't use any sick days last year, I got 4 personal days to use this year, which is the max. Had I used a couple of sick days last year, I would have gotten 2 personal days this year. Had I used more sick days, I would have gotten 0 personal days this year. Personal days do not roll over. If we don't use them I think we get around $100 per unused personal day. I've always taken all my personal days.

Right now I have 71 sick days in the bank. I should be getting 5 more sick days before the end of the year (we earn about one per month). Besides that I have 1 flex day and 4 personal days to use for whatever reason this year.

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2012

We do not have a difference between personal and sick days. We get to use the days we have however we choose and they roll over from year to year.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2012

I get 10 sick and 3 personal per year. I've used one sick day this year. I have more than 100 sick days 'in the bank' if needed. My district pays for up to 180 unused sick days at retirement.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2012

That's awesome! Mine pays for unused sick days at retirement as well, but I don't know how much or if there is a limit to the number of days. I'm also not sure if we get paid for them if we resign from the district, but I think we do.

When I was a student teacher, my cooperating teacher had more than 350 unused sick days in the bank. I don't think she ever took a sick day even once. While I was there, a representative from the school corporation (district) came and met with my CT to negotiate a sick-day buyout. I think my CT sold maybe 200 of her sick days for something like $15,000. That was one of the most memorable lessons I learned as a student teacher--that it pays to save up your sick days.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 3, 2012

I have 22 sick days, 1 1/2 personal days, and 2 leave an hour early days. It has taken me 3 school years to build this up as I exhausted the 4 previous years' time on maternity leave! My district will pay you for up to 100 sick days at retirement, at the whopping rate of 1/2 the daily rate of sub pay (so roughly $25.)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2012

We don't do "leave an hour early days". Is that standard practice in your district? Do you feel like those days are useful?

And at $25 per day, I think I'd rather just take the sick days. It's kind of insulting, really. :(

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 3, 2012

We get 10 days every year that rollover. You can use them for sick days or personal days, but they're not "personal" days as most districts see them. You can't just decide to take a day off whenever you want and call it one of your personal days, and we're not allowed to use them for travel or "recreation." They say they scan ski passes to make sure people didn't use their personal day to go skiing. I'm not sure if that's actually true or not, but that's what they say. I could actually see that being a big problem up here. Personal days have to be for something important that you can't do at any other time. Given the high number of employees that are originally from out of state, many people travel for holidays so they've made it so that you can't take days off the day before or after a break or it's unpaid leave.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2012

That's really tough. My district is similar in that most teachers are transplants from other places. I think only like 7% of the population of my city is native to the city, and that percentage is reflected in the school district as well. Thankfully there aren't really any limitations as to when we can use our personal days, except that we are discouraged from using them during proficiency testing and during finals.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 3, 2012

I have 76.5 sick days and 5 personal...but after the first personal I have to pay $65 a day...then 1/180 of my salary for any after five.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 3, 2012

Also all personal days have to be submitted in writing a week prior and has to have the approval from the principal.

13. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jan 3, 2012

We get between 10 and 15 sick days per year, depending on length of service. I think we get to 15 days within 5 years. We also get 2 personal days per year. If we don't take any personal days, they roll over as unused sick days.

At retirement, the state allows us to use 180 or 340 sick days to increase our retirement benefit, which adds 1 or 2 years of service to the teacher's record.

14. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jan 3, 2012

We are also restricted on how a personal day can be used. We have to get a doctor's note after using 3 consecutive sick days too.

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2012

I think I have about 6 months worth and I just donated a month to another teacher with cancer because her leave ran out.

16. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 3, 2012

we get five sick days and five personal days every year and anything you don't use rolls over. I've been teaching for four years and I currently have 13 days banked. If I don't use any of those, I'll have 23 next year. In Texas, districts no longer pay for unused days so it's become standard practice to use them all the year you plan to retire. For example, if I knew I was going to retire this year and I had 90 days left, then I would get a long term sub for the rest of this semester after I put in my retirement papers.

17. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 4, 2012

We can take an unpaid personal day (maybe more), and as many sick days as we need with a doctor's note. The sick days used to be paid at 100%, but now there are changes afoot-- up to the first three consecutive days may be unpaid (that part is up in the air), but then the rest, in case of an extended absence, will only be paid 40%.

18. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 4, 2012

We have 6 personal days per school year and in case we are ill we have the necessary days given by Doctors (of course w their notes) , all these days are paid.
    Last year I took 5 personal days at a school and 3 at the other.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2012

There are no set numbers in my school.

If you're sick, you stay home. There was a period (mostly before kids) I went several consecutive years without calling in sick... somehow I always got sick during weekends or vacations. Then there were times when it felt I was home as much as I was in school. I'ts never been a problem.

As to personal days, we drop a note to the principal. For example, Brian will be confirmed on a Thursday in April. I got the date just before Christmas, and requested it off. I got the OK later that day.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2012

We get 20 sick days per year that accumulate if not used. We don't get personal days, but are able to use a sick day for a funeral, a child's university graduation, etc. We are able to apply for an unpaid leave for a variety of reasons(I did it a few years ago when Lauren's soccer team was in the National Championship in PEI), but not for vacation. We may be asked to produce a doctor's note if we are absent the day before or after a holiday.

21. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 4, 2012

We get 10 sick days a year and 2 personal days. In addition, I get 10 vacation days to take in the summer. If you don't use the personal days, you lose them. If I don't use them during the school year, I use them in the summer so I don't just lose them.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 4, 2012

I get two personal days and a ton of sick days. Sick days are rarely taken because of the way I work, so I only give in if I'm unable to call students. I wish I could convert some of those unused sick days, but they don't carry over to the next year.

23. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012

Wow, so many differences in the amount of days people recieve and the restrictions/lack there of for different districts.
    Ours roll over and we can continue to build them up, but I do not believe we get any compensation for unused days in the end. Maybe if we retire from the district, but not if we just leave at any point. So it is use it or lose it. I plan on using them all before I leave.

24. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jan 4, 2012

I get 6 sick and 4 personal days per year that just keep accumulating. I have around 25 days right now. There's no charge for using them.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2012

We get 5 sick days and 3 personal days. Being a 'single' mom the past two years have exhausted all my days between myself getting sick and having to take off for my daughter when she's been sick.

26. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 4, 2012

I really don't know how many days I get, but I think it's twelve a year. My last job also had twelve, but since I worked from home, it didn't really matter. I just wouldn't work that day if I didn't feel well. The only time it would matter is if I was on a school visit, and with the costs associated with traveling, it didn't matter if you were sick. You just went (unless of course you were really, really sick).

27. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Jan 4, 2012

I receive 10 sick days, 1 personal day, and 2 emergency days per year. I currently have 19 sick days. I took one day off last year, and one day off this year. I did not use my personal day last year, so it turned into a sick day for this year.

28. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jan 4, 2012

I get 3 personal days and 14 sick days per year. Unused personal days transfer to sick days and unused sick days accumulate. I currently have 220 sick days.

29. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 4, 2012

84 sick, and 3 personal right now.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2012

We get ten sick days per year and two personal days. We also have a couple emergency days which I believe you're only permitted to use if the world is ending. All sick and personal days roll over while emergency days do not. We are paid for a portion of unused sick days when we retire.

I have thirty-five sicks days and half a personal day. I used my personal days for what should have been professional days, but...it is what it is. I just looked up my last paystub to answer this question and I'm suprised I don't have more sick days. I donate one per year, but I'm not often out. One or two sick episodes can really drain your bank lf days, though.

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2012

5 sick/personal days a semester. Whatever days aren't used are paid at the end of the semester as a bonus. I quite like it since I almost am never sick or gone.

32. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 4, 2012

We get 10 sick days each year. If we need a personal day, it comes directly out of our sick time.

The sicks days keep rolling over (year after year) if you don't use them up.

I believe I have about 20-25 sick days saved up. Last year, I used 12 sick days due to several episodes of strep throat/tonsillitis. After getting a tonsillectomy this past summer, though, I never get sick.

33. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Jan 4, 2012

I have 124 hours of sick time as of the new year.. I donated 1.5 days to the sick leave bank... hence the wierd hour total.

34. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 4, 2012

Yeah it's really frustrating especially during short holidays like Thanksgiving. For those of us flying out- it's a lot cheaper to fly earlier in the week than it is right before the holiday. They do it because if everyone took those days off (which a lot of people would) there would be no subs. We have a hard time getting subs as it is and many sub days go unfilled. It's annoying to me because I don't even get a sub if I'm absent, but I understand that they can't just let me go and then tell everyone else they can't.

35. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jan 4, 2012

I have at least 76 sick days right now and 3 personal days. We earn 1 1/4 sick days per month, and get 3 personal days per school year. Sick days roll over each year, unused personal days convert to sick days, and there is a buyout up to a certain percentage of days at retirement.

A previous contract or school (can't remember which) allowed us to be paid for unused personal days.

I've used sick days during maternity leave (twice) and occasional days off for personal illness. I've missed for a funeral before and of course all of my prenatal visits for 3 pregnancies, and sometimes for my kiddos. Most of my sick days are used for preventative visits as opposed to illness, but they're all called sick days. I rarely miss, as it is so difficult to prepare for a sub and return to the mess left behind. I'm a saver by nature, so I like to see my number grow.

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2012

Per year? That's 8 sick days a month!:dizzy:

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2012

czacza, I think she's indicating how much she has banked. :)

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2012

I'm figuring that's it....