How many schools did you interview with before getting a job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacher2020, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Teacher2020

Teacher2020 New Member

Apr 15, 2014

How many did you interview with before getting a job?

Last spring and summer, I interviewed with over 20 schools and ended up with only a one-year leave replacement position (which started several weeks into the school year). While I had some related experienced and had worked as a professional in other fields, I just graduated last August with a MEd and teaching certification.

This year, I have already been notified that there will be no positions in the district and am again applying to jobs. I've very afraid that again, while I may have interviews, I won't really get a job or I won't get a job at all.

As of Wednesday, I will have interviewed at 7 different schools and been rejected at 5 of the schools (and essentially rejected because I haven't heard back from another). I was told in the past that I interview well, but some of the rejections come even 24 hours after interview which is hard to understand and frustrating. I fear that the interviews will never lead to anything.

How many interviews did you go on before you got a job?

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2014

The first time I was looking for a job I just went on a handful of interviews. I then got what I thought would be my dream job for life. Working in the district that I grew up in and my kids attended. Wow was I ever wrong. I worked for them for two years and then I resigned. The second time I was looking for a job I probably sent out over 150 resumes and had at least 20 interviews. I finally got what I think is my dream job in another town all together. I love my school and my job. Keep looking, I know it's hard and discouraging but you will find a spot. Good luck in the job search!!!!!

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Apr 15, 2014

My first year interviewing, I had 11 interviews before landing a 1 year temporary position in late August. The next year I had 14 interviews before landing my current position in mid-July. The year of experience led to a higher interview rate, but did not seem to improve my interview success rate. I ended up at a school I am very happy at, and am very glad to not be at many of the schools that didn't hire me, though I would have taken any of those jobs.

5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Apr 15, 2014

At least you are getting interviews. I was called once last summer but I was out of town. I'm going to my first screening interview in a few days. I've been waiting 5 yrs...it's come to the point where an interview would be a good thing whether I got a job or not. People out there are having it a little worse than you. But good luck to you. I do hope you get a job as the rest of us! =) Stay hopeful!

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 15, 2014

I was very lucky, fortunate, and blessed. I interviewed at 3 schools. They were as follows and in order:

1.) The high school where I had my internship.
    2.) The high school where I taught summer school. (hometown)
    3.) The place where I am working now.

So after graduating with my M.A. Ed. degree, I interviewed at 3 places and landed a full-time teaching position teaching middle school math.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 15, 2014

Last year I applied for 4 jobs, got 2 interviews and 1 job offer.
    I think it worked out like this because I was very specific about what I wanted and only applied at those schools, I didn't send out resumes all over (although I know that can work as well).

I wanted alternative ed, and they usually don't have that many positions open, but they don't have as many applicants either. I was very qualified for all those positions, even though I only had 2 years subbing experience (1 year was LTS), it was good enough because I at least had experience with at-risk youth. Fit is very important with this type of jobs, so they might choose me over someone with 5 years experience if they think I'm a better fit.

BTW I was still surprised the other 2 didn't call me for interviews lol.
    These 4 jobs were out of the area, and I was willing to move, otherwise I'd still be subbing probably.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2014

1st time job seeking- 3 schools. I was offered a job before I heard back from one of them, so I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't called them to inform them.

2nd time job seeking- over 30 districts before finally landing a mid year position. With 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round interviews, I was in the 50-60 range.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 15, 2014

Last year I think I literally did at least 12 interviews (not including job fair or "screening" interviews) before being offered a position. I was looking for about two months and kept being told I was a "close second." Then I got 3 offers in one week! The year before I had been looking because I was relocating and I only had to interview at one school before getting the offer. It's amazing how much more competitive it had gotten in just one year. Thankfully, I love the school I'm at now and will not be searching this year :).

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2014

My first year looking~too many to count
    Second time~just a few as I wanted to stay in a small radius
    For this new job~3 districts

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2014

Teacher 2020 ....Sounds like you might need to polish your interviewing skills. Your resume and cover are getting you interviews but for whatever reason you aren't getting the offer...
    Tell us a bit about your interviews, vibe, dress, questions, answers...

My style has always been to treat interviews like a conversation...I actually enjoy interviewing...kind of like a cocktail party without drinks (a reference to our friend, aliceacc)...I've been fortunate to land the jobs in my teaching career with very few interviews.

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 15, 2014

First time - I can't remember but I sent out well over 200 resumes. I mailed some, faxed some, I may have both mailed and faxed the same school. I only got a handful of interviews maybe 5? I got my first job right before the school year at a job fair.

Second time - it was the same although I interviewed only twice offered both jobs but the first fell through and the second came a few weeks later.

Third time - too many resumes to count, but less than 200. I went on about 5 interviews. I was offered 1 job and that fell through again (let's hire so and so's niece instead) AFTER I quit my job and couldn't take it back. So I became a sub.

I feel like this is still my third time since I never stopped searching since June last year. But from October-Jan I had applied to maybe 20 jobs and had 5 of those contact me with multiple rounds so like 10 interviews. No offers.

So for the 2014-15 school year I've probably sent about 20 more resumes online and handed about 30+ resumes at 2 job fairs. So far I've gotten 3 interviews 2 have already rejected me.

13. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Apr 15, 2014

I don't know how many interviews I had looking for my first job but I would guess 20-30. I know several weren't doing second round interviews but I never got to a second round. It was very disheartening because I was lucky to be getting interviews but no one wanted to hire me after the interview. After 2 years of looking I finally got a job offer in one school, with another large district promising me a job but they couldn't tell me which school I would be in yet.

After a few years of teaching experience I tried again and interviewed maybe 6-7 places and received 2 offers. I had the idea out of some of the other locations that I was being interviewed to reach a quota of interviews and positions were already filled.

I do wish you the best of luck as I know that can be hard. I will say that one mistake I made in my first teaching job hunt was I tried to answer interview questions with general statements that I thought the interviewer wanted to hear. I was desperate and playing it way too safe. Another suggestion that may help that I did my second time around was I looked on these boards and typed out my answers to common interview questions I found on here. I am fairly modest and hate talking about myself. When I wrote questions out I knew there were some questions that would most likely be asked that I would shine on. It also gave me a great way to organize the specific stories I wanted to tell about my teaching in the interview.

Good luck to you!

14. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Apr 15, 2014

For my first job, I was offered the job after my very first and only interview. Which was nice, because I hadn't been as active as I should have in putting out my applications.

When I left that school, I went on about 14 interviews before I was offered my current job.

15. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Apr 20, 2014

When searching for my first teaching job, I applied to over 100 school districts and had 37 interviews, including several second and third round interviews. This was the year that my state cut funding though, so competition was fierce since many teachers were laid off. I finally got hired 5 weeks into the school year and actually had two schools fighting over me (it was a joint interview).

The second time I was job hunting I had seven interviews before being hired.

Last year, I had one interview and was hired.

This year, I've had 3 interviews (two for the same position), and I'm expecting an official offer this week.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2014

Had an offer before my student teaching placement was complete but interviewed at a more desirable school and was offered that job, too.

17. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2014

1. I went to a job fair at my grad school and was offered a job on the spot for my current district.

Still, I applied to at least 20 other districts. And, unlike some people, I chose to only apply to very large, urban/inner-city districts along the East Coast and in the South; places with tons of teachers and probably lots of openings. Now, none of these were "ideal" districts - they're all pretty rough and problematic - but it got me a job.

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 20, 2014

2012 - 2 at a job fair, 1 for my current job.

2014 - 2. Got an offer for a demo lesson for the first interview, but had already accepted the offer from the second interview.

I've always been incredibly fortunate...:blush:

19. Teacher2020

Teacher2020 New Member

May 12, 2014

Thanks for all the responses. I've now had interviews with 13 different schools this year and I've gotten some positive feedback, but still no job offer. I am thankful for the interviews, but the rejection is tough. It is hard not to worry that, at this point, I won't get anything for next year.

20. blake

blake Rookie

May 12, 2014

I was first looking for a job during the 2010 - 2011 school year. During the entire year I only had 5 interviews. Received a job offer on the 5th interview in August of 2011 two weeks before school started. I was looking for a job for the 2012-2013 and interviewed at 2 schools and received an offer from both. I've been at the same school 2 years now and was looking to move closer to home for next school year. I had one interview in April and received a job offer.

Also, I'd like to note that for all four job offers I received I was offered the position the same day for 3 positions and the next day for the fourth position. I've never had to wait longer than a day to find out.

21. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 13, 2014

I actually stopped counting because it just got too depressing-there were at least 20. I think I was meant to end up where I am though-it was worth the wait. ;)

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 13, 2014

My first year I had 4 interviews and landed a LTS job for the year. My second year I had 1 interview at the school I was LTSing in and was offered a permanent contract. Every year since then I have applied closer to home and have had 0 interviews.

23. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 13, 2014

I got the first job I interviewed for as well... Since then, there have been maybe four unsuccessful interviews, and two successful ones, so I guess I'm three for seven.

24. willow129

willow129 Comrade

May 13, 2014

My first job hunt, after finishing student teaching and getting my Bachelors in Music Ed, I applied to over 30 jobs, I stopped counting after that - I didn't hear back from any of them. I started taking grad classes and subbing which helped me get some contacts. I then got 3 interviews:

1 at a preschool that wanted someone like less than one day a week and also they wanted someone who spoke Spanish and I didn't. I don't even usually count this as an interview cuz it was such an incredibly part-time job.
    1 panel interview, I know they interviewed a ton of people.
    1 at the job I currently work at.

Now I'm looking at jobs again, I've applied to 9 schools (I am being a bit picky about place and age range) and gotten 2 interviews (one of which is tomorrow). No job offers yet.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 13, 2014

When I switched to special ed I got the first teaching assistant job I applied for then I got a teaching job without even applying (they just asked me if I wanted the job since I just got certified in special ed). Before special ed I went on about 20 interviews before getting a LTS job in 7-12 English.
    When I got my current job I had only gone on 3 interviews in about 5 months time. Right now my school is very selective in hiring and usually has 50 applicants for one position. It just depends on the area and need at the time. It's still early so you could get an offer!! Good Luck!

26. miles2go4u

miles2go4u Rookie

May 13, 2014

As a first year teacher, one interview, got an offer. (this was before everything was so competitive and budgets were awful)
    4 years experience after being a SAHM for 3 years, 10 interviews, 2 offers.
    11 years experience, 4 interviews, job offer from first 2.

27. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

May 13, 2014

Last year I had two screening interviews for two different districts and then I had four interviews for teaching positions at four different schools and had no offers. I had one interview for a para position at a fifth school which I accepted.

This year I have reactivated my applications in four different districts and a charter school. I have applied for thirty-six different positions spread out over those districts and the charter school and have not been called in for an interview.

I think that a lot of the hiring that gets done at this point in the season is happening within districts. Those of us who have had to apply as external applicants (especially those of us with little or no contract teaching experience) get our big shots in late June and August.

Good luck!
    Sheilah

28. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

May 13, 2014

So much of the hiring process is internal with school districts.

I just got certified up here in Oregon, and I am having an extremely rough time even making the cut for a teaching interview. I am an experienced teacher with a master's degree.