How many schools have you taught in?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yellowdaisies, Jun 9, 2013.

1. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 9, 2013

Wow... I guess I'm the weird one doing 6 schools in 6 years. Here's how it worked:

Year 1 - Short-term LTS at school A for October followed by an LTS for the rest of the year at school B
    Year 2 - Split my time between school B and school C in a behaviour intervention position
    Year 3 - LTS at school D from September-December then took over for a teacher for the rest of the year at school B
    Year 4 - School B all year
    Year 5 - LTS at school B from September-mid-December then straight into an LTS at school E for the rest of the year
    Year 6 - Split between school B and F

So as you can see, I haven't had a full year without being at school B for some portion of time.

2. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 9, 2013

2 schools and this will be my 5th year of teaching. I don't plan on leaving my new school anytime soon.

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2013

2 schools in 6 years. First school was what I thought a "dream" job. It was in the district i grew up and graduated from. That is until I got there. My kids and my sister all went there. I knew everyone, loved the teachers. I thought I had hit the mark and found my forever teaching home. Then I get there and the principal who I didn't get along with personally made it a nightmare to work there. I left and didn't teach a year. My 2 school I love. Most of the people I work with are amazing educators. There are still those who shouldn't be teaching and those who want to but for whatever reason still are but for the most part it's an awesome campus. We got a new principal last year. I was a bit nervou ( really I was a lot nervous ) but it has been great for me.

4. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jun 9, 2013

5 years and 1 school. And I really don't ever see anything changing unless something drastic happens.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 9, 2013

From my casual observations, it seems that staying in one school for most of one's career was not uncommon. But now I see teachers moving around more often, some returning to school, and others displaced by layoffs. But then again this seems to be the trend in many sectors, not just education.

6. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 9, 2013

2 schools in 5 years. My first school I was an associate teacher, which (for various reasons) is a three year program at that school. Since there were no openings in my third year, I sought employment elsewhere. I'll probably be at my current school for a couple more years. I'm hoping to find a school closer to home after that.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 9, 2013

Next year will be my third school in four years! I loved my first school, but absolutely hated the location. It was very isolated and VERY family oriented. I didn't have any friends who weren't married and people brought their spouses AND kids to absolutely everything- even after work happy hours! The nearest non-grocery shopping was two hours away and any basic service other than one grocery store was at least an hour away. I stayed for two years because I knew I had lucked out in terms of the admin and school environment but just couldn't handle living there anymore.

This year I'm in the city which I'm thrilled about, but I ended up working for an absolutely awful admin. We had about 50% turnover- many teachers resigned before they even had anything lined up because they just knew they couldn't go back there.

Next year I'm working for a district that's supposedly a lot better...I'm hoping that anything will be a walk in the park after this year! I do feel like I need to stop moving around because it would look bad on a resume, especially since none of my moves were due to the economy/budget cuts. My parents are both teachers and they were just saying the other day that I'll probably never have an entire career in just one school/district like they both have with the teaching profession being so much less secure these days.

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 9, 2013

I have been teaching for 6 years (first two were long-term sub positions) and at the same school! 5 of those years have been in the same grade/same classroom! I feel very fortunate and don't anticipate ever wanting to switch schools (or grades!) :)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2013

I'm at my 4th school since 1997, but I've been in my current school for13 years...the first few changes were due to a move to a new state, then moved from private to public and then last change to a better fit of a job and district for me.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 9, 2013

I'm having that problem now, but for the opposite reasons you listed - my current school forces us to live in a location that is TOO "city" (and expensive!) for us. I remember reading through your situation, and I really hope my admin is as supportive as yours was when I ask them for rec letters and tell them I'm thinking of leaving! There is no guarantee I would get another job - a clear credential and 2 years of experience would hopefully make me more marketable, but I am in a TOUGH TOUGH market, and I hope it wouldn't be awkward to stay for another year (or more!) after letting them know I'm looking elsewhere. :unsure:

It's interesting that most people don't stay at the same school! I'm weighing my options about what to do when my credential clears (2 years teaching in CA). I'm glad I have a job I love, but I'm finding that if you don't like the location, the job can't totally make up for that, no matter how much I want it to!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2013

One school for me so far.

12. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Jun 9, 2013

2 schools, 19 years...4 classroom changes, 3 grade level changes.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 9, 2013

2 schools - 3 years in school #1 and 6 years in school #2 (I am ready for a change though). I did work for 7 years with a private school where I was a special ed. consultant for special needs students in kg. in the public school system.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 9, 2013

4 schools in 9 years. School #1 I left after a year because I moved states. I was at school #2 for 3 years then transferred to school #3 in the same district to work for a better admin. I stayed at school #3 for 3 years then switched districts where I have been at school #4 for the last 2 years. I love my current school and hope to be there for many more years!

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 9, 2013

I have taught at three schools in eight years. I left my first school because I moved to a new state. I left my second school due to an involuntary transfer 3 years in (we lost half the school's population due to re-zoning). I have been at my current school 4 going on 5 years. I think leaving is good. It recharges some teaachers,

If my team leaves I would leave for sure. I'm considering leaving now because I am feeling extremely stressed out from the pressure of the admin