How many school related dreams have you had?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

Every summer or winter break I have a few school related dreams. Usually they start as the time goes by and school is getting closer; I guess it's a way for me to know that my subconscious is already dealing with it.

During the past week and a half I had about 3 maybe 4 that included my P, and maybe a student here and there, totally unrealistic, I was back in my childhood town (in Hungary).

One time my P came over to my house and started baking pies. She baked like 15-20 pies, left, came back and baked some more lol. I actually looked up what it might mean, and I got that pies in dream mean "rewards for hard work" or "getting my fair share". Baking can mean "making things happen" "being creative". I figured this might mean that I will get what I want (which is up to her): teaching a CAHSEE English class, and not geography lol. Of course I don't put too much into these dreams but it's fun analyzing them and see what they mean. Usually I'm pretty good at figuring out the meaning.

Then last night I had the usual recurring dream I had many times: school is back in session, kids are coming in, I'm totally not ready, lessons are not done, even the chairs and desks are all over the place, and I have no idea what we're going to do. In last night's dream I was looking at the cl;ock, we had 5 minutes until class started, but I somehow remained calm, didn't freak out, and came up with something :) In the past it was always me standing there not knowing what to do (or P came in, saw chaos, I just stood there and woke up). And this time I was teaching CAHSEE English; we'll see if it comes through lol
    I think this might mean that I"m getting much more confident and comfortable with going with the flow, but there's the underlying stress that I still need to get everything situated.

Have you had dreams like this?

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2015

I don't have school dreams during the Christmas breaks but have some really weird ones right before school starts in August. This past summer it about my old school. They turned it into a tourist spot, with the school on the first level and a night club on the top. I kept trying to get to the night club but never could find my way. Kept going in circles. I took it to mean that I would never have made it as a teacher there. Too many things going against me. The going in circles part. I feel very successful where I am at now. Even if I am not in the grade level I prefer.

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 1, 2015

Sorry, but this made me lol! Reminds me of a joke the teachers at my previous school had. We always said we were going to pool our money for a margarita machine in the lounge. :whistle:

My dreams are usually about me waking up late or not being prepared when my students walk in.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2015

I had a terrible school dream a week ago or so. All these random children kept walking into my classroom and disrupting everything and refusing to leave. I had zero control of the classroom and it was a huge mess. I went over to tell some kids they had to leave and one of them was the AP and I was so nervous that they were going to fire me because I had no classroom management!

I've had other school dreams, but that was the most realistic and the most frightening! :eek:

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

The ones when everything is a mess, chaotic, P walks in, I don't know what is going on are always so realistic. Everything looks the way it does in real life, even the students and everyone in it and nothing stands out as odd. That's why those are scarier.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

I have 'em all the time!!!

The last dream I had involved my office manager. In the dream, I told her I got bad vibes from her since day one! It's the truth, though!

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 1, 2015

I have at least one dream EACH night about school. It sucks, that's why I say I live my job 24/7.

I had one last week that was really weird. I was teaching in a different (really long) room, with different kids. And I had a sub in there (already) and my teeth started falling out. My students stopped working and were staring at me and I was like "What? It's just teeth!" Then I went over to the sub and I was like: "Should I go to the dentist? Would it be okay for me to leave you with the kids?" She told me to go. So I went to the emergency room because it was Christmas Eve (don't ask me why we were having school on Christmas Eve) and they started calling all the dentists, who were of course closed. Suddenly, my dentist called my cell phone out of the blue and I told him what was going on. So he came to the emergency room and started putting alcohol swabs in my mouth and said that was all he could do to help me. I was like "Whatttt? I don't want missing teeth, can't you give me some fake teeth?"

It was weeeeiiirrrrd.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 1, 2015

Umm, that really happened to at my school. Several years ago, over break, they came in & waxed floors. Didn't tell anyone. We came back on Monday & everything was in different places. Most of the furniture made it back to the correct rooms, just not where it was left. Some furniture was in the wrong rooms. Now we always ask what's going to be done over the breaks so that we are prepared when we come back.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

I haven't done anything school related other than sat down and planned out the next 3 weeks pretty closely (only took 1 hour, because I was just flipping through all the CAHSEE material, since we'll be focusing on that).
    Next week, Wednesday - Thursday and probably Friday I will go in every day for a few hours to clean, organize, print and make copies so I'll be ready. (I can't stay 1 day for 8 hours, I lose interest after a few hours and it's best to go home lol).

I know going to back to school will be so hard, after 3 weeks of relaxing, and I want to do most of the work ahead of time.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

None.

I rarely remember my dreams but when I do they are far more interesting than school dreams could ever be.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 1, 2015

I have school dreams sometimes, and ALWAYS at the end of vacations. I started having school dreams a couple of days ago. They're usually the same type - not ready, nothing planned, don't know how I'm in there and haven't gotten ready...lol. They always feel so real! I had a really weird one last night, but I don't really remember it.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2015

I have nightmares about this job all the time. Some while I'm sleeping and others from 8 am - 3 pm, Monday to Friday.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2015

I said earlier in a post that I never dream during Breaks only summer. Well thats changed and it was a doozie. The first part was team related. Lets just say I would never do what I did in my dream but boy did it feel good in my dream. So i went down to the Principals office to tell her what i had done before it got back to her. There was a ton of peole iin the office. She isnt mad at me for the stuff with my team just shocked i did it. Then she tells me im getting a new student who is severe but dont worry hes not in there much. The next part was kind of weird. I was in my classroom now but the kids in my dream except two i have no clue who they are. It was Valentines day party. One of the kids i knew brought in goodie bags and something for me. Then i had this "parent" following me arounf and he kept whispering who he needed to see. I finally asked him to say it out loud, but he didnt get the name correct. It was close but not quite right correct. Then the principal comes in during the party to observe. Then i have a grandparent who brings birthday stuff.There was more but its hazy. So my observation i have them work on numbers playing games at different tables. Oh i forgot to mention she came in with only 10 minutes to go until dismissal. So She watches and all she can say is our kids dont know numbers. Then I woke up. WEIRD!

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2015

I've had several. I don't sleep well and constantly wake up during the night, so I always remember my dreams. Earlier this week I had a dream that it was my observation and I'd forgotten about it, but in the dream I actually managed to turn things around and I felt like it went well. Towards the end, I realized it was a dream (this happens to me a lot too, since I'm such a light sleeper) and just started laughing. When my P came up to me in the dream to talk about the lesson, I looked at her and said, "Of course I don't want to talk about the lesson. Don't be silly, this is just a dream!" My mom says this means I am feeling confident in managing work stress, haha.

Last night I had a dream that my previous AP (who was a total nutcase) was working at my mom's school. All of the teachers were telling me that they liked her and I was telling all of them not to trust her. This is especially weird because my mom's school closed last year, and I haven't seen this AP in two years. Not sure what that one is really about!

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 4, 2015

I have school dreams all the time. Most of the time they are pleasant. Every once in a while, I'll have a dream where I'm stressing out about something.